AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funniest Book Review Ever
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Funniest Book Review Ever Reply with quote

After a morning taking my yowling cat to the vet for a check-up, I was sitting here stuffing my face with cinnamon grahams and Googling book reviews. I came across this one, and am lucky to not be scraping graham cracker scum from my laptop screen at this point.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/178167305

What is even more humorous is that the reviewer gave the book 5 stars. Smile

Happy Reading!
Judy
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priceless. That reviewer is my hero for the day!
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. May the reviewer receive all the raves she deserves Smile
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, funny, funny. I especially loved when the hero says, ""After I killed all those terrorists single handed just by brooding them to death, I went to America." (Do you think he might be a werewolf?)
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest Book Review Ever Reply with quote

Wow, this is so funny. Thanks for sharing.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the shagging part. LOL
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait? The author is Sharon Kendrick? She also wrote The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable Girl!

Best,
Lilly
JenL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG that was SO hilarious! LOL Very witty indeed. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillian Sulivan wrote:
Wait? The author is Sharon Kendrick? She also wrote The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable Girl!

Best,
Lilly

Yeah..well, the SB review is mean-spirited, the review that the op posted is all in good fun. There's a difference in the quality of the humor...at least to me.
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

Yeah..well, the SB review is mean-spirited, the review that the op posted is all in good fun. There's a difference in the quality of the humor...at least to me.

Yes, that's why I liked it. I mean, she gave the book a 5 star rating and told posters that if was good if you like ultra-Gothic. It struck me as a MAD Magazine or SNL skit version. Smile

Judy
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudyZ6666 wrote:

Yes, that's why I liked it. I mean, she gave the book a 5 star rating and told posters that if was good if you like ultra-Gothic. It struck me as a MAD Magazine or SNL skit version. Smile

Judy

Yes, me too. Otherwise, I wouldn't have commented. This is a fun, and acutally funny review where the reviewer liked the book. I have zero interest in the mean-spirited reviews where the reviewer puts the book on the chopping block just for the sake of a joke. Ugh. This is funny. Kudos to the reviewer. Entertaining!
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Lillian Sulivan wrote:

Best,
Lilly

Once again your disdain for bloggers is showing. Did you read the review at SB's or just reply to this post because it was a review at SB, a site you make no bones about disliking. Because I did follow the link and found the review hilarious and not at all 'mean spirited'. Any book where the hero calls his lady love "little lizard" as a phrase of affection deserves to be mocked. It deserves to as much as some of the reviews that have been posted here. Reviews such as the classic one that Marianne Stilling did number of years ago on the Connie Mason book where the horse magically changed colors and sex and even managed to get itself gelded and magically stallionized.

Be honest Xina, in the case of the review of The Playboy Sheik's Virgin Stable Girl (for heavens sake even the title alone needs a good mocking) it was no more mean spirited than many a review of a bad book, including many reviews at AAR. Funny, but I don't remember you objecting to them. And it was very funny to boot. It's perfectly fine not to like some of the bigger, more visible bloggers, but you don't have to broadcast your dislike of them at every opportunity you can, especially when they aren't doing anything worse than what we've seen here at this site. Call them out if you want when it's warranted, I'd have no issue with that, but it's this all encompassing brush you use that I find, to be honest, mean spirited on your part.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:

Once again your disdain for bloggers is showing. Did you read the review at SB's or just reply to this post because it was a review at SB, a site you make no bones about .

Kristie, I do not have a disdain for bloggers. I visit many...daily. However...I do not visit SB regularly. Not much of a fan. I do feel that the goodreads review was in fun. it was a playful review and topping that off, the reviewer gave the book a 5 star review. In comparison, the SB review, was mean spirited. True, I am not a fan of the blog and obviously do not appreciate the humor. To each her own.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Kristie(J) wrote:

Once again your disdain for bloggers is showing. Did you read the review at SB's or just reply to this post because it was a review at SB, a site you make no bones about .

Kristie, I do not have a disdain for bloggers. I visit many...daily. However...I do not visit SB regularly. Not much of a fan. I do feel that the goodreads review was in fun. it was a playful review and topping that off, the reviewer gave the book a 5 star review. In comparison, the SB review, was mean spirited. True, I am not a fan of the blog and obviously do not appreciate the humor. To each her own.

Well that must mean you must dislike most of the F reviews and many of the D reviews here then as they can just as "mean spirited" as the one you say is up at SB, which by the way I didn't think was mean spirited. Again I ask if you really read it. The vast majority of it was direct quotes from the book itself. And by reading them, the book is quite........purple and over the top in nature.

And, in honour of full disclosure I've met Sarah a number of times now and I like to think we've become friends. She's very funny, something I appreciate and passionate about the romance genre. But I don't really follow SB that much. And there are times I disagree with what I see when I do go there. So honestly, yes I feel like I'm defending a friend against unwarranted criticism as I think you give, as often as you can.

I thought one of the things we appreciate at AAR is their honest and sometimes snarky reviews. I thought we were past the rah, rah, every book is wonderful kind of review. Or is it only AAR that is allowed to write bitingly funny reviews when a book deserves it?
xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie, The purpose of my post was to compare the tone of the 2 reviews. I am sorry, but I stand behind my opinion that the SB review is mean-spirited and the 1st review from goodreads is more playful and fun. This isn't a rant against blogs, your friend Sarah, Smart Bitches, or negative reviews, but only a comparison of the two reviews. That is all. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: