AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your best feel good romance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Your best feel good romance Reply with quote

Hi all. It is 33 degrees, grey and slushy here in Michigan . I am in need of an escape. Please let me know your favorite feel good romance. Can be any genre, funny, sweet, but please no tortured/overly angsty heroes or heroines. If you can send some sunshine my way with your suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated Smile
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by Jayne Ann Krentz aka Amanda Quick aka Jayne Castle aka Stephanie James [and others that I don't recall right now].

Happy, cozy reading,
Kay
xina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite....Jillian Hunter's, Indiscretion. This book is packed with great lines coming from the hero. Love it. A couple more...
A Scandalous Proposal by Julia Justiss. Not hilarious, but very nice.
Getting Rid Of Bradley by Jennifer Cruise.
And come to think of it..one more, Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard.
Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridal Favors and Bridal Season by Connie Brockway
The Proposition by Judith Ivory

Last edited by Rosie on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a feel good romance is one with humor, I frequently do rereads of Lady Be Good by SEP and oldies but goodies Dara Joy's Matrix series or Sandra Hill's Viking books, Truly Madly Viking my fav.

Linda
Ash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Sophie Kinsella's new book "Iv Got Your Number" admittedly its more chick lit then romance but its a definite feel good book.

other then that you could try

Historicals:

What Happens In London- Julia Quinn
The Viscount Who Loved me-Julia Quinn
How The Marquess Was Won- Julie Anne Long
Last Nights Scandal- Loretta Chase
A Night To Surrender- Tessa Dare
Nine Rules To Break When Romancing A Rake -Sarah Maclean
My Dearest Enemy-Connie Brockway

Contemporary:

Match Me If You Can- Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love "A Garden Folly" by Candice Hern - it's hilarious and so cute! Lots of sunny gardens. Wink It made me smile!
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Play by Jill Shalvis (contemporary, baseball, hilarious)

Sunshine by Robin McKinley (vampire, not really a romance but irresistible recommendation based on your request)

*Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (YA, werewolf, romance, don't bother with the other two in the trilogy as this ends just fine)
*There is some sunshine in this book, though it takes place in the winter.

Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz (romance, contemporary, sort of paranormal, part of a series but okay to read alone, funny - author already recommended in this thread for very good reason - but this is, in my opinion, a stand-out AND it also takes place partly in Hawaii)

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella (already recommended, and with good reason - more chick lit and so very funny)
MEK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "feel goods" are books in which the hero is a true hero - no rakes or bad behavior - just good guys to the rescue!

I like Pamela Clare's Surrender and Untamed, but they may be a bit too intense for what you are looking for.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch of the Day by Kristan Higgins
A Lot Like Love by Julie James
The Mysterious Heir by Edith Layton
She Went All the Way by Megin Cabot
ladynaava

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet Evanovich's first few in the Stephanie Plum series always made me feel good. Later works, not so much, but they are comfort reads for many.
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladynaava wrote:
Janet Evanovich's first few in the Stephanie Plum series always made me feel good. Later works, not so much, but they are comfort reads for many.

Have you read the recent ones? I get these from the library (I don't buy them), so I do read the new ones when they come out. I read the first dozen or so in succession, as they were "new to me." I will say that there was a definitely slump in there, but somewhere in the teens they started getting multiple snorts out of me again.
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second Ash's suggestion of 'Last Night's Scandal' but add in Chase's 'Lord Perfect' to be read beforehand. The h/h in the former spend most of the book in a freezing dank castle in Scotland, so you might feel particularly able to empathise with their situation.

On the other hand, if you want sunshine, I'd recommend Mary Stewart's The Moonspinners. Admittedly, it's romantic suspense - but she writes with such a great sense of place that you are transported to hot, sunny Greece. (Also 'This Rough Magic' which is set in Corfu, and 'Madam, will you talk?' which is set in the South of France: but The Moonspinners is the one that makes me feel like I'm on some warm beach on holiday.)
Fenwick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudyZ6666 wrote:
ladynaava wrote:

Have you read the recent ones? I get these from the library (I don't buy them), so I do read the new ones when they come out. I read the first dozen or so in succession, as they were "new to me." I will say that there was a definitely slump in there, but somewhere in the teens they started getting multiple snorts out of me again.

I laughed out loud several times when I read the first 7 books. I bought the next 6 and laughed less often. ( an exception is the dog sh!t bomb scene) I no longer even borrow the books from my library. Stephanie changed for me from a klutz who was trying to earn a living to the butt of the joke, incompetent. I enjoyed Grandma Mazur and her family more in the first books too. They lost their appeal. The edge of cruelty in the writing came out more often.

When I am feeing down I like to read authors like Jennifer Crusie, Rachel Gibson and Susan Donovan. I also smile through SEP's Match Me If you Can and Natural Born Charmer. If I am feeling down a bit these books always make me feel better.
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Connie Brockway's latest, The Other Guy's Bride.

Also, The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie was wonderful, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: