AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are Kindle book prices getting so pricy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Why are Kindle book prices getting so pricy Reply with quote

I was just thinking of ordering two books and one was now 9.99 and the other 12.99. I mean really what happened. It started being 5.99 then moved to the 7.99 range now it's this high? Are the publishers pushing this? Like it's ridiculous.
Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this happening also. I'm not comfortable with this sort of pricing. I might as well wait for the paperback to buy it used.
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious. Which books are you talking about?

I have to admit that there have been so many good deals and freebies lately that I've been spending a lot of time reading those. Some good, some not so good!
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Kindle book prices getting so pricy Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
I was just thinking of ordering two books and one was now 9.99 and the other 12.99. I mean really what happened. It started being 5.99 then moved to the 7.99 range now it's this high? Are the publishers pushing this? Like it's ridiculous.

It's a product of the agreement that requires Amazon to let the publishers set Kindle pricing.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH that's terrible. I invested largely for convenience but also for the fact that they seemed to offer good deals on the price so it was a good investment at the time. At the very least keep it within the same price range of a paperback.

I agree if that's going to be future standard I'll wait for the paperback used and purchase then. Much like the over price of movies and you end up waiting for everything to come out on rental.

That's really sad that they think they can overcharge that way.

I was referring to the latest Lisa Kleypas book coming out which showed at 9.99 but I also saw the same thing with another book weeks ago I was interested in purchasing and decided not to when it was priced at 12.99 might have been a Maggie Osborne book. Seeing it more and more.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Kindle book prices getting so pricy Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Islandgirl2 wrote:

It's a product of the agreement that requires Amazon to let the publishers set Kindle pricing.

Right, the publishers now set the prices for all the retailers and the stores are not allowed to offer discounts or other rewards either. My only discount I manage is that I use my B&N MasterCard for all ebook purchases so I get an instant 5% cash back. Not great but better than nothing. I'm not going to purchase the paperbacks because I have no more room for books but I don't buy nearly as much as I used to. Not many of the freebies are that great, IMHO, but I am picky, haha.

Linda
Jane A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lisa Kleypas book is probably coming out in hardback, isn't it? In that case, I'll probably just get it from my library. I recently read Lothaire by Kresley Cole from a library book. When it comes out in MMP, I'll buy it as an ebook.

I hate the Agency pricing, which I think is what you're talking about. My purchases of books from those publlishers has gone way down since the inception of that "brilliant" idea.

I agree that many freebies are not very good, but I've picked up enough of them that I've gotten some enjoyable reads in. In addition, the recent release of inexpensive backlist books has also been fueling my reading addiction. I'd say my book buying habits have changed pretty dramatically since the onset of Agency pricing.
Fenwick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your comments about Agency Pricing and cutting down on the number of books I buy for my reader.

I bought the ereader just before the Agency started to enforce this policy on the sellers of ebooks. I had planned to replace my keepers (in case I have to downsize soon. )

I picked up some bargains ( the Heyers , Roberta Gellis and some Loretta Chase) but wrote off rebuying 1000 plus keepers for my ereader. (I enjoy saving 10 thousand dollars)

At the same time, I looked at the newly released books I bought monthly and let pile up in my TBR pile. I am buying just 2 or 3 books a month now instead of 2 or 3 a week. I pruned my buy list down to authors I would read within a week . (The money savings of 30 book vs 150 a year added up since I also bought hardcovers which I no longer do.)

I pick up hardcovers from the library and most times pass on the mass market release and keep a list for family to use for holiday gifting suggestions. (I will pass on the $14.99 JD Robb this week but borrow it a couple of times from the library.)

I am really enjoying the books I do buy to read without feeling overwhelmed and am enjoying donating the books I know I will never reread . My unexpected results of my anger over agency pricing!!
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon seems to be the only publisher experimenting with e-book prices (such as discounts on new releases), but I wonder how long that will last. I don't see how high prices will drive readers back to print books--based on the general consensus, if the ebook is too expensive, many don't bother buying the book in any format.
Fenwick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
Avon seems to be the only publisher experimenting with e-book prices (such as discounts on new releases), but I wonder how long that will last. I don't see how high prices will drive readers back to print books--based on the general consensus, if the ebook is too expensive, many don't bother buying the book in any format.

I think Harlequin sometimes does it too. I bought some Carla Kelly ebooks Harlequin put on sale.

I seldom buy Avon any more, no matter the price or format. My friends who do not own readers have also mentioned not buying the old publishers. Too much "sameness" and series which have lost their way.

The agency pricing fiasco drew a line in the sand for me. I have discovered some great non-agency authors and am also enjoying my keepers again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: