AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Deanna Raybourn: Good news and bad news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: New Deanna Raybourn: Good news and bad news Reply with quote

Bad news first: May 2013.

Good news: Set in 1923. In Africa. Title, A Spear of Summer Grass

Sorry, I need to repeat that to myself because I can't believe it. It's not only a historical not set in England, it's set in Africa. It's set in the early 20th century. And the title is absolutely awesome.

I don't need to know any more. I'm buying it. In, like, a year, that is.
Juliette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this part of the Julia and Brisbane series?
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:
Is this part of the Julia and Brisbane series?

Apparently it's a standalone. Which is totally cool with me; I quite liked Dead Travel Fast. I think there's a J&B Christmas novella in the works.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Deanna Raybourn Reply with quote

The setting sounds interesting. Have you read any of the Jade del Cameron mysteries (set in 1920s Africa)? I enjoyed the first one; hope to get to the others soon.

I also liked The Dead Travel Fast. So I would try anything she wrote.

Another writer I liked is Charles Todd (mom and son writing team). There is something a bit romantic about those books (Ian's relationship with Meredith Channing, but he himself is a bit of a Gothic hero).

Denise
HEAreader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a book signing last year where Deanna talked a lot about this book. Her editor wanted her to take a break from Julia and Brisbane, and Deanna was interested in this setting and character from some family history (the heroine is somewhat similar to her grandmother). I honestly can't remember all she said - for some reason, I think her next couple of books may be about this period and maybe these characters. The release date was put off because they wanted it to be a summer book and wouldn't be ready for this summer. She had a lot of research to do but seemed very excited - and added that this hero makes Brisbane look tame. I am doing a great injustice to her talk, only remembering her enthusiasm and overall impressions, so I may have gotten some of the details wrong. As much as I will miss Julia and Brisbane, I am looking forward to this book - and she did promise that J&B will be back!
Eggletina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader wrote:
She had a lot of research to do but seemed very excited - and added that this hero makes Brisbane look tame.

Hmm... sounds intriguing. I just started reading the Julia Grey mysteries (currently in the middle of Silent on the Moor right now). I'm really enjoying these. The Africa book sounds promising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: