AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James- Opinions/Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Linda, I wouldn't know how to answer you. I'm a fanfic reader but I have 0 problem with 50 being published. I barely know the Twilight Fandom. I only started looking into it after reading 50. I'm mainly a HP fanfic reader. I'm a fan of Hermione/Snape stories. It's *not* as gross as it sounds and there are many talented writers writing for this ship. It would appeal to readers who like May/December romances and even to those who don't, I think.

Re-your reserve about reading fiction, I completely understand. Speaking for myself, I only read fanfic when the author left me wanting. I do love the original HP series and the world JKR created but I'm first and foremost a romance reader and the original books don't provide much of it (and what it gives me doesn't really appeal to me. Good thing I wasn't reading the series for the romance!). Some talented fanfic writers revisit secondary characters and breathe more life into them. They also give them an adult spin that JKR never provided. Snape was always a favorite of mine and I wished we'd seen more of him in the original series. Fanfiction gives me Snape as a main character and I love it.

@LikesBadBoys, I hope you like what you read if you dip your toes into the fanfic pool! If you're only interested in the Twilight fandom, there are a couple of reliable rec sites that only feature high quality stories. Speaking as a newbie in that fandom, they've been invaluable to me. There are way too many stories out there to know where to start on your own.

@bethaboo, I haven't read Wide Awake but I remember seeing it recommended several times. Isn't it the one where Edward is grieving for a lost love? If it is, that's the reason I gave it a pass. I don't favor romances where one of the main characters has loved deeply before. And considering Edward's character in the original series, it's even more of a no-no for me. I can't see him loving anyone else but Bella. SM had him remain "untouched" so to speak and that's how I like my Edwards in fanfics. I stay clear of fics with an Edward who played around too much or who had a life with someone else. I like all the possibilities fanfic can offer but I want the characters to remain true to the original.

Last edited by Estelle on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I happen to enjoy an alpha hero if that helps. )

No kidding! (oooooooh, Christian Grey....Homer Simpson glazed over expression). Wink I'm actually hard pressed to think of a beta male romance novel that I enjoyed.

By the way, I finished The Hunger Games and now I am on to The Bronze Horseman. Really enjoyed it!

Quote:
@LikesBadBoys, I hope you like what you read if you dip your toes into the fanfic pool! If you're only interested in the Twilight fandom, there are a couple of reliable rec sites that only feature high quality stories. Speaking as a newbie in that fandom, they've been invaluable to me. There are way too many stories out there to know where to start on your own.

I adore HP and curiously enough, have always found Alan Rickman's Snape kind of sexy. I'd really have to stretch for the Hermione/Snape connection because of the age difference, but it might not be completely squicky, especially if I stop picturing the actors. Hmm, I'm intrigued.

Last edited by LikesBadBoys on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, I just saw your last post.

Would you prefer an All Human Alternate Universe story to stay as far as possible from the original or would you also be tempted by a regular AU (Alternate Universe but with Edward and the Cullens as vampires)?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:
Linda, I just saw your last post.

Would you prefer an All Human Alternate Universe story to stay as far as possible from the original or would you also be tempted by a regular AU (Alternate Universe but with Edward and the Cullens as vampires)?

Estelle you're so thoughtful! Hmmm, I don't think it matters if they are human or vampire. Though probably not HP related because I'm not big on magic, strangely I can do vampires or shifters though. My only special request is please give me a sexy alpha male to enjoy if you've got one. Smile

I am with you in that I don't want either the hero or heroine to have had another big love of their life. I want the H&H to be that for each other.

Likesbadboys, you crack me up, you've got the perfect forum name! Lol. Do you think we'd do better if we haven't read the original book the FF is based on? Then we don't need to do name changes, haha

Linda
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:
Quote:
I happen to enjoy an alpha hero if that helps. )

I adore HP and curiously enough, have always found Alan Rickman's Snape kind of sexy. I'd really have to stretch for the Hermione/Snape connection because of the age difference, but it might not be completely squicky, especially if I stop picturing the actors. Hmm, I'm intrigued.

If you're tempted to try the Snape/Hermione pairing, I can't recommend the wonderful Camerado by the very talented MillieJoan enough. It's a work in progress but there are about 150K words written so far. It's a kind of behind the scenes for books 6 & 7 with the possibility of an AU ending for Snape. ( the author has finished covering book 6 and has started digging in the time between book 6 and book 7) No romance per se yet but it's heading there slowly. The fic isn't squiky at all. It has the best written Snape and Hermione I've ever read. It's nothing so simple as HBP and DH told from Hermione or Snape's point of view. It's a complex tightly plotted story that explores areas left in shadows by JKR. I've mentioned above that I don't like characters that have loved deeply before but Camerado is the only story with a male lead like that (Snape and his love for Lily when he was younger) which I love wholeheartedly.

If you'd like to read something complete and with an actual romantic relationship, I have other recs Wink

@Linda, since I'm very new to the Twilight fandom, I still haven't read many fics but one I enjoyed a lot is Creature of Habit by EZRocksAngel. It's available on Fanfiction.net although I do recommend using the flagfic website and converting it as an epub so that you can read it on an ebook reader. It's complete and about 200K words. It states that Edward and Bella are OOC (Out Of Character) but I found them very similar to their original versions. It's an AU in that Edward and Bella are older. Edward is a vampire but has left the Cullen to live on his own -- they're not estranged though. He's got a CEO by day vigilante by night gig going on.

I'm a fan of Alphas as well and I find Edward to be very much so in many fics. He's a guilty pleasure. Possessive, overprotective, thinks he knows what's best, a bit scary on the side etc... It won't come as a surprise that I also like Kresley Cole or Lisa Marie Rice's heroes Very Happy Christian was very much an alpha in 50 and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the trilogy so much.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a fan of Alphas as well and I find Edward to be very much so in many fics. He's a guilty pleasure. Possessive, overprotective, thinks he knows what's best, a bit scary on the side etc... It won't come as a surprise that I also like Kresley Cole or Lisa Marie Rice's heroes Christian was very much an alpha in 50 and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the trilogy so much.

Thanks for the recs! I may have to look into some of the Snape fanfic stuff. He's definitely one of my favorite characters from HP.

I enjoy Lisa Marie Rice as well and I remember plowing through Kresley Cole's Desire series. Shannon McKenna has some craaaaazy alphas, as someone mentioned on AAR before. After I heard how crazy they were, I went and consumed her entire McCloud brothers series and then some. I also enjoy Brockmann, old school Linda Howard, and Kleypas's historical and contemporary alphas. Ward and Singh are great for paranormal alphas.

And yes, Christian was an alpha in every sense of the word. There's something really intriguing about his ability to control all of that aggression and emotion that's right beneath the surface. The scene where he and Ana first meet will definitely go down as one of my favorite initial h/h meets. I enjoyed watching Ana drive him bat---- crazy for three books because it's fun to watch him lose control and then rein it in again.
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:
Quote:
I'm a fan of Alphas as well and I find Edward to be very much so in many fics. He's a guilty pleasure. Possessive, overprotective, thinks he knows what's best, a bit scary on the side etc... It won't come as a surprise that I also like Kresley Cole or Lisa Marie Rice's heroes Christian was very much an alpha in 50 and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the trilogy so much.

Thanks for the recs! I may have to look into some of the Snape fanfic stuff. He's definitely one of my favorite characters from HP.

I enjoy Lisa Marie Rice as well and I remember plowing through Kresley Cole's Desire series. Shannon McKenna has some craaaaazy alphas, as someone mentioned on AAR before. After I heard how crazy they were, I went and consumed her entire McCloud brothers series and then some. I also enjoy Brockmann, old school Linda Howard, and Kleypas's historical and contemporary alphas. Ward and Singh are great for paranormal alphas.

And yes, Christian was an alpha in every sense of the word. There's something really intriguing about his ability to control all of that aggression and emotion that's right beneath the surface. The scene where he and Ana first meet will definitely go down as one of my favorite initial h/h meets. I enjoyed watching Ana drive him bat---- crazy for three books because it's fun to watch him lose control and then rein it in again.

You might want to head over there: http://mujaji.net/kia/ and click on the pairing you'd like. The pairings are written with intitials and anything SS will have Snape as one of the main characters. The recs are always of the highest quality and the people who rec the fics say what makes them special and provide links, summaries and sometimes excerpts.

The recs for Hermione/Snape are here: http://mujaji.net/kia/?cat=5
There are 650 of them so that's still quite a lot to wade through.

I love all of the authors you mentioned and I too really enjoyed Christian and Ana's first meeting. I loved reading it from Christian's perspective as well. There were some real surprises in store from me. I'd imagined some stuff differently so it was interesting to see what he was really thinking. Although, after reading a long outtake from his point of view (well, technically it was a MotU outtake but that's the same thing), I do think that his actions are more important and more revealing than his thoughts.

SPOILERS

Take when Ana left him. Reading this portion of the book from Ana's point of view left me feeling he was broken and could hardly function anymore. He was desperate and would have been ready to do anything to get her back by the time he contacts her. But when you read it from his point of view, at first he doesn't seem as affected as what Ana's point of view led us to believe. But then it became clear to me that he's numb. The shock was so big that it doesn't seem real and he continues on with his life like an automaton. It's obvious to those around him that he's broken but in his little bubble, he has trouble expressing his feelings even to himself because it's all so new and huge.

I would really love to read an outtake from his point of view of the scene when he believes Ana is leaving him again. The scene when he completely breaks down and kneel on the floor like a submissive. It would be interesting to compare the two.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take when Ana left him. Reading this portion of the book from Ana's point of view left me feeling he was broken and could hardly function anymore. He was desperate and would have been ready to do anything to get her back by the time he contacts her. But when you read it from his point of view, at first he doesn't seem as affected as what Ana's point of view led us to believe. But then it became clear to me that he's numb. The shock was so big that it doesn't seem real and he continues on with his life like an automaton. It's obvious to those around him that he's broken but in his little bubble, he has trouble expressing his feelings even to himself because it's all so knew and huge.

I would really love to read an outtake from his point of view of the scene when he believes Ana is leaving him again. The scene when he completely breaks down and kneel on the floor like a submissive. It would be interesting to compare the two.

SPOILERY RESPONSE

I liked the snippets from his perspective too and I want to read more to really hear those conversations he's having with Mrs. Jones and to see him all torn up and building that model airplane by himself. Not to mention the first time he has vanilla sex with Ana. He sounds kind of lacksadasical about it, but in a way that you can tell he's deliberately downplaying it.

And then there's those moments in the apartment alone with Leila. She had to have asked why Ana and not her. I'd like to hear those answers. So yeah, I want E.L. James to write more of the same story from Christian's perspective.
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He sounds kind of lacksadasical about it, but in a way that you can tell he's deliberately downplaying it.

Yes, that's exactly the way I saw it as well! He's such a repressed control freak that even his thoughts aren't that reliable. You have go by his actions and his words in ungarded moments.

I would like to read more about his point of view as well but I remember reading somewhere that back when it was still MotU, the author didn't really like writing Edward's point of view. I've no clue if that's true or just fandom gossip though.

Seeing the success of the series, E L James might reconsider. Although maybe she'd prefer not to in case people get on her back about writing from Christian's point of view when Stephenie Meyer already did kind of the same thing with Edward and Midnight Sun. I can see her wanting to distance herself from any Twilight association now that she's made it.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:
[@Linda, since I'm very new to the Twilight fandom, I still haven't read many fics but one I enjoyed a lot is Creature of Habit by EZRocksAngel. It's available on Fanfiction.net although I do recommend using the flagfic website and converting it as an epub so that you can read it on an ebook reader. It's complete and about 200K words. It states that Edward and Bella are OOC (Out Of Character) but I found them very similar to their original versions. It's an AU in that Edward and Bella are older. Edward is a vampire but has left the Cullen to live on his own -- they're not estranged though. He's got a CEO by day vigilante by night gig going on.

I'm a fan of Alphas as well and I find Edward to be very much so in many fics. He's a guilty pleasure. Possessive, overprotective, thinks he knows what's best, a bit scary on the side etc... It won't come as a surprise that I also like Kresley Cole or Lisa Marie Rice's heroes Very Happy Christian was very much an alpha in 50 and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the trilogy so much.

Ohhhh I am loving the sound of Edward in your descriptions! LOL *rubs hands together* I just downloaded Creatures of Habit from the flagfic site and put it on my Nook, how cool is that! I'll read it after I finished Beautiful Disaster.

So how about any featuring Eric from Sookieverse? Very Happy

I am also a fan of the older Linda Howard heroes, Lisa Marie Rice, Shannon McKenna, Dara Joy, Sookie's Eric and whatever other alpha males I can get my hands on, haha

If you all think you could so an Urban Fantasy series that does not have romance I cannot recommend Rob Thurman's Cal and Niko series enough. These are two HOT alpha male brothers that kick ass! The writing is also very good. The first one is titled Nightlife, it's like the tv series Supernatural in book form and the guys are HOTTER, lol

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love to see more of FSoG from Christian's POV, the little bits were got were wonderful but also a tease. I wonder if the author has considered it? I'm ready to write a letter if i Know somewhere to send it too, lol.

Spoiler in white - yes the airplane, I wanted so very much to be with him as he's building it! I also loved that Ana slept with the balloon under her pillow. These little gestures mean so much to a reader, it was very sweet. I also enjoyed the small glimpses into his childhood, the Christmas Tree, that his first word was Mia. I love my alpha males but it's also all the sweeter when they have a soft spot for their loved ones.

Linda
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read True Blood/Sookie fanfiction so I can't rec anything but I would love to read a well-written Eric/Sookie as well. Maybe someone will point us in the right direction?

I hope you enjoy Creature of Habits. The writing isn't as professional as some of my favorite HP fics but the fic is very readable and the story compelling.

Don't hesitate to ditch it after a few chapters if it's not your thing though. There are literally tens of thousands of Twilight fics on the net and there's bound to be something just for you Very Happy

And you remind me that I do need to read Beautiful Disaster. I have it on my ereader but haven't started it yet. I'll finish the Twilight fanfic I'm currently reading and then I'll dive into it. It sounds like my cup of tea.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would also love to see more of FSoG from Christian's POV, the little bits were got were wonderful but also a tease. I wonder if the author has considered it? I'm ready to write a letter if i Know somewhere to send it too, lol.

She is definitely thinking about doing some of the series from his perspective, but has said she wants to try writing something new (a paranorm) first. That's why she hasn't written more extras like the ones included with book 3. She wants to conserve it for a possible rendering of the story from Christian's POV. And.....

SPOILER

On her website, she also said that it would be interesting to see Christian with the baby.
mirole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a new topic on Romance Potpourri Forum about controversy surrounding FSoG and another book that is being mentioned here quite a lot - Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I encourage everybody to weigh in over there and also to hear your thoughts on comparison of the two books.

Re movie version: I agree with those who say HBO series would be better than a movie, at least then we could hope for some depth to the story presented on screen. I love Ryan Gosling but I think he's a bit old. One thing is clear, the actor should have tons of charisma and RG has it.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Re movie version: I agree with those who say HBO series would be better than a movie, at least then we could hope for some depth to the story presented on screen. I love Ryan Gosling but I think he's a bit old. One thing is clear, the actor should have tons of charisma and RG has it.

I just now read a blog where he suggested...Wentworth Miller and Natalie Portman.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: