AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James- Opinions/Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I keep hearing that E.L. James stated from the outset that she was out to turn a profit. Wouldn't that make her a different animal entirely if she disclosed that in the beginning?

If I understood the situation correctly, she did not actually make this generally known. She mentioned it privately to another Twilight fanfic writer that she commissioned to design her blog/website and the said fanfic writer made parts of their conversations available on the net after she learned 50 was being published because it left a bad taste in her mouth -- as a fanfic writer she stated that she would never "pull to publish" and it didn't sit well that EL James did. There was a huge uproar after it became known that she'd "used" the Twilight fanbase to get to where she is now.

As an avid fanfic reader myself, I'm wondering if people on this thread are now tempted to try a few high quality fanfics? There are some truly outstanding stories out there for romance readers like us.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:
Quote:
I keep hearing that E.L. James stated from the outset that she was out to turn a profit. Wouldn't that make her a different animal entirely if she disclosed that in the beginning?

If I understood the situation correctly, she did not actually make this generally known. She mentioned it privately to another Twilight fanfic writer that she commissioned to design her blog/website and the said fanfic writer made parts of their conversations available on the net after she learned 50 was being published because it left a bad taste in her mouth -- as a fanfic writer she stated that she would never "pull to publish" and it didn't sit well that EL James did. There was a huge uproar after it became known that she'd "used" the Twilight fanbase to get to where she is now.

As an avid fanfic reader myself, I'm wondering if people on this thread are now tempted to try a few high quality fanfics? There are some truly outstanding stories out there for romance readers like us.

I don't understand this mindset of 'using' the fan fiction community, are they saying they never would have consented to read it if they had known there was a chance it might someday be published? No one was forced to read her fiction or held a gun to anyone's head to purchase it once it was published. This sounds a lot like jealousy and sour grapes to me, from the outside looking in anyway.

I do have more respect for the quality of fan fiction now, though I am still skeptical that I'd enjoy the actual thing. I think using the same character's names but not having the same author would be a put - off. That was my experience with my one time of trying it anyway. If I'm reading the names Edward and Bella I'm going to want Edward and Bella and as Stephenie Meyer created them. I think I'd do better as I have with FSoG where the names were changed and there is very little resemblance to the original, then I can appreciate it on it's own rather than comparing to the original.

Linda
bethaboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle wrote:

every time I see a discussion regarding recommendations for readers who loved 50 Shades, I always think: wow, I can think about 20-30 fanfics that you would LOVE. 50 Shades is pretty similar in style/mode to a lot of AU Twilight fanfiction.

Not sure if you ever read Wide Awake, but I always thought AG could have made 10x what EL James did.
bethaboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

I don't understand this mindset of 'using' the fan fiction community, are they saying they never would have consented to read it if they had known there was a chance it might someday be published? No one was forced to read her fiction or held a gun to anyone's head to purchase it once it was published. This sounds a lot like jealousy and sour grapes to me, from the outside looking in anyway.

Linda, I know it SOUNDS like sour grapes, but it's not.

I do not have the link to the entire article that was published that described the situation and gave long chunks of quotations from EL James, but a lot of it was frankly fairly distasteful, including massive complaints about being "forced" to write for charity, when it was entirely based on volunteers, and saying that if she had to write for charity then she was going to get her "pay day" too. Obviously, this is probably a lot more sensitive of an issue to those of us in the fanfiction community than those who aren't. There are plenty of authors I don't "like" personally, but I enjoy their writing.

As for the fanfiction thing, I said it above but I'll repeat it again. If you liked 50 Shades, you would like more than a few AU fanfictions out there. Most of them have about as much to do with Twilight as 50 and are very well-written and engaging.
bethaboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I actually found the link to the article that quotes EL James:

http://gentleblaze.livejournal.com/514.html

Obviously, read at your own discretion, but enough people seemed skeptical of the source/information that I thought I would make it available for those that wanted to check it out.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethaboo wrote:
Estelle wrote:

every time I see a discussion regarding recommendations for readers who loved 50 Shades, I always think: wow, I can think about 20-30 fanfics that you would LOVE. 50 Shades is pretty similar in style/mode to a lot of AU Twilight fanfiction.

Not sure if you ever read Wide Awake, but I always thought AG could have made 10x what EL James did.

Beth, feel free to share a rec or is this Wide Awake available for me to see? I'll give it a shot, can't hurt to try.

I'd like to hear E. L. James side of things, but it's not crucial. I am just looking at it from a reader's perspective that really enjoyed the 50 books, I can't get resentful of how they came to be, I'm just glad they did.

Linda
bethaboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Beth, feel free to share a rec or is this Wide Awake available for me to see? I'll give it a shot, can't hurt to try.

I'd like to hear E. L. James side of things, but it's not crucial. I am just looking at it from a reader's perspective that really enjoyed the 50 books, I can't get resentful of how they came to be, I'm just glad they did.

Linda

Here is a link to Wide Awake. I think it's a good start for those who enjoyed the drama-angst of 50 and the romantic connection:

http://angstgoddess003.livejournal.com/26566.html
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:
I'm also grateful for cora's explanation. It really puts a lot of the "I'll never buy a fan fiction" comments in context. Clearly, a lot of readers of FSoG do not inhabit this world of fan fiction. I know I had no idea these kinds of taboos around compensation for fan fiction existed. To me, it sounded like people were refusing to pay for it because of its origin, like "why would I pay for THAT?" rather than "it's a fan fiction, no one should be asked to pay for it because the author should not sell for profit." Those are two distinctly different things.
?

It makes more sense to me than the calls of bad writing and danger to women, for those that actually have read it before criticizing.

Linda
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll get to fan fics, probably soon too. I'm not against anything that's high quality romance. I'm not a Twilight fan, so I'd probably be more drawn to those that have some real distance from the original characters/plot. Even better if the names are different.

Happy to hear that other fan fic writers are publishing. It sort of breaks my heart that some really good fiction is confined to an enclosed community. I know if it's free, anyone should be able to get it, but there doesn't seem to be that much exposure to the stories if you are outside of the fan fic community. If there are stories 10x better than FSoG, it's a shame that all of this stuff gets in the way of more people knowing about them and finding them.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethaboo wrote:
So I actually found the link to the article that quotes EL James:

http://gentleblaze.livejournal.com/514.html

Obviously, read at your own discretion, but enough people seemed skeptical of the source/information that I thought I would make it available for those that wanted to check it out.

Ah, I'm a little skeptical of this blog, it sounds like she's trying to do a hatchet job on E.L. James and convince people she's a rotten person. It doesn't reflect well on her, IMHO and I'm disappointed to see she wrote Wide Awake. She states she wouldn't publish it even if offered due to moral issues. Well, we all have to live with ourselves but I doubt I would feel the same in her shoes.

Unicorns for orgasms? I think I might need to try a different fan fiction, lol

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now starting to wonder how much animosity towards E.L. James personally is based on hearsay, never mind the comments about her books. This is starting to get a 'mean girl' vibe - well I heard so and so said this or that...nooo! What a rotten person! Etc. etc. I think all my future discussion of this author is going to be based on her work rather than the personal attacks, it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Linda
bethaboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I'm now starting to wonder how much animosity towards E.L. James personally is based on hearsay, never mind the comments about her books. This is starting to get a 'mean girl' vibe - well I heard so and so said this or that...nooo! What a rotten person! Etc. etc. I think all my future discussion of this author is going to be based on her work rather than the personal attacks, it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Linda

*shrug* I suppose you could say that, but then again, I know AG003 personally and if there's anyone less a mean girl it's her. Do I agree 100% with what she did? Not necessarily, but it was definitely information that should be known.

I would honestly try Wide Awake. it's very well written. but if you don't want to, I am happy to recommend others.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Linda

I am always suspicious of showing comments made out of context. And this happens all the time online.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethaboo wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Linda

*shrug* I suppose you could say that, but then again, I know AG003 personally and if there's anyone less a mean girl it's her. Do I agree 100% with what she did? Not necessarily, but it was definitely information that should be known.

I would honestly try Wide Awake. it's very well written. but if you don't want to, I am happy to recommend others.

It's ok Beth, I'm just not comfortable with the direction the conversation was taking, it's coming across more as bullying.

Sure, I would love another rec! I happen to enjoy an alpha hero if that helps. Smile. Oops, messed up my smiley face.

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="xina"]
Linda in sw va wrote:

I am always suspicious of showing comments made out of context. And this happens all the time online.

And the agenda behind it, it happens with reviews as well. For what it's worth I could sure use a big pay day myself! Lol. Have you read the third yet xina?

Linda
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: