AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James- Opinions/Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jamie: you call this book
Quote:
a poorly written and poorly edited piece of fan fic dreck
and you have a right to this opinion if you have actually read this book just as I have a right to say that I consider "The Countess Below Stairs" by Eve Ibbotson a poorly written piece of dreck. Seriously, why does she get away with all her one-dimensional characters and all her repetitions? Other well-liked romance that are in my bottom five are Unveiled by Courntey Milan and Here Comes the Groom by Karina Bliss (which I called anti-romance).

Yes, I read it and I resent the time and money I wasted on it. I did not read the next two parts because I didn't want to torture myself further with more of the heroine's endless navel gazing. I have not read "The Countess Below Stairs" and have no idea whether it's a good book or not.

I also did not know before I read it that this series began as a fan fic and it bothers me that James took the characters and the frame work from a published author and is making money off somebody else creation. And I say this as somebody who is not a Twilight fan.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
Quote:
and you have a right to this opinion if you have actually read this book just as I have a right to say that I consider "The Countess Below Stairs" by Eve Ibbotson a poorly written piece of dreck. Seriously, why does she get away with all her one-dimensional characters and all her repetitions? Other well-liked romance that are in my bottom five are Unveiled by Courntey Milan and Here Comes the Groom by Karina Bliss (which I called anti-romance).

Sure, you can express those opinions, although I am uncertain why they are relevant in this specific thread, or why Erika felt the need to inform us that it's better than a Judy Cuevas book. That's not even the same genre! What's the point in comparing them?

I can't speak as to other people's reasons for not reading the 50 Shades books, but I can tell you that the DA review was very detailed and made me fairly certain that I would not enjoy it. To make sure, I checked out the Amazon sample, and felt that it was poorly written and not worth reading further. In addition, I am going to guess that many people are not interested in trying a new author at that price point, especially since it is, essentially, unedited fanfic. And while it's clear that it's unedited fanfic that works for many people, I don't think it's priced to sell for those who are less inclined to take a risk on something new. Most self-pubbed authors are not charging 9.99 for an e-book and $30 for a hard copy.

However, you do not need to defend yourself for liking this book, or any book, and you don't need to list the more "acceptable" books that you've enjoyed. Different books will work for different people for different reasons. But by the same token, this means that not everyone will be into 50 SoG - or even interested in reading it - and discussing the reasons for this is no less valid a reaction than explaining why it's a great book.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd chime in since I started this thread.
1. I love this site/board! Reading the reviews/blogs/forums have become my favorite thing to do while I drink my morning coffee/eat breakfast.
2. I appreciate everyone's responses, good, bad, and ugly. It seems for every, "Oh my g-d, I can never get back the time I wasted reading this book", there is a equally positively charged review. I find it fascinating that this book is such a lightning rod(Hey AAR, perhaps a review is in order). Someone mentioned on another thread that it would be nice to know more data on the annual poll. Clearly many people liked the book enough to make it tie for favorite erotica. I wonder what landed it in this spot. Is it that people who voted did not have much to compare it too, ie: are not romantica/erotica readers, but stumbled across this via word of mouth? Or were they seasoned romantica/erotica readers and felt this was the best of the genre? Did knowing it was based on fanfiction detract or enhance the reading( I read a lot of Jane Austen fanfiction and could see this going either way)?
3.I did buy the ebook for $6.99 If it were not available as an ebook, there is no way I would pay $29.00 for hard cover. That pricing is ridiculous. Will let you know what I think when I get to it:)
[/b]
erika

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
mirole wrote:
Quote:

Sure, you can express those opinions, although I am uncertain why they are relevant in this specific thread, or why Erika felt the need to inform us that it's better than a Judy Cuevas book. That's not even the same genre! What's the point in comparing them?

I can't speak as to other people's reasons for not reading the 50 Shades books, but I can tell you that the DA review was very detailed and made me fairly certain that I would not enjoy it. To make sure, I checked out the Amazon sample, and felt that it was poorly written and not worth reading further. In addition, I am going to guess that many people are not interested in trying a new author at that price point, especially since it is, essentially, unedited fanfic. And while it's clear that it's unedited fanfic that works for many people, I don't think it's priced to sell for those who are less inclined to take a risk on something new. Most self-pubbed authors are not charging 9.99 for an e-book and $30 for a hard copy.

However, you do not need to defend yourself for liking this book, or any book, and you don't need to list the more "acceptable" books that you've enjoyed. Different books will work for different people for different reasons. But by the same token, this means that not everyone will be into 50 SoG - or even interested in reading it - and discussing the reasons for this is no less valid a reaction than explaining why it's a great book.

I mentioned Cuevas book because I can because Cuevas is a popular among many here and not everyone likes what's trending popular among posters here.
Apparently I was willing to try a new author at this price. I'm also new to ebooks so I'm finding out what's overpriced and what's reasonable. Good thing this buy was a good read because I have no regrets about the purchase price.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I detest all things Twilight and had no idea this was a related fan fic. I don't really care either since I loved all three Fifty Shades books and found the characters compelling and endearing. I don't claim to have fabulous taste or anything, but I can't enjoy a book when I feel it's badly written. This one wasn't. I also want to put it out there that even well established writers who did not get there start writing fan fic are not always great with grammar. And really, what's wrong with fan fiction anyway? Not getting why there's a stigma there.
nonesuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Fifty Shades Series Reply with quote

sbmrb1 wrote:
There are a million reviews, analyses, opinion pieces, all over the websites, blogs, goodreads, you name it. EVERYONE has an opinion. So why NOT read it? I purchased all three books, read them and, quite frankly, was annoyed, enthralled, happy, annoyed again, but got a lot of entertainment value out of the books.

I felt exactly the same alternating emotions of annoyance and, other nicer things. I have read and enjoyed some BDSM books in the past, and I was put off by the way it was woven into the plot in the first book. I almost didn't pick up the other two, but I was horribly curious. Turns out, there was more to the story than that. If all three books are considered as a whole, in fact, I don't think it would fall into BDSM category. Just...slightly bent? Smile

This trilogy has a lot of pitfalls--(The references to an inner goddess in almost every paragraph made me think this was a secondary character. So annoying!) But this has been an entertaining read in its imperfection.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished 50 Shades of Grey last night. For most of the book I felt like I was watching an emotional train wreck in slow motion. The hero Christian Grey is an severely emotionally damaged person who only has BDSM relationships with women. Anastasia Steele is a very inexperienced, virginal college senior, who is immediately taken with Mr. Grey. Unfortunately for her, the feeling is mutual, and this set off an intense angsty connection. While the copious sex scenes were hot, for much of the book I felt like shouting "don't do it, Ana !". But I suppose this is what the author does well. She captured the intense confusing mental gymnastics many inexperienced women with low self esteem do when they are in unhealthy relationships.

It was a compelling read. But I can't say that I really enjoyed it.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided to jump on the bandwagon with this one, sought and found Master of the Universe in PDF format from when it was fanfic.

I can honestly say that once again, as I was with Twilight, I find myself completely underwhelmed.

I don't want to start a war, but my opinion is that, like with Twilight again, this book would appeal to the less sophisticated palate. When Meyers took vampires and werewolves into YA mainstream fiction, it was all so "new" and "different" - except to those of us who'd been reading paranormal romance for any length of time in the twenty years prior to Twilight's release. For those readers, Twilight was more of the same-old, same-old, just dumbed down for the mainstream audience. My mid-teens daughter agrees.

FSOG/MOTU is the same thing. This type of fanfic, or other online erotica, has been available for any number of years at many many different websites, with varying levels of sensuality from the simply brutal to the thought provoking, lush and vivid. I've read much better written erotica from complete amateurs. But, since MOTU played the magic Bella/Edward card, it somehow reached readers that have bypassed all the other wonderful (much better) erotica so easily found elsewhere.

So, IMHO, FSOG is in no way deserving of the buzz it has received.
mirole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, you do not need to defend yourself for liking this book, or any book, and you don't need to list the more "acceptable" books that you've enjoyed. Different books will work for different people for different reasons.

Yulie, here's your answer - why I had to defend liking this book and cite of the more "acceptable" books as you put it:

Quote:
wendydfw

I don't want to start a war, but my opinion is that, like with Twilight again, this book would appeal to the less sophisticated palate.

Wendydfw: First of all, I had not read any of the Twilight books, nor have I decided to read FSoG because of the "buzz" but just because my curiosity was piqued after seeing this book at the top of some of the lists on Goodreads and reading the blurb, I thought it's the kind of story I might like. Oh, and the cover art was brilliant, I thought, compared with 90% of the mainstream romance books.

When I started the book (I bought it on the publisher's website at $Cool, I was completely engrossed by it and loved the whole package, I think I would have loved it even without all the hot sex although I did enjoy most of the sex scenes esp. some BDSM-inspired ones (and esp.those in the 2nd book). I don't rationalize or analyze why I loved this book, I just did. Well enough to buy the 2nd one and start on it after a brief break with a trad Regency between them.

I am very much offended by your suggestion that the readers who liked this book have an unsophisticated palate. Be my guest and look up my books on Goodreads (I go by the same moniker there as on this forum).

Have you read The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett and if you have, do you consider yourself having an unsophisticated palate?

I just think that everybody's taste is different and there's no accounting for a bad or good taste generally. There are some great literary divides - I love Dostoyevsky but am indifferent at best to Tolstoy (Leo) or hate some of his works, I looooove Jane Austen and hate Charlotte Bronte. But other people are of the exact opposites in their opinions.

I understand that not everybody likes this book (to put it mildly), but if you could express your opinions without condemning the literary tastes of others, that would be very considerate of you.
mirole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to say that I bought this book at $8 not at $smiley face.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
I understand that not everybody likes this book (to put it mildly), but if you could express your opinions without condemning the literary tastes of others, that would be very considerate of you.

Just equate my comment with, say, a foodie reading the results of a poll regarding the best Italian restaurant for 2011 and finding that Cici's pizza won because it received a lot of votes from people who a)apparently only ate there because Cici's loosely based a menu item on the Twilight theme, and b)obviously had little experience with Italian food if Cici's was the only example they could vote for in that category.

That's not to say that everyone who voted for Cici's (in this scenario) had no other Italian restaurant experience, because even a foodie can find amusement in a more plebian restaurant, and even defend that restaurant against its detractors - but that still doesn't make Cici's good Italian food.

My analogy has gotten pretty weighted, but I suppose you'll get my point.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Have you read The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett and if you have, do you consider yourself having an unsophisticated palate?

Meant to address this too. No I haven't, but I see where you've mentioned Dunnett a couple of times here and now I'm curious. Definitely going to seek The Game of Kings.

And I'd be the first to admit that my tastes aren't what some people would consider sophisticated. Brontes - yes, some. Austen - no. Henry James - no way. The Russians - no way. Steinbeck - no. John Kennedy Toole - yes. Vonnegut, Shakespeare - yes, some. It's a pretty mixed bag.
erika

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read to experience sophisticated romance fiction, whatever that is. I read to escape reality and for personal enjoyment.

Just curious, what romance would critics of FSoG consider sophisticated?
Using that word to trash a romance fiction book has had me puzzled.
jaime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wendydfw

I don't want to start a war, but my opinion is that, like with Twilight again, this book would appeal to the less sophisticated palate.

Grins. I used to think books like "Twilight" would appeal only to teenagers but found out that lots of middle-aged women love the whole saga. I think 'sophisticated' is kind of a loaded term to use for the subject of reading in the romance genre. I consider myself fairly sophisticated for whatever that's worth and sometimes I want to read high-brow books, and other times the trashier the better. It really depends on my mood and how stressed out I am.
utoeid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the book that I could have loved if not for the total creep factor of the hero. I may not fully get the whole BDSM thing but I would think that in addition to giving up your chip to the DOM it might make for a fun ride if that's your bag but this hero was like Dawn of the Dead creepy IMO. He has some intense mommy issues and the very likeable heroine was just constantly pooped on (not literally) by him over the smallest infractions. No fun there. I did not like the book enough to finish it and I personally did not get the raves about it but what is wonderful about free will is the "To each his own" element.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: