AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romancing Olive Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holly Bush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Romancing Olive Review Reply with quote

Spinster librarian, Olive Wilkins, is shocked to learn of her brotherís violent death at a saloon gaming table. Compelled to rescue and raise his children, Olive travels to Ohio, intending to return to her Philadelphia home with her niece and nephew. Little does she know that the children have come to love their caretaker, widower Jacob Butler. Will Olive return home without them or learn to love Jacob as well?

Review:

"Romancing Olive" is really a wonderful story. Author Holly Bush has a gift for creating strong characters who are interesting and easy to relate to, despite differences of setting and situation. I found Jacob's personal struggle to come to grips with the passing of his wife and to accept his changing feelings toward Olive to be especially poignant, and although I was at first thrown by the age difference, Olive's gradual transformation from a settled spinster into a wonderful young-at-heart woman full of vigor was a delightful and interesting twist from that of most formulaic romances written about young ladies. Of the other characters in the story, I also found Mary, Olive's 10 year old niece, to be an especially compelling and strong character. Perhaps in the future Ms. Bush will decide to tell Mary's story -- I would certainly be interested in reading more about her and her story as she comes of age. Ms. Bush also shows her talent with words in her descriptive imagery. I was easily able to picture many of the places and scenes that were described, and the town of Spencer was charming.

Read the entire review at http://www.hollybushbooks.com/reviews__interviews
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: