AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elizabeth Gaskell's "Cranford" on Masterpiece Thea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwen G

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Elizabeth Gaskell's "Cranford" on Masterpiece Thea Reply with quote

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/

Airing May 4, 11, and 18, 2008 on PBS - Starring Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins and Imelda Staunton
kspears

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the best Masterpiece Theater I've seen in a long time. Cranford was just so wonderful...so full of great characters. And the lace cat scene was a hoot.
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the cow in the flannel jammies Laughing ?

Though I was very sad for the spinster daughter who let Colonel Gordon get away only to find out that her father really didn't need her around Mad .
I hope she gets some semblance of a happy ending . . .
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the first episode, too. What delightful characters, the women especially. The cat and lace scene was a hoot and I cracked up at the cow in the huge flannel jammies. I also loved the women running around town to spread their gossip, especially the scene where they are running down the street and the poor guys carrying the chair are trying to keep up. I am really looking forward to the rest of the episodes. Masterpiece is truly in a class by itself.
Gwen G

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the scene where the ladies all went to the privacy of their rooms to suck on their oranges? What a great series! I didn't expect it to be so funny. I loved the look on Eileen Atkins face when she was offered the offensively "popular" Dickens novel. Can't wait for next week!
Caro

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Cranford Reply with quote

LOVED Cranford! For all those other fans, apparently there's going to be a two-part special, but it won't air until Christmas, 2009. I assume that date is for the UK and not necessarily for Masterpiece Theatre.
Guenevere

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished watching this this morning and I loved it. Though for something I thought was going to be a comedy (and it was of course very funny), wow, it had some heartbreaking moments. Really wonderful performances, especially by Imelda Staunton and Judi Dench.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me among those who loved Cranford. The characters were just so delightful, and I felt as if I had peeked into the life of a town - some comedy, some drama, some sadness, some triumphs, some tragedies. There were some very touching moments in this final episode. I am such a fan of the BBC productions and I wish we would see more of them here in the US.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Cranford Reply with quote

I for one am bummed out. I missed the last episode on Sunday so watched half of it on my computer on Thursday. When I went to watch the last half, it was no longer available! So I guess I'll have to pay to rent it and find out how the story wraps up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: