AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Sherry Thomas excerpts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
Isabelle knows it's an arranged marriage and if she's writing to the hero he's probably explained his marriage is still one of convenience and that maybe finally they can be together.

Reading the except the heroine doesn't sound "forced" to marry. She's more resigned that it's her role in life to eventually marry for a title. She doesn't like the alternatives - like actually working - and she's doesn't even attempt to broach the subject with her father in case he might not be sympathetic. She doesn't even try to escape her "fate". Unlike Isabelle who wanted to make a run for it - at least she had a bit of gumption.

Now the hero - he's forced. All my sympathy goes to him.

Not sure why the sympathy would go to the hero. Sounds like he's also just going along to make money and in those times would probably be able to find work better than the heroine. I thought in the premise ST did a fabulous job in explaining how she is brought up to simply follow along which is realistically what most ladies of her time honestly did do.

I don't think it's her fault that she had overbearing parents that are plainly taking it out of her hands. At 16 I'm sure she feels a bit swept along and it's unrealistic to think that for those times she'd be daring and strong enough at her age to defy and try to strike it on her own. She's a victim to her circumstances as much as anyone. Seems not only does she have to please her parents but she's also forced to contend with a husband who is grudgingly marrying her and somehow that's all her fault. Sinc he's older and male you are given more options he definitely is more heavily responsible in my view. But it's all about his family reputation and business more than even choosing to run with his Isabelle.

Isabelle weather writing and keeping in touch with him shows lack of respect to the spouse his wife. Keeping a relationshipin letters though he's obviously married shows a bit of her character from the start in my view. If that was the choice to marry others then let it go out of respect for their matrimony. And while she's fine becaue it sounds like her husband passed is she thinking of his wife who will what stay divorced a big no no for those times.

Gumption I don't see at all just because she's teary about her old infatuation. I think the hero and Isabelle are caught up in the Romeo & Juliet fantasy.

But I'll again reserve the rest of my judgement until the book is read.

I will say that I found ST commens in her blog about this being her favorite book ever written so far is very promising. I tend to agree with my favorite authors who choose a favorite of theirs. So I'm again looking forward to this one and can't wait.

As ST stated sounds like it's the main course out of the trilogy with the first and last being the appetizer and desert.

Though I know I'll love all three regardless.
bijoux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the excerpt from Beguiling the Beauty as well. Now, a few questions popped up for me.

1) The main plot of both this book and Ravishing the Heiress apparently take place in 1896. Since apparently only Venetia and Millie are accompanying Helen to the States, I hope this books at least begins somewhat before the events in RtH. It would be really odd if Millie and Fitz finally got together and she went along to the States with her sisters-in-law right away.

2) What will Venetia do to herself so that Christian won't recognize her? From the blurb I guessed that either didn't know her or that she hadn't made much of an impression previously. But she damn well did make one.

3) It will be interesting to see how Venetia goes from barely thinking about Christian at all, certainly not in any concrete terms, to being vengeful.

4) And whoa, a widow twice over. I can't remember if I've read of another one in a romance novel.
PWNN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
PWNN wrote:

Now the hero - he's forced. All my sympathy goes to him.

Not sure why the sympathy would go to the hero. Sounds like he's also just going along to make money and in those times would probably be able to find work better than the heroine. I thought in the premise ST did a fabulous job in explaining how she is brought up to simply follow along which is realistically what most ladies of her time honestly did do.

The hero is being sold to pay off a debt he did not incur for a new title he does not want. He's 19 and had planned to go into the army which is now ended because of the title saddled with 80,000 pounds of debt and a crumbling estate. He is legally responsible for that debt and unable to legally renounce his title even though he's not of legal age to marry without his guardian's permission. As the heroine's father said he has no choice. He's caught like a rat.
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds yummy, all three, I can't wait!
cheri
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PWNN"][quote="Islandgirl2"]
PWNN wrote:

The hero is being sold to pay off a debt he did not incur for a new title he does not want. He's 19 and had planned to go into the army which is now ended because of the title saddled with 80,000 pounds of debt and a crumbling estate. He is legally responsible for that debt and unable to legally renounce his title even though he's not of legal age to marry without his guardian's permission. As the heroine's father said he has no choice. He's caught like a rat.

Ok from what Fitz tells Millie here “My cousin held out for years,” said the earl. “He should have done it sooner: beget an heir and leave everything to his own son. We are barely related.”

Why doesn't Fitz do the same he could hold out as well. Until his family realizes he was the cousin barely related and I'm sure his refusal would allow for his giving up whatever rights he had and in stepping down they could go to the next family member to take his place.

Obviously while Fitz begrudges having to marry he doesn't mind all that mutch inheriting the riches for his family and getting to save the business therefore ending up running the family estates and all that will become. I see a bit of self serving in him as well in the pact. Nothing all that honorable for Isabella or even Millie who has to hear from his own lips he doesn't want to marry her never mind how that will make her feel.

He if anything ends up realizing that she's as much a part of this trap as he is therefore feels sympathy for her too.

This time there was no undertone of accusation to his question. If she wanted to, she might even detect a bleak sympathy. Which only fed her misery, that foul beast with teeth like knives.

Clearly this is why later we see that they do come to be friends due to their circumstances that neither asked for.

It would be her parents fault not that of a 16 year old trying to obey them as she was taught all her life.

Later take what Isabelle herself states to Fitz “Do you really have no other choices then?” asked Isabelle.

“If I do, it is only in the sense that I am free to go to London and see if a different heiress will have me.”

Again no though to Millie's feelings if that would be preferable to her.

So in this sense it doesn't make a difference to him he is prostituting himself of his own choice to find what ever heiress is available. In that era it's not like the high society ladies were easily able to disobey their family.

Millie is in the same predicament except unlike Fitz who at least has the choice to pick her or another she's simply stuck with whoever her parents bring to the table there is no finding and choosing for herself a candidate like Fitz seems to be free to do.

But this is what makes it intriguing for me. Not that I blame truly one or the other they are both in the same circumstances and adapt by becoming friends and the wife happens to fall for her husband which is actually what you hope to happen in a union such as theirs.

And it's not like Divorce was really the thing to do in those days and worse for the woman to bare. Society will deem her unworthy a failure because the husband chose to discard her for someone else. She wouldn't even be allowed in certain circles as some would snub her. While if Fitz was to reunite with his Isabelle he'd be able to go to all the places he'd like. Different standards for the sexes of course. So I'm curious from the start about how Millie stands in Isabelle's and Fitz plans when all is said and done and they think they will finally be free to be together.

So again I don't have sympathy for one more than the other and I'm certainly not annoyed with Millie who is probably the least capable of changing this.

Instead just from the premise I'm rooting for her and hoping she wins her husband. Smile

But only Sherry can answer these things in the reading. I'll be sure to be here to talk it over with you again when that time comes. lol
PWNN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Islandgirl2"][quote="PWNN"]
Islandgirl2 wrote:
PWNN wrote:

Ok from what Fitz tells Millie here “My cousin held out for years,” said the earl. “He should have done it sooner: beget an heir and leave everything to his own son. We are barely related.”

Why doesn't Fitz do the same he could hold out as well. Until his family realizes he was the cousin barely related and I'm sure his refusal would allow for his giving up whatever rights he had and in stepping down they could go to the next family member to take his place.

As far as I know one was not allowed to give up a title - that wasn't allowed until sometime in the 20th century. As a male under 21 he is also legally a minor so he couldn't even if he was allowed and is being forced into marriage by his guardian. He'd rather go into the army and marry the girl he loves - both which have been barred to him. He's not inheriting any riches - he's marrying to pay off crushing debt which he is now legally responsible for.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he wasn't of legal age to deny his guardian he's I'm assuming not of legal age to hold the responsibility of the debt. And since his deceased cousin in his 30s held off and nothing happened to him I'm not sure why now Fitz doesn't seem to think he can't hold off a couple more years until he's 21 and can make other choices which then his guardian won't be able to force on him.

I'm sorry is there a rule where he'd get jail time for not obeying and choosing not to marry. Do we even know if he refused his guardian and family by flat out saying no and telling them that he's in love with Isabelle? Or is he making his own conscious choice.

Seeing as later he's basically telling Isabelle if not Millie then he'll seek another heiress it doesn't look like it's just his guardian that's anxious. He strikes me as just as determined to marry for money as well.

What is Millie getting in all of this aside from a husband in love with another and resentful of being "forced" (if we can call it that because humans do have choices he just picked the easier one) to marry her.

Is she the villainess because he happens to be handsome and in love with someone else. So that makes him more pitiful than Millie? I'm not sure what's her fault in all of this I don't see any.

We can see her desire upon hearing him not want to be married to her that she doesn't want it to be him as well. Not something a 16 year old can easily have to live with herself.

Did Fitz confess to her at that stage about being in love with someone else to perhaps have her beg off from her parents?

No he's planning to eventually after he attains what he has to from her family riches to just up and leave her and reunite with his teen love who he knows nothing about being away from her for 8 years.

All in all the set up seems to be that Millie give up the right to fall in love marry of her parents choosing produce him an heir to have him leave her a divorced woman. Oh and throughout this farce of a marriage he's keeping connected so far through letters with his "true" love. Not a life anyone would be happily dealt with.

Again I don't see anything honorable or sad at this point for Fitz and Isabelle. The one that touches a sympathy cord for me is Millie.

Seems she'd be leaving Fitz and Isabelle with plenty of money to continue on after an 8 year gap just as they'd like with no consequences to hurting her. Or the child she'd have to produce. Can you see it being easy for her to move on from a marriage with a child to a new suiter as it seems much easier for Fitz.
peajay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished my first Sherry Thomas, Private Arrangements. Wow, what an intense book. I experienced the terrible heartache with these two poor saps (the h/h) like I was right there with them, and could barely put the book down between start and finish. I'm black and blue from all the bleeding, but I loved this book.

Since I started on my historical romance saga, I'm 2 for 8 with new author try outs. I am so thrilled. ST backlist, here I come.
bethaboo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peajay wrote:
I've just finished my first Sherry Thomas, Private Arrangements. Wow, what an intense book. I experienced the terrible heartache with these two poor saps (the h/h) like I was right there with them, and could barely put the book down between start and finish. I'm black and blue from all the bleeding, but I loved this book.

Since I started on my historical romance saga, I'm 2 for 8 with new author try outs. I am so thrilled. ST backlist, here I come.

one of my favorite books of all time is Sherry Thomas' Not Quite a Husband. Amazing book. Enjoy!
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree my first ST book was NQAH. I think you'll love it too. That's the book that started me on the path of ST.

But then I think so far my favorite has been His At Night. Wait till you read that one too. Wink Have fun!
bijoux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry Thomas talks a bit about Ravishing the Heiress: http://www.rtbookreviews.com/rt-daily-blog/spoiled-sherry-thomas-ravishing-heiress
msaggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Sherry Thomas post Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
Sherry Thomas talks a bit about Ravishing the Heiress: http://www.rtbookreviews.com/rt-daily-blog/spoiled-sherry-thomas-ravishing-heiress
Thanks so much for sharing this with us - I think what Sherry Thomas says here about the impetus to write Ravishing the Heiress (the last bit of that post) is very true, and I wish we could have more romances today that show this. It's a lot more reaffirming, and I suppose more true to life. I have already pre-ordered my copy months ago!
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sherry Thomas post Reply with quote

msaggie wrote:
bijoux wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing this with us - I think what Sherry Thomas says here about the impetus to write Ravishing the Heiress (the last bit of that post) is very true, and I wish we could have more romances today that show this. It's a lot more reaffirming, and I suppose more true to life. I have already pre-ordered my copy months ago!

I agree and can't wait to read this. There seems to just be that something special with this story for the author and I have a feeling it will be one of my favorites.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get a glimpse of some characters from the author's other books in Beguiling the Beauty, but -- I can't for the life of me remember -- have we been introduced to Hastings before?
bijoux

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know but I suppose there could have been a mention of him in Not Quite a Husband seeing as Fitz corresponds with Leo. And my God, speaking of Fitz, what a blind mouse that one is. His and Millie's story just grows more heartbreaking through the glimpses we get of it. I can't wait for their book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: