AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Sherry Thomas excerpts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: New Sherry Thomas excerpts Reply with quote

Beguiling the Beauty
Quote:
When the Duke of Lexington meets the mysterious Baroness von Seidlitz-Hardenberg aboard a transatlantic ocean liner, he is fascinated. She is exactly what he has been searching for—a beautiful woman who interests and entices him. He falls hard and fast—and soon proposes marriage.

And then she disappears without a trace…

For in reality, the “baroness” is Venetia Easterbrook—a proper young widow who had her own vengeful reasons for instigating an affair with the duke. But the plan has backfired. Venetia has fallen in love with the man she despised—and there’s no telling what might happen when she is finally unmasked…

http://sherrythomas.com/beguiling-the-beauty.php

Ravishing the Heiress
Quote:
Millicent understands the terms of her arranged marriage all too well. She gets to be a Countess by marrying an impoverished Earl. And in return, the Earl Fitzhugh receives the benefit of her vast wealth, saving his family from bankruptcy. Because of her youth, they have agreed to wait eight years before consummating the marriage—and then, only to beget an heir. After which, they will lead separate lives.

It is a most sensible arrangement. Except for one little thing. Somehow Millie has fallen head over heels in love with her husband. Her husband, who has become her very best friend, but nothing more… Her husband, who plans to reunite with his childhood sweetheart, the beautiful and newly widowed Isabelle, as soon as he has honored the pact with his wife…

As the hour they truly become husband-and-wife draws near, both Millie and Fitzhugh must face the truth in their hearts. Has their pact bred only a great friendship—or has it, without either of them quite noticing, given rise to a great love?

http://sherrythomas.com/ravishing-the-heiress.php
Dabney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Sherry Thomas. Doesn't this have lots of overtones of Private Arrangements though?
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait. Sherry Thomas has moved up to my top 5 list of romance authors. I'm looking forward to what she does next.

Sounds intresting especially Ravishing a Heiress. I love the type of romances where the hero doesn't realize the gold he's got right in front of him. Should be good as I'm sure Sherry Thomas will add a few of her own touches to make it just as good and unique.
Outlandish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both books sounds delicious. I cannot wait to dig my hands onto them. And the countdown begins! =D
bijoux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
Can't wait. Sherry Thomas has moved up to my top 5 list of romance authors. I'm looking forward to what she does next.

Sounds intresting especially Ravishing a Heiress. I love the type of romances where the hero doesn't realize the gold he's got right in front of him. Should be good as I'm sure Sherry Thomas will add a few of her own touches to make it just as good and unique.

Ravishing the Heiress pulled at me as well. It sounds very promising, especially how intimate the hero actually is without realizing it, tasting her food and all. Though, that poor girl, unhappily in love with her husband for almost a decade.
seton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole trilogy looks great. I am especially looking forward to the first and third one. The second one looks good but I was already getting agita reading the excerpt. Laughing They didnt remind me of PA at all (not that that would be a bad thing since I really enjoyed PA.)
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seton wrote:
The whole trilogy looks great. I am especially looking forward to the first and third one. The second one looks good but I was already getting agita reading the excerpt. Laughing They didnt remind me of PA at all (not that that would be a bad thing since I really enjoyed PA.)

I'm sorry did I miss the third I only saw two posted in the above. Can you please share the third one. Very Happy
PWNN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:

The excerpt made me sad for the young couple torn apart. And in another story that girl could easily be the heroine and the "gold". It's all a matter of perspective. Wink
seton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
seton wrote:

I'm sorry did I miss the third I only saw two posted in the above. Can you please share the third one. Very Happy

There were only the 2 excerpts.

For the third bk, ST wrote a literary amuse bouche that is not part of the actual novel but introduces the H/h on someone's blog last month. The link to it is on her site. Needless to say, it was delicious. Smile
seton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
Islandgirl2 wrote:

The excerpt made me sad for the young couple torn apart. And in another story that girl could easily be the heroine and the "gold". It's all a matter of perspective. Wink

I felt sad for Isabelle also (did I mention my agita?) and wondered if she will get her HEA in a future bk?
msaggie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Sherry Thomas books in 2012 Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting the links to the excerpts. The description of Christian at the start of Beguiling the Beauty reminds me of Eva Ibbotson's The Morning Gift - it's because of the hero's interest in natural history and fossils. All the excerpts read very well. When I first heard that Sherry Thomas was writing a trilogy this year, I was worried that her writing would become more generic - but now after reading the excerpts, I can't wait to read the full-length novels. Less than four months to go!
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherry Thomas books in 2012 Reply with quote

Well my comment Gold right in front of them doesn't mean Isabelle or any other that the hero thinks he's in love with isn't Gold as well. But I mean that for the hero who eventually falls in love with what's right in front of him is his prize as he neglected to see it. Since the story is being told for the hero and heroine in this book it's that perspective that I'm going to follow.

And I'm not too sympathetic towards Isabelle actually as she doesn't seem to have any sympathy for the wife that is also being forced to marry a man that is really in love with her. And sending letters to meet said man years later just because you are free is she forgetting he isn't...and is still married.

So no not quite the fan of Isabelle at the moment but I'll save the rest for the reading. In the excerpt she annoyed already.
PWNN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabelle knows it's an arranged marriage and if she's writing to the hero he's probably explained his marriage is still one of convenience and that maybe finally they can be together.

Reading the except the heroine doesn't sound "forced" to marry. She's more resigned that it's her role in life to eventually marry for a title. She doesn't like the alternatives - like actually working - and she's doesn't even attempt to broach the subject with her father in case he might not be sympathetic. She doesn't even try to escape her "fate". Unlike Isabelle who wanted to make a run for it - at least she had a bit of gumption.

Now the hero - he's forced. All my sympathy goes to him.
fizz379

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so excited for both!

not really excited for a book about Helena though, spinster stories aren't really my favorite and she sounds like a real oddball, not my thing.

Millie sounds like a very interesting character!
Winnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Helena's story sounds the most interesting, but from the excerpts I can't wait for all of them. I don't think that Sherry Thomas can write a bad book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: