AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested banished words for 2012...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Suggested banished words for 2012... Reply with quote

Michigan's Lake Superior State University has released its list of suggested words to be banished from the English language. Have to agree on most of them.

Amazing (isn't that the most overused word these days?)
Baby bump
Ginormous
Huge (they didn't list it, but I hear it everywhere)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45824680/ns/local_news-detroit_mi/#.Tv3YDPK4J3k
Nicole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would go to preternatural. I must be reading too much urban fantasy because I feel like it is way over used. Ilona Andrews seems to be a big fan of this word, because I swear it's in every book I've read by them.
robiform

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote for a word that should be banished in 2012?

"Awesome"

Practically everyone I know who is under the age of forty uses that word at least once every five minutes! If everything is "awesome", then how can anything be really "awesome"?

When I was a child, my mother had a sure-fire method for getting me to stop overusing words. If I repeated a word or phrase the way folks use "awesome" these days, privileges for me were gradually removed until I learned that using a thesaurus was preferable to losing dessert, time to go out with friends, etc. Also, because I expanded my vocabulary, my English grades went up!

And on that note, a happy and healthy New Year to all!
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally awesome and amazing thread! Laughing

A word I'd like to see used less frequently in romance novels is "fisted," as in "He fisted his hands in her hair" and "His hands fisted at his sides." If I'd had a drink for every time I saw a variation of "fisted" in Archangel's Blade, I think I'd have been plastered by the end of the novel.

And at the risk of veering off topic, I'd like to suggest some syntax/punctuation I'd like to see banished from romance novels in 2012: The use of a period after each word in a strongly felt declaration by the hero or heroine. It. Drives. Me. Nuts!
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested banished words for 2012... Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Michigan's Lake Superior State University has released its list of suggested words to be banished from the English language. Have to agree on most of them.

Amazing (isn't that the most overused word these days?)
Baby bump
Ginormous
Huge (they didn't list it, but I hear it everywhere)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45824680/ns/local_news-detroit_mi/#.Tv3YDPK4J3k

I agree with all of these...especially baby bump. And I have to agree with Awesome! too.
jc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for , "it is what it is" and "whatever." Maybe they are just used in New Jersey (?) but over used to the extreme!
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc wrote:
My vote is for , "it is what it is" and "whatever." Maybe they are just used in New Jersey (?) but over used to the extreme!

No, they're not only used in New Jersey, unfortunately. I'm from Michigan and these are two of the top phrases that I say. Oops, I'll have to do something about that--whatever! Laughing
dick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like "like," the pause-in-thought of a few years ago, they'll likely die a like death.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know...I'm on board with most of the ones mentioned, but I've really learned to respect "it is what it is." Pithy, yet quite profound in some contexts.
jc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader wrote:
I don't know...I'm on board with most of the ones mentioned, but I've really learned to respect "it is what it is." Pithy, yet quite profound in some contexts.

Wow, it just goes to show you how different people are. No one I know uses it in any pithy or profound context. It is the same response for everything from, "If you had studied you might have done better on that test" to "My doctor won't see me for for 6 weeks!" When I hear it, I just want to say, "Is that all you can come up with? Everything is what it is." I picture everyone sounding like Eeyore. What are you gonna do Pooh, it is what it is. Smile
stl_reader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc - I see your point. I wonder if the usefulness of the phrase is related to age. I'm in my 50s, my mom is in her 80s, and one thing we notice--as we go through decade after decade of life's little foibles, relatives who continue to mystify (and annoy), etc.--is that sometimes a succinct "It is what it is" says a lot. Wink
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader wrote:
...is that sometimes a succinct "It is what it is" says a lot. Wink

Amen. Very Happy
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wow factor." I watched a little too much TV over the holidays and heard that term applied to everything from wedding dresses to foyers. "Wow factor" is the new "It really pops."
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of something that one of my Twitter followers said yesterday.
When did we start saying "sorry" instead of "excuse me" to each other? Her example was, when we are getting out of each other's way..we say, "sorry". What are we sorry for?
So for me...another word is "sorry". Bring back, "excuse me". That's my vote.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
stl_reader wrote:
...is that sometimes a succinct "It is what it is" says a lot. Wink

Amen. Very Happy

I admit I say it sometimes as well in the context that there's nothing I can do about this so I'm not going to fret over it. It is what it is.

I'm noticing a lot of 'Really?' Used like 'Seriously?' TV cops are talking to a suspect and he runs, before they start to chase after him one looks at the other and says 'Really?' and then they start running. That's what I started to think it had gone too far, haha.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: