AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12-in-2012 AAR Reading Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, I PM'd the second challenge to you. Definitely a hard one. Feel free to tweak.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find a way to PM everyone at once so I posted the challenge. Please let me know of any changes that need to be made.

Thanks,
maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Walnut Tree
Charles Todd
New Release Calendar Challenge November

Look for my review of this one on AAR. After reading, I just had to share it. Loved this tale about a WWI nurse and her struggle to survive the war and be with the man she loves.

New Release Calendar Challenge 11 down, 1 to go
The Jury Challenge 2, 12 down 0 to go
The Jury Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
The Dime A Dozen Round 2, 12 down, 0 to go
The Hign Noon Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
Dime a Dozen Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
The Calendar Challenge 12 down, 0 to go
The Clock Challenge: 12 down, 0 to go

Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel's Edge
Ilona Andrews
New Release Calendar Challenge December

Richard Marr of the infamous Edger family hunts slavers. He has been unable to gather information on the people who head this industry so when he receives a tip offereing informtion on the top people, he races to check it out. It is a trap and Richard nearly dies as a result.

Charlotte is a Healer whose bad marriage resuted in her needing a break from court life in the Weird. When Richard is brought to her home in the Edge for healing she is happy to oblige. When several people die as a result of her kindness, she joins Richard on his quest to destroy the slavers. For her, it is a journey of vengeance. It turns into a journey of unexpected love for them both.

maggie b.

New Release Calendar Challenge 12 down, 0 to go
The Jury Challenge 2, 12 down 0 to go
The Jury Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
The Dime A Dozen Round 2, 12 down, 0 to go
The Hign Noon Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
Dime a Dozen Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
The Calendar Challenge 12 down, 0 to go
The Clock Challenge: 12 down, 0 to go

karat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clock Challenge - Variation
2 books set in the 17th century (1601-1700)

The Following Sea by Marsha Canham (Set in 1614)

This book is the 3rd in the Pirate Wolf Trilogy. I had read the 2nd book, The Iron Rose, for this same category in this challenge.
The hero in this book is Gabriel Dante, who was the brother of the heroine in The Iron Rose (Juliet Dante).
The Following Sea begins write after the previous book ends. The entire Dante family fights a battle against a Spanish fleet. They win the battle, but Gabriel is hurt and loses his ship. While on his way back home on a replacement ship, taken from the Spanish, he comes across another ship that seems abandoned. The entire tripulation of the ship was in fact killed by the pox, and the only survivor is Evangeline Chandler. Gabriel rescues her, and they fall in love, in typical "cabin romance fashion".
This book was just ok for me. It was pretty much a "fall in lust" rather than a "fall in love" story (even worse in this aspect than The Iron Rose). And once again, too many unnecessary disgusting details where included in the story.

But at least I have finished this last challenge!

The Twelve Days of Christmas Challenge: Done!
The High Noon Challenge: Done!
The Jury Challenge: Done!
The Clock Challenge - Variation: Done!
karat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clock Challenge - Variation: DONE!

2 books set in the 5th – 16th centuries (401-1600)
This is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland (Set in 1249) - Favorite Historical in this challenge
The Devil's Lady by Deborah Simmons (set in the 13th century)

2 books set in the 17th century (1601-1700)
The Iron Rose by Marsha Canham (Set in 1614)
The Following Sea by Marsha Canham (Set in 1614) - Least Favorite book in the challenge

2 books set in the 18th century (1701-1800)
The Prince of Midnight by Laura Kinsale (Set in 1772) - Favorite book in this challenge
The Ice Princess by Elizabeth Hoyt (Set in 1762)

2 books set in the 19th century (1801-1900)
The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer Ashley (Set in 1890s)
Dark Road to Darjeeling by Deanna Raybourn (Set in 1889)

2 books set in the 20th century (1901-2000)
Bygones by LaVyrle Spencer (Set in the 1990s)
Don't Forget to Smile by Kathleen Gilles Seidel (Set in 1986) - Favorite Contemporary

2 books set in the 21st century (2001-2100)
Catch of the Day by Kristan Higgins
Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Counterclockwise Challenge: Cindy Gerard
Lone Star Knight:
A formulistic plot with stock characters. The hero is anti-high-maintenance-women because his ex-wife made his life miserable. The heroine is part of the aristocracy of a make-believe country who was severely injured in a plane crash. The hero keeping the heroine in the dark about her life being in danger irked me. Thankfully the h/h are mostly likeable and the story picks up a bit in the second half.

Into the Fire: Originally published in 1994, this book was revamped for its digital release. I really dislike when this is done. I would much rather read the original text. For example, the song title playing in the hero’s truck in the open scene has been updated to a 2009 release, but no effort is made to explain why the heroine didn’t simply use a cell phone to call someone when her car broke down on the freeway. And the radio station where the characters work uses outdated technology. It’s like the book is set in two different time periods which kept yanking me out of the story. I was also frustrated that the hero’s age is never revealed when so much is made about the fact he’s younger than the heroine. The romance was okay, but too much emphasis is placed on a stalker subplot.

Man Around the House: A bit too much effort is made to show the heroine as a klutz in the beginning, but the h/h have a nice chemistry. The hero is involved with someone else when he meets the heroine, but there’s no hint of a love triangle. The “other woman” is thankfully not portrayed as evil or manipulative. She’s actually very likeable and I wish she’d gotten her own book. The suspense subplot is a bit clichéd, but otherwise a good balance of humor and romance.

The Secret Baby Bond: This book is part of a multi-author series and I didn’t read the previous books. Therefore, I wasn’t very invested in the ongoing mystery or the boatload of secondary characters who appeared or were mentioned. I did wonder how the hero managed to come back to the US and take another trip to Ecuador and back when he didn’t have a passport. His former amnesia is dealt with and while I liked the h/h, I wished more focus had been on them. I also wish their baby hadn’t so conveniently been absent when the story called for it.

A Dime a Dozen Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The Duodenary: Category Romance Challenge 12 down 0 to go…
The High Noon Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The Clock Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The Counterclockwise Challenge (Marie Ferrarella): 12 down 0 to go…
The Calendar Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The New Release Calendar Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The Counterclockwise Challenge (Cindy Gerard): 12 down 0 to go…

Looking forward to the 2013 challenge as I have plenty more books in my TBR pile…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: