AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12-in-2012 AAR Reading Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clock Challenge - Variation
2 books set in the 18th century (1701-1800)

The Ice Princess by Elizabeth Hoyt (Set in 1762)

This is a novella in the Princes Trilogy series. The heroine, Coral Smythe, was a secondary character in The Raven Price. Coral is the madam of Aphrodite’s Grotto, a brothel in London. The hero, Captain Isaac Wargate, dislikes the fact that the brothel distracts his men from duty, and is not very fond of Coral at the beginning of the story. However, when Coral's enemy, Jimmy Hyde, sets her up and offers her as the prize in a card game, Wargate realizes that she is distressed, so he enters the game and wins it. His reward is to have Coral for seven days, and over this period they learn a lot about it other, and fall in love.

The story was well written and entertaining. From the book summary, I initially thought that Wargate was a very stern and cold man, but he was actually a nice and engaging hero. Coral is a hard woman, but we learn more about her background and she softens up as the story progresses. And I enjoyed the mini-tale of the Ice Princess (as in all the books in this series, Elizabeth Hoyt creates a mini fairy-tale which appears, piece by piece, at the introduction of each chapter).

The Twelve Days of Christmas Challenge: Done!
The High Noon Challenge: Done!
The Jury Challenge: Done!
The Clock Challenge - Variation: 3 to go
karat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 books set in the 17th century (1601-1700)

The Iron Rose by Marsha Canham
(Set in 1614)

A pirate book! I had not read one in ages. And this one had a pirate heroine, to make things even more interesting. Juliet Dante is the daughter of a legendary pirate, and the captain of a privateer herself. When she saves a British ship from the attack of a Spanish galleon, she also saves an important passenger aboard the ship: Varian St. Clare, the Duke of Harrow. Varian needs to deliver a message to Juliet's father and other privateers, and she agrees to take him to his destination, but as her hostage.
There was a lot of adventure in this book, with plenty of sea battles, sword fights, dangerous storms, etc, and it was a fun, fast paced read. However, there were two reasons that kept it from being a keeper for me. First, it felt much more like a "fall in lust" rather than a "fall in love" story (particularly from the heroine's part). Second, there were too many disgusting details (such as the hero walking around with a full chamber pot...). I know we usually praise authors when they are realistic, but some parts of this book were unnecessary in my view.
Nevertheless, overall it was an enjoyable read. I might be tempted to read the next book in the series, featuring Juliet's brother as the hero.

The Clock Challenge - Variation: 2 to go
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to interrupt what is always a good thread, but just curious, since it's December now..... Who's doing the 2013 Challenge?
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Don't want to interrupt what is always a good thread, but just curious, since it's December now..... Who's doing the 2013 Challenge?

Do you mean who is responsible for setting up the new challenge? Or who is in for doing the challenge next year?

maggie b.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:

Do you mean who is responsible for setting up the new challenge? Or who is in for doing the challenge next year?

maggie b.

I initially meant the former, since there can't be a challenge if no one creates one, but of course, I'm also ultimately interested in ensuring there's enough interest from board members on taking on the challenge. Over the years, there seems to have been enough enthusiasm, so I don't think the latter is too much of an issue.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be any of us who does it. The last few times it has been the person who finished their challenge first. This year that was library addict. But since she did last year I could do it since I have second place. But if someone has an idea they would really like to use please speak up. Fresh ideas are always welcome.

maggie b.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
It can be any of us who does it. The last few times it has been the person who finished their challenge first. This year that was library addict. But since she did last year I could do it since I have second place. But if someone has an idea they would really like to use please speak up. Fresh ideas are always welcome.

maggie b.

Unless you and Library Addict want to brain storm or either of you have an idea you've been contemplating, I'm all for soliciting ideas. (Maybe someone doesn't want to take full responsibility for mapping out the challenge and answering the follow-up questions, but still has an interesting spin on structuring the challenge.) I haven't really given it any thought, myself. I wasn't paying attention as to who finished first, so that's why I was asking.
karat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
maggie b. wrote:

maggie b.

Unless you and Library Addict want to brain storm or either of you have an idea you've been contemplating, I'm all for soliciting ideas. (Maybe someone doesn't want to take full responsibility for mapping out the challenge and answering the follow-up questions, but still has an interesting spin on structuring the challenge.) I haven't really given it any thought, myself. I wasn't paying attention as to who finished first, so that's why I was asking.

Good idea, maggie b. and Sandlynn. I would love to contribute.
karat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 books set in the 5th – 16th centuries (401-1600)

The Devil's Lady by Deborah Simmons (set in the 13th century)

This book brought memories from my first days as a romance reader. Deborah Simmons's "The de Burgh Family" was the first romance series I actively tried to follow, and the medieval period was my favorite romance setting. Over the years my tastes changed, so some of the older Simmons's books have been in my TBR for ages. The Devil's Lady is one of them.
Coincidently, this book had a plot quite similar to the other medieval book I read for this challenge (This is All I Ask). In both books, the hero is a famous warrior who decides to live isolated with a few loyal servants / friends in his keep / castle. The reason for the isolation is unknown to the external world, so there is plenty of rumors about these heroes – both are suspected of dealing with dark magic. In both books, the heroine marries the hero in an arranged marriage, falls in love with the him, learns the hero’s secret and fights for their love in spite of all the issues from the hero’s past. There were some issues with the execution of the plot in The Devil’s Lady, though. The main one was that the hero was almost like a secondary character, since the author did not get much into his point of view (I believe she did it to protect the secret from the readers, which did not work very well). This is All I Ask was a much better read in my opinion.

The Clock Challenge - Variation: 1 to go
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea for part of the 2013 Challenge. Whoever takes charge of laying it out, let me know. I want to send/offer my idea to you -- which you are free to tweak.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandlynn,

That would be me. Go ahead and PM your idea. I was going to post a final version today or tomorrow.

Maggie
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I sent it by PM. I have two ideas in there -- the first one basically fleshed out and the second only sketched out. Feel free to tweak either, if you use them.
karat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maggie b., can I PM you some ideas too?

Thanks!
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is welcome to post or pm me ideas for next years challenge. Smile I am excited about the interest in it!

maggie b.
karat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, maggie b.

I have just sent you a PM with my ideas. Thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: