AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With the holiday season once again upon us...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisbean4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: With the holiday season once again upon us... Reply with quote

...and with the economy the way it is, I'd love some good holiday cheer to get me in the spirit. I know hallmark channel will have some heart warming movies to help, but I'd love to curl up in bed with a good holiday read. Can anyone rec some good ones for me? I'd truly appreciate it!!
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am not trying to discourage talk about this. . .I would love also to heard recommendations on recents holidays reads. .

However, there is a wealth of information at AAR about previous favorite reads. .

Just so you know . this thread probabably will be moved to Potpourri board. . and there are a few threads there. .

Here is my post on a previous thread:

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know that I have a favorite Christmas story. . I really like Loretta Chase's Three Weddings and A Kiss story.

Here are some thoughts from a survey at AAR from 2006 Top Ten Holiday Reads

http://www.likesbooks.com/holiday.html

1 Christmas Angel Jo Beverley
2 A Christmas Bride Mary Balogh
3 Once Upon a Christmas Diane Farr
4 Rocky Mountain Christmas Miracle
(The Shadows of Christmas Past anthology) Christine Feehan
5 A Christmas Promise Mary Balogh
6 Puddings, Pastries, and Thou
(Wish List anthology) Lisa Cach
7 Make a Joyful Noise
(A Regency Christmas Carol anthology) Carla Kelly
8 The Christmas Ornament
(A Regency Christmas VIII anthology) Carla Kelly
9 One Christmas Knight Kathleen Creighton
10 I Will
(Wish List anthology) Lisa Kleypas

and then AAR 2009 survey

http://www.likesbooks.com/holiday09.html

Top Ten Holiday Reads
1 A Season for Miracles Marilyn Pappano
2 Some Enchanted Season Marilyn Pappano
3 Winter Fire Jo Beverley
4 A Wallflower Christmas Lisa Kleypas
5 Once Upon a Christmas Diane Farr
6 Christmas Angel Jo Beverley
7 A Christmas Bride Mary Balogh
8 Marian's Christmas Wish Carla Kelly
9 A Christmas Promise Mary Balogh
10 (Tie) Memory in Death J.D. Robb
10 (Tie) Holiday in Death J.D. Robb
10 (Tie) An Affair before Christmas Eloisa James

and

http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6349&highlight=favorite+favourite+christmas+book

Good Holiday reads from 2009

http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6173&highlight=favorite+favourite+christmas+book

Thread from 2010

http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7913&highlight=favorite+favourite+christmas+book
chrisbean4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Wow, only 1 response. And that was to tell me that my post might be moved. I've read all the previous ones so I don't need to look up old books in the archives. I'm surprised that NEW Christmas books aren't a hot topic here. You'd think with the holiday season just around the corner there would be a lot of buzz about any new heart warming 2011 holiday reads. Bah Humbug! LOL
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow Reply with quote

chrisbean4 wrote:
Wow, only 1 response. And that was to tell me that my post might be moved. I've read all the previous ones so I don't need to look up old books in the archives. I'm surprised that NEW Christmas books aren't a hot topic here. You'd think with the holiday season just around the corner there would be a lot of buzz about any new heart warming 2011 holiday reads. Bah Humbug! LOL

I haven't seen a lot of Christmas releases. I read Bring Me Home for Christmas by Robyn Carr and liked it. I just submitted a review for Small Town Christmas by Jill Shalvis, Hope Ramsey, and Katie Lane. I have in my tbr pile Clockwork Christmas published by Carina Press with Stacy Gail, PG Forte, Jenny Schwartz, and JK Coi which is a steampunk Christmas.

Releases for Nov show:

Holiday Fantasy: Finding the Right Key/’Round Midnight/ Blind Faith (KIM) by Adrianne Byrd, Donna Hill, and Kayla Perrin

Holiday Hideout: The Thanksgiving Fix/The Christmas Set- Up/The New Year’s Deal (HAR) by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jill Shalvis, and Julie Kenner

Making Spirits Bright (ZEB) by Fern Michaels, Elizabeth Bass, Rosalind Noonan, and Nan Parson Rossiter

A Vampire for Christmas: Enchanted by Blood/Monsters Don’t Do Christmas/When Herald Angels Sing/All I Want for Christmas (HAR) by Laurie London, Michele Hauf, Caridad Pineiro, and Alexis Morgan

Highlander for the Holidays by Jane Chapman

Pefect Christmas by Debbie Macomber

Jeffers, Regina - Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel

and some re-releases by Roberts, and Harlequin.

Nothing in this list jumps out at me. I also looked at fictiondb for December and it seems that most of the Christmas releases are by Harlequin.

I am not the board monitor, and sorry you took offense at me saying your post might be moved. It just that two others were moved.

Last edited by Leigh on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: With the holiday season once again upon us... Reply with quote

All right, it's shameless commerce, but I'm proud of the work.

Coming Home for Christmas will be out November 15, coutesy of Harlequin Historicals. I wrote all three stories in this particular anthology, and it's a multi-generational thing, with each person trying to get home for Christmas.

I have always enjoyed writing Christmas stories, which sometimes strikes me as odd, because I don't really "do" a lot for Christmas beyond the usuals: tree, Christmas cards, an odd Christmas thingy here and there, toffee, peanut brittle, fudge, West Texas Yahoo! Pecan Bark. Gee, I'm already getting tired, and I haven't even started decking the halls.

Carla Kelly
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: With the holiday season once again upon us... Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:

Coming Home for Christmas will be out November 15, coutesy of Harlequin Historicals. I wrote all three stories in this particular anthology, and it's a multi-generational thing, with each person trying to get home for Christmas.

I have always enjoyed writing Christmas stories, which sometimes strikes me as odd, because I don't really "do" a lot for Christmas beyond the usuals: tree, Christmas cards, an odd Christmas thingy here and there, toffee, peanut brittle, fudge, West Texas Yahoo! Pecan Bark. Gee, I'm already getting tired, and I haven't even started decking the halls.

Carla Kelly

Ooh yay! How did I miss the news about this one? Thanks for posting about it or it might have sold out before I found it - as usual for me.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: With the holiday season once again upon us... Reply with quote

wendydfw wrote:
Carla Kelly wrote:

Carla Kelly

Ooh yay! How did I miss the news about this one? Thanks for posting about it or it might have sold out before I found it - as usual for me.

We missed it because it is showing up on fictiondb as a December release.

Three soldiers, three generations, finding love at Christmas

1812: A Christmas in Paradise

To save nurse Laura Ortiz from destitution, British naval surgeon Thomas Wilkie has made her an offer this Christmas—a marriage of convenience….

1855: O Christmas Tree

A generation later, it's Thomas and Laura's daughter, widowed lone mother Lilian, who's working as a nurse in the Crimea. Christmas seems a long way away—until Major Trey Wharton helps her bring back the festive sparkle.

1877: No Crib for a Bed

Lilian's son Captain Wilkie Wharton is finally on his way home from Fort Laramie. It's a long, arduous, life-changing train journey…which sees him discover his soul mate and the true meaning of Christmas!
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: With the holiday season once again upon us... Reply with quote

Due date is November 15. I had so much fun writng "Coming Home for Christmas" that it probably isn't legal.
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out of town at the time this thread began. Leigh was right - it belongs on the Potpourri forum. Never a problem for me to move them - I just try to keep them straight to avoid confusion.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a question about The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig--I've only read The Orchid Affair (actually, I'm listening to it on CD right now) of the Pink Carnation series--would I get anything out of this book, or should I go back and start at the beginning of the series and maybe read Mistletoe next Christmas?

Also, Carla--whoohoo! Smile Particularly looking forward to your Christmas anthology Smile
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merryweather wrote:
I had a question about The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig--I've only read The Orchid Affair (actually, I'm listening to it on CD right now) of the Pink Carnation series--would I get anything out of this book, or should I go back and start at the beginning of the series and maybe read Mistletoe next Christmas?

Also, Carla--whoohoo! Smile Particularly looking forward to your Christmas anthology Smile

Mischief of the Mistletoe works well as a a stand alone. I read it even though I had not read any of the others and didn't feel lost at all.

maggie b.
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

Mischief of the Mistletoe works well as a a stand alone. I read it even though I had not read any of the others and didn't feel lost at all.

maggie b.

Thanks, maggie--it has great reviews and I'm a sucker for a holiday read.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Lizzie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Christmas book I read last month was It Happened One Christmas by Kaitlin O"Riley. I gave it an A in my book journal and a note that it was a very sweet book for the Holidays.

Another book I really liked and is a keeper for me is Mistletoe Magic by Sophia James. I gave it an A also and have re-read it several times. It is from 2009.
patricia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed One Cowboy, One Christmas by Kathleen Eagle

Also love Winter Fire , by Jo Beverly, which was already mentioned.

Life is not measured by the breaths we take.....but by the moments that take our breath away.
patricia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish by Grace Burrows. It is part of a series but is special by itself.

Life is not measured by the breaths we take.....but by the moments that take our breath away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: