AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which film/TV version of Jane Eyre do you like best?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iluvarake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Which film/TV version of Jane Eyre do you like best? Reply with quote

I just watched the 2011 version with Michael Fassbinder and I thought it was beautiful and well done but too short and the ending was abrupt. I saw so many moments in the trailer that weren't in the movie that I searched out the deleted scenes on YouTube. I could have sworn there was a shot of Jane and Rochester happy and with a baby - sort of an epilogue - but it was no where in the movie. Did I imagine that or is there a longer version of this movie available?

I'm thinking of watching the 2006 version next.
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the latest but of the several films and mini series my favorite by far is the Orson Welles/Joan Fontaine version - Welles was the perfect Rochester.
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite adaptation is the 2006 mini series with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens. I felt both actors did a good job of being Jane and Rochester. Very entertaining.

I also though the ending of the newest film too abrupt. I liked the movie regardless, but not my favorite.
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Jane Eyre movie addict and own all but one version. The Toby Stephens version is my favorite although there seems to be something I strongly like about each version. For example, the music in the Ciaran Hines/Samantha Morton version moves me more than the others. In the 2011 version, Michael Fassbender is the best Mr. Rochester of them all. But if I were to pick one to watch tonight, I'd pick up the Toby Stephens/Ruth Wilson version.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen as many Jane Eyre adaptations as the various Austen ones so I can't compare multiple versions.

The only version I own on DVD is the 1983 mini-series with Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke. It's got some dated cinematography, but I enjoyed it.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the latest version yet (but I do think Fassbender would make a great Rochester) but I've seen all the others and with the exception of the William Hurt/Charlotte Gainsbourg one I like something about each of them.

I really love the Timothy Dalton/Zelah Clarke one because it does the whole story (and I love Dalton in the role.) It truly feels complete and the acting is great.

I love the Fontaine/Welles one because Welles has to have one of the greatest voices for that role. The part where he talks about the string that ties their ribs and cord of communication is sublime.

The Toby Stephens version is by far the sexiest and I love it (but I think realistically it takes it way past the book.) I appreciate that it really shows the temptation Jane faced- she's a very passionate creature.

The Ciaran Hinds/Samantha Morton one is really good too and I think he probably comes closest to what Mr. Rochester is supposed to look like. (Even though Hinds is attractive he's not as young looking or as conventionally attractive as Dalton or Stephens.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: