AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nook vs. Kindle, Your Preference?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
I love my Kindle. The device is sturdy and dainty at the same time and easy even for non techies to operate. Amazon Kindle customer support has been great for me (I have been an amazon.com customer for years and have only had positive experiences with their customer service). Amazon also offers lots of e-book deals every day like free books, $1.99 and $2.99 bargains, etc. The Kindle is also easy to side-load with non Kindle formats with programs like calibre.

My friend bought a Nook and has had nothing but problems with downloading from B&N and their tech support sucks. Plus the B&N e-books are generally more expensive than what amazon.com offers.

Well if you take a look at the Kindle forums there are plenty of Kindle owners that have had nothing but problems with their Kindles, last time I looked a few days ago someone was on their 4th one.

Amazon's Customer Service is superior to B&N, no question! I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service as well.

Since the major publishing companies put Agency price laws into effect anything from the big 5 has to be the same price no matter where you buy it.

B&N offers ebook deals as well as free Friday books every Friday. They also offer café promotions so if you have a B&N near you it's a great tie in. I've gotten free small boxes of chocolate, coffee and cookies! I enjoy how the Nook ties in the bookstore shopping experience with giving incentives to get you in there. Even though I mostly purchase ebooks I still enjoy browsing a bookstore.

Anyway, just sayin' ! Very Happy

Linda
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a list of new free romance books - of the 11 each had 10 free and one freebie the other store didn't have. That's become the norm especially since most are publisher chosen.

My favorite freebie B&N books and ones that aren't offered by Amazon are the beautifully formatted Barnes & Noble published Classic editions with essays, notes etc they offer from time to time (often in bunches)

But with a free PC/android/ipad/phone etc app free books can be downloaded from either store, as well as Sony and Kobo.

As of now I believe that Nook is offering better hardware and software in it's devices. From reviews the Nook Tablet obviously benefited from one year refining the Nook Color. The Kindle Fire though has already had two software updates in two weeks to try and iron out the issues with the wireless, touch sensitivity, silk browser, carousel etc. From reading the Ami Kindle boards their very good CS also seems to be a bit in over the heads which is understandable since every new device has a learning curve and tons have been sold.
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
I think both the Nook and the Kindle are both quality machines; each has plusses and minuses depending on your point of view. You can find a lot of web sources that compare the 2 e-readers side-by-side. While they have some features in common, there are differences. My advice is to decide what you want to use it for and what features best match what you want to do. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

ITA with this. I don't think it matters much which one you'll buy - just pick the one that best matches what you want, and I'm sure you'll enjoy having it!

I have a Kindle 3 - AKA Kindle Keyboard; I hate touch screens, and BN doesn't officially sell the Nook out side the US anyway. I bought my original Kindle this summer, and it suffered an unfortunate accident less than a month later. I called customer service (they didn't have a call back option for my country) and got a service rep on the line immediately. He didn't even ask what had caused the problem; malfunctioning Kindle = they send a new one via two-day shipping, and you're not even expected to send the malfunctioning one back until you receive the replacement (they pay for that, too). The only problem was getting someone to bring it from the US, because if I'd given my own address it would have been a bit more of a hassle. But the whole process was smooth, the service rep was professional and friendly, and the replacement Kindle has been working great.

As someone who's dealt primarily with Israeli customer service (motto: "the customer is always at fault"), I really appreciated such good customer support. Now if only they'd do something about those stupid Whispernet charges for international readers...
WandaSue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kindle 3G Keyboard and the Kindle Fire, and love them both.

We had a small problem with the Fire, and tech support was prompt in getting the issue resolved.

I take the Kindle 3G to work with me -- tuck it into my purse, and read it on my lunch break -- a lot easier than lugging around a paperback. Light as feather, and easy to read, and don't have to worry about holding it open as I eat my lunch.

The Fire really is a fun gadget if you want to download movies, TV shows, music, etc., and books. Plus, with Wi-Fi internet access, it just can't be beat! For $199, it's a bargain, IMO. And all the books I downloaded originally onto the 3G show up in beautiful color on the carousel, though need downloading from the cloud to read on the Fire. LOVES it!

Kindle gets my vote!
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you to each and every one of you that posted. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the advice and the time it took for you to respond. I really learned a lot from these posts. I'm so excited to finally be able to purchase e-books. Thanks again for all your help! It's so refreshing to be part of such a supportive and knowledgeable community.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer wrote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you to each and every one of you that posted. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the advice and the time it took for you to respond. I really learned a lot from these posts. I'm so excited to finally be able to purchase e-books. Thanks again for all your help! It's so refreshing to be part of such a supportive and knowledgeable community.

You are so welcome, Jennifer. This really is a place to learn about many things related to books and reading. Just curious - what reader did you decide to purchase? I KNOW you will love the world of ebooks.
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go with the Kindle. I'm an online shopper and am on Amazon all the time so the Kindle seems to be the best choice for me. Hopefully I can get past the technology hurdle Very Happy
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer wrote:
I decided to go with the Kindle. I'm an online shopper and am on Amazon all the time so the Kindle seems to be the best choice for me. Hopefully I can get past the technology hurdle Very Happy

Congrats! I would recommend making use of the Kindle services offered on the Amazon website. They have troubleshooting tips, user guides, etc. I can also recommend calling Kindle Customer Service; they are very helpful in helping you with any problems that you are having or questions you need answered.
utoeid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the K2 and love it. It is light, holds tons of books and feels really comfortable in my hand when holding it. I have been toying with getting the Fire but with the iPad 3 due for release i 2012 I will wait and probably get that instead... But I would still keep the K2 for reading. I owned a Nook (the original) for about 48 hours and back it went. It had this hideous scrolling color bar at the bottom that was distracting and they had no books to offer in comparison with Amazon. B & N has done much better but the Kindle had me at hello.
bookmark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, the simple nook reader is FANTASTIC with battery life. It's the only reader I have tried that the battery do actually last 2 weeks with light reading. Even with heavy reading, it lasts a few days. I love it. Sure it's only black and white and a lot of features could be improved but love, love, love the battery life. Now I don't do a lot of internet use on the device and turn off wi-fi most of the time so I don't know about battery life with internet, but for plain reading, love it.
JWinter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindle all the way baby!!!!!
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those in the market - with Mother's Day coming up there are several sales on Nooks and Kindles:

KINDLES:

Amazon:

Today's Goldbox deal has has the Fire Refurb for $139 starting at 6:00 AM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

Best Buy:

Kindle Touch 3G= $110 ($150 w/ free $40 gift card)
Kindle Fire + Kindle NT= $240 ($200 Fire + 50% off $80 Kindle NT)

Walmart:

Kindle NT= $49 ($79 w/ free $30 gift card)

NOOKS:

Barnes & Noble:

Sellling the REFURB Nook Touch for $65 through their Ebay storefront

$20 off on:

Nook Simple Touch: $79
Nook Color: $149

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208

Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples & Target are also selling both at the same sale price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: