AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The book that started it all
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The book that started it all Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
We all got started on romance novels somehow, My question is what book was it that made you actively pursue the romance genre, it doesn't necessarily have to be the first romance novel you read, just the one that made a fan out of you Razz

for me it was Judith McNaughts "Kingdom of Dreams"

For me it was Outlander and the next 3 books, which were all available at the time. I loved, loved the series. And the next romance I read after finishing those books was Kingdom Of Dreams. I found it lacking a bit after reading Gabaldon, but I have since reread KoD and love it too.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read Pride and Prejudice many years ago and really loved the films (both bbc and Keira Knightly version). I realy liked the era and started looking into romances in the regency era. What got the ball rolling was Julia Quinn's The Duke and I.
jantep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: The book that started it all Reply with quote

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer.
limagal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more or less simultaneously bought 2 books at Goodwill, to pass some time when I was staying at a cousin's house on a trip back home. before that I had read some georgett heyer, etc that did not inspire me and maybe a bodice ripper or 2 way back. The 2 books that started it "Wings of the Storm" by Susan Sizemore - sexy, time travel and the best surprise twist ever!
Cee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom had romance novels when I was growing up, sometimes I would peek at them. The first one I remember reading is A Year and a Day by Virginia Henley. I flipped right to the sex scene and my eyes just about fell out of my head. I was probably around 11 or 12. When I was fifteen I started reading Nora Roberts and Linda Howard (I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the youngest person on this board, which is why I started with those authors. The classic authors of the 70s and 80s were way before my time).

I've always been a lover of romance, even as a little kid my favourite part of books or movies was the romance and the kissing. Laughing
Outlandish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
For me it was Outlander and the next 3 books, which were all available at the time. I loved, loved the series. And the next romance I read after finishing those books was Kingdom Of Dreams. I found it lacking a bit after reading Gabaldon, but I have since reread KoD and love it too.

Judith McNaught's "Paradise" was my first true adult romance novel [read at age 18] and the book that got me hooked onto the romance genre. It remains my favorite contemporary romance even after more than 4 years of reading, with over a thousand books under my belt.

@XINA
Funny, where you've read Gabaldon's work before MacNaught, I did the opposite. After falling in love with McNaught's writing in "Paradise" I went and ordered all of her works and began reading "Kingdom of Dreams" (loved it), to "Something Wonderful" (loved that too) and then took a break to avoid repetitiveness. I continued experimenting with the romance genre with Gabaldon's "Outlander". I read all 3 of the above mentioned novels within 5 days (2 of which was for "Outlander" alone). Needless to say, I went out and ordered the rest of the available Outlander novels... AND HAVE YET TO REGRET THE DAY I OPENED THOSE BOOKS!

Can anyone say "JAMIE..." *sigh*

McNaught's books and Gabaldon's "Outlander" gets all the credit in having bought the historical romance genre a fan for life
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read F&SF since my teens, and enjoyed many that include romantic threads.
The first nominally romance book I read (in my late 30s) was Heyer's Sprig Muslin, which has a lot of humor and a very low-key romance. Reading Barbara Metzger's Cupboard Kisses several months after that confirmed that romance is a genre I can enjoy, and I started reading a lot more romances, gradually increasing to make up 2/3 of my current reading.
fla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first romance novel the I read, when I was 14 years old, was Velvet Bond by Catherine Archer. I liked it so much I immediately searched for other novels in the same genre.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlandish wrote:

@XINA
Funny, where you've read Gabaldon's work before MacNaught, I did the opposite. After falling in love with McNaught's writing in "Paradise" I went and ordered all of her works and began reading "Kingdom of Dreams" (loved it), to "Something Wonderful" (loved that too) and then took a break to avoid repetitiveness. I continued experimenting with the romance genre with Gabaldon's "Outlander". I read all 3 of the above mentioned novels within 5 days (2 of which was for "Outlander" alone). Needless to say, I went out and ordered the rest of the available Outlander novels... AND HAVE YET TO REGRET THE DAY I OPENED THOSE BOOKS!

Can anyone say "JAMIE..." *sigh*

McNaught's books and Gabaldon's "Outlander" gets all the credit in having bought the historical romance genre a fan for life

Well, I was totally against reading romance. My friend who owns a bookstore by my cabin kept at me to read Gabaldon. I saw that the book was in the romance section and told her year after year...that I don't read romance. Finally, after years of trying to get me to read it, I gave in...and loved it. Went back to her store to get the next book, and the next. Finally ran out of books in the series and read a McNaught. At first I didn't think her writing stood up to Gabaldon, but after time I appreciated her style for being unique. And the rest is history. A romance fan was born.
karat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first romance books, other than the classics (Austen, Bronte sisters, etc) where Harlequins. I got hooked after reading Columbine by Miranda Jarrett, and Highlander by Ruth Langan. Unfortunately, I have never found another book by either author that I actually liked, but I enjoyed many other Harlequins, and found other very good authors. Finally one day I "discovered" the single titles, reading For the Roses by Julie Garwood, and found a whole new group of books to enjoy. Smile
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom used to read romances and in my pre-teens I'd sneak a look at the covers of awe-inspiring male flesh Embarassed but didn't read anything romantic until junior high when our study hall was in the senior library.

I read parts of a few teen romances, then a fellow student (who had an impressive collection) shared tid-bits with me and I loved it - I might be better in math today if I'd been paying attention, but oh well. Laughing
PeggyL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not counting Romance in Chinese (which I read ferociously--I think that's an apt description--in my formative years), the "hook" for me is rather a "Romantic Suspense" by Iris Johansen. But I can't remember whether it was Long After Midnight or The Ugly Duckling. Anyway, then like a crazy person, I tried to obtain her complete backlist, which included some really old school historicals. And I never looked back, meaning I haven't read Johansen for a number of years. This was the mid-90's.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first romance that I remember reading was Dawnfire. It had a beautiful cover and was a viking romance. I remember adoring it, and thinking the cover was awesome. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it these days, but I loved it.

I also rememember with fondness Clan of the Cave Bear and Valley of the horses. I was ill with the measles and couldn't watch tv or read, and had to sit in a dark room to avoid hurting my eyes. my mother read them to me.
BarbaraSD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen Woodiwiss's The Flame and the Flower
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read romanTIC books in my pre-romance days as romance books in their current form weren't being written then. Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm one of the "seniors". I can't remember the exact book, but I think it might have been Frenchman's Creek by Daphne duMaurier (where the h/h DON'T end up together-terribly romantic but terribly sad or Katherine by Anya Seton where they do end up together but only after many horrible things happened to both and the hero was married to another woman whom he did love for much of the book. Again, I'm not sure I would classify it as a romance, though very romantic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: