AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Book Stores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngieMB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Used Book Stores Reply with quote

Is your local used bookstore really picky on the books it takes? My local UBS just closed up in July. Now the closest ones are about an hour away. One of them is a really nice store, but they only take books priced $6.99 or higher, although I've found cheaper books there. Don't know where they came from. There is another, much smaller used bookstore in the same city. They will take cheaper books, but they won't take any of the small series romance books or anthologies. And at that one, if you want to get a paranormal book, then you have to trade paranormals in for it.

There are so many rules to remember. I have to separate my books to be traded into separate bags. And of course I still have to wait and see if they will take what I have, whether they already have too many copies of that particular book or whatever reason they have for not taking them.

My old bookstore would pretty much take anything. Maybe that's why they had to close. I was just wondering how it is for everybody else.
merryweather

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live 30 minutes from the greatest UBS in the world. Their system took a little while for me to figure out but it's not very restrictive to my mind. They stamp every book that they take with their stamp and they will always that those back no matter what and give you credit for every book--they keep a little card file with your totals. If you don't have any credit all the books are half price, so it's important to bring the books back to get the credit. Then it they drop down to like 50 cents per book. A great deal!

They have a whole room of romance divided by historical, harlequin, old school regencies, anthologies, etc. Then they have a contemporary romance section and now they are starting a pretty good (it seems) paranormal section.

In the front of the store is a large rack with new releases people have just turned in--those are always half off the list price. But that seems reasonable and still a good deal. There is a small section of hardcovers and they are always half off.

Anyway, I feel fortunate to have a great UBS nearby. Though I admit since my kindle I haven't been visiting as much. Crying or Very sad
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
xina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have sold romance novels (I have donated a good amount too) I alwlays sell them at Half Price Books. They will take anything that is clean and pages intact, but they buy for next to nothing. Really...a whole bag of romance novels will give me about $3.00. Hardly worth the trip. However, other genres I will get much more. I don't bother trying to sell at the other 10 UBS's that I go to because they don't take romance novels period. I like browsing used book stores, but selling my books...I would rather donate to my library. At least the money they make is going to a good cause.
robiform

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, the only UBS near me (there used to be three, but two of them closed) takes any and all paperbacks, including romance novels of any kind. However, they don't accept hardback books!

These days, I mainly donate my paperbacks to the local library for either the Friends of the Library sale or to be added to the unclassified paperback collection. I also trade books with people who work out at the local Curves gym. That's on the honor system; if you take a book, you need to leave a book. And it works!
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones near me won't take books that were published past a certain date. It was very frustrating when I found a new to me author with a large back list and wanted to get older books. Luckily it's not so much the case these days as I buy mostly new books, but I've felt bad for new readers to the romance genre not being able to find some really good older books.

Though now, thankfully I see that many an author has regained the rights and are offering them as ebooks - books like Conor's Way, Marsha Canham's older books and many more. Not only that, but I just love the fact that I can carry so many well loved books all in one convenient tablet (at the risk of sounding like a sales person for either Kobo or Kindle Wink )
Yulie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my UBS has ever turned down a book I've brought, though I have seen them turn down other people's books if they bring in something that is overstocked. Normally I receive about $2.5 for a book in good shape (bought new and read only by me), less for books that aren't as pretty Very Happy. Any books bought from them are marked with the price you paid and you get 50% back when you return them. If I return books and don't buy anything that day, they just give me cash.

I don't buy there much these days, because prices here are high and a used book can cost as much as a new one from The Book Depository or an e-book that's not agency priced. But over the years, it's certainly been a great resource to me as a reader living in a non-English language country.
BarbaraSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must shop at The Book Mark in Escondido? Isn't it a wonderful book store. I live just a couple of miles from it and go there all the time. Will be devastated if it ever closes. There was another super great book store in El Cajon called Romance World but it closed its doors a couple of years ago. I think she joined forces with a book store in Poway. One of these days I want to check it out.

[quote="merryweather"]I live 30 minutes from the greatest UBS in the world. Their system took a little while for me to figure out but it's not very restrictive to my mind. They stamp every book that they take with their stamp and they will always that those back no matter what and give you credit for every book--they keep a little card file with your totals. If you don't have any credit all the books are half price, so it's important to bring the books back to get the credit. Then it they drop down to like 50 cents per book. A great deal!

They have a [b]whole room[/b] of romance divided by historical, harlequin, old school regencies, anthologies, etc. Then they have a contemporary romance section and now they are starting a pretty good (it seems) paranormal section.

In the front of the store is a large rack with new releases people have just turned in--those are always half off the list price. But that seems reasonable and still a good deal. There is a small section of hardcovers and they are always half off.

Anyway, I feel fortunate to have a great UBS nearby. Though I admit since my kindle I haven't been visiting as much. Crying or Very sad[/quote]
Winnie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our UBS closed about 5 years ago. I sure miss it. They would take all paperbacks in good condition, give you credit for half the price of the book. There was another UBS about a 30 minute drive from me, but they closed too. I sure wish another one would open. I used to love to just browse. It was a great thing to do on a rainy afternoon.
merryweather

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarbaraSD wrote:
You must shop at The Book Mark in Escondido? Isn't it a wonderful book store.
]

Yes I do! We are very lucky, right? Smile I have like $63.00 in credit there right now--I'm trying to clear out my huge shelf of paperbacks and am being more picky about what I buy in paper verses Kindle. But I browse there almost every week--my kids go to school right around the corner from the shop.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following romance-friendly stores in the San Diego area all knew me by sight for several years, but with my change to almost all ebooks I haven't been to most in two or three years, so I don't know if they are still open. Nina’s Books (at El Cajon & College in San Deigo, used & one alcove of new), Paperback Books (on Poway Rd. in Poway, used), Book Mark (on Grand Ave. in Escondido, biggest UBS I know), Gracie’s Book Nook (on Sweetwater in National City, used & one rack of new).
I don't know if they still do it, but several years ago many of these UBS had a small free booklet listing 80+ area bookstores: The Bookstores of San Diego, being a directory of the active bookstore members of the San Diego Booksellers Association. It lists addresses, phone #s, email, business hours, and genres carried. I've never looked, but SDBA might have a web site with equivalent info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: