AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Paranormal Western is a Best Seller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angela claire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Hot Paranormal Western is a Best Seller Reply with quote

The Doctor Takes a Mate is a Best Seller!

http://www.bookstrand.com/the-doctor-takes-a-mate

Story Excerpt

There needed to be some plain speaking about the body. His body, specifically. “Skye, sit down for a minute.”

She looked at him in surprise but complied.

He stayed standing, hands clasped behind his back, trying to muster up some dignity, which was pretty darned hard in a blanket and boots and, despite his best efforts, still sporting a hard-on. “I am extremely grateful to you. I am. If you hadn’t found me and brought me here and taken such good care of me, I’d have died. I know that. But now that I’m getting better, I have to draw some lines about our interaction for as long as we’re alone here.”

“Why?”

Her big blue eyes were as wide and as innocent as a babe’s. Not a hint of understanding of what he might be talking about. Dignity be damned. He was frustrated. “For Christ’s sake, how old are you?”

“I don’t know.” No hesitation there.

“Well, you’ve got to be in your twenties at least.”

“Maybe. Probably, if I had to guess.”

“Haven’t you ever had a beau, Skye?”

“A beau?”

“A suitor? Someone who fancies you?”

She laughed. “No. Although the preacher’s wife in town said I inspired lust in the menfolk. Is that what you’re talking about?”

Hell, yeah. Admitting she inspired it in him, too, however, was not how he wanted to run this conversation. Lust sounded too explosive and like he was assigning blame, to either her or himself. And he wasn’t. Nature was what it was. Attraction to the opposite sex was normal and natural—and totally unwelcome given the present circumstances.

He needed to be more matter-of-fact here.

He was a doctor, after all. He could talk clinically about this kind of thing. Of course he’d never been called upon to do so with a hard-on and while speaking to the object of his c_ck’s affections. “You know the mechanics of human sexuality, don’t you?”

“Human sexuality?”

The emphasis on the first word took him back a little. What did she think he was talking about? Sheep?

“Yeah. Human sexuality.”

“I’ve read about it some.”

He didn’t stop to wonder where. He was just grateful for it. “Fine. Excellent. So you know that in order for, er, mating to take place, a man must be aroused so that his, er, masculine organ fills with blood and becomes hard.”

“An erection,” she said simply.

His lips pursed. Well, she might have stopped his stumbling sooner if she knew what he meant anyway.

“Yes, an erection.”

Her eyes never left his, as if she wasn’t connecting any of this to the tentpole sticking straight out below the blanket at his hips.

“So, what I mean is, when a man gets an erection and doesn’t need one, so to speak—”

“Need one? Why would he need one?”

“To mate.”

“Oh, right. He needs to do that, right?”

If he didn’t know better, he’d think she was egging him on, trying to draw this embarrassing discussion out further.

“Yes, of course. It’s a basic drive to do so.”

“For just the male or for the female, too?”

She seemed to be warming to the subject.

“Both, actually, regardless of what the God-fearing Timmses may have told you.”

“Oh, they didn’t tell me anything. But I have been wondering.”

She was paying close attention to him now, elbows on the bolt of fabric, lost scissors forgotten.

Now where was he? Oh, yes, the inadvisability of giving a man an erection when there were no plans to f_ck, er, mate. “So if a man is in a constant state of arousal and does not mate, it can be quite painful, not to mention a real nuisance.”

She suddenly honed in on the evidence of his erection with the same expression of detachment she’d worn when she was measuring his bare waist with her hands. “Oh, I see.” She nodded. “So you’re proposing to mate with me?”

Well now, he wasn’t proposing anything of the kind—not that he hadn’t thought about it quite a few times—but something about her bland reaction just rubbed him the wrong way.

“I’m not even sure it’s possible,” she added before he could react.

Annoyed, he abandoned his professorial stance to lean aggressively forward, palms on the rough, scratched surface of the table. “Oh, it’s possible, Skye. Believe me.”

“Well, if you want to try, I guess we could.”

Oh for Christ’s sake! “No, I don’t want to try! Don’t go saying something like that to a grown man. Look, mating isn’t something to be so calm about. If you go asking any fellow in town if he wants to mate with you, I guarantee you’ll be getting a line right back up to this mountain. So be careful what you say.”

“I didn’t say it. You did.”

“I did not—” This was going all wrong. Jack took a seat across from her at the table, taking a deep breath to slow himself down. “I mean, it would be very wrong to take advantage of your hospitality and what I know must be your innocence by making untoward advances toward you.”

“You haven’t.”

“No, I haven’t. And I don’t want to.”

“You don’t?”

“No. Now you may not have a mirror up here, Skye, but I got one in my medical bag, which I’m going to pull out very soon to shave this stubble off my face. And I’ll show you then if you like. But mirror or no mirror, you have to know what you are.”

The bland expression she’d been sporting veered into a look of dismay, mouth dropping open, eyes wide and startled, her complexion suddenly turning fiery red. He was taken aback for a minute, but he ignored it and continued. “You’re an extremely attractive young woman, and I’d be blind if I didn’t notice that.”

She swallowed, and the bland expression was back. “Oh. That.”

“Yes. That. Now, I want to be a gentleman, and I will be—don’t have any worries about that—but you have to meet me halfway.”

“Where?”

“Don’t be so literal.”

“What?”

They were getting off the subject here, which was her cooperation in endeavoring not to give him an erection with all her casual touching and such.

Unless she planned to do something about it, of course. Which she didn’t. She most definitely didn’t. So he could just put that right out of his mind.

Ellora's Cave Books at www.ellorascave.com/author/angela-claire

Siren Bookstrand books at http://www.bookstrand.com/angela-claire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: