AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eloisa James-Kiss Me, Annabel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolydixon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Eloisa James-Kiss Me, Annabel Reply with quote

I have never read anything by Eloisa James. Is this a good place to start? Do you have a favorite by her? Thanks for any insight!
Manda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest starting with the first book in that series, MUCH ADO ABOUT YOU. In fact, that's where I tell most EJ readers to start. Its a good book, plus it gives a feel for her intertwined stories. You could also start with any of her fairy tale stories. The best of those imho is WHEN BEAUTY TAMED THE BEAST.

She's one of my favorite authors. Hope you enjoy!
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Manda and frankly, Much Ado About You is my favorite James book. I also enjoyed, and would recommend, Duchess In Love which was the first James book I ever read. But I stopped reading Ms James' books after Pleasure For Pleasure (even though they are well written) because she has too many secondary characters for my taste.
willaful

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM,A was actually the first book by her I read. I would say that it's easier to follow if you've read MAAY -- with the caveat that I think the first is a weaker book.
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the other hand, think Kiss Me, Annabel is the weakest of the Essex sisters series. Much Ado About You is not only my favorite of the series but one of my all time favorite books.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4-book Essex Sisters series is what made me into a huge Eloisa James fan. (I've long since dropped her from my auto-buy list... her latest stuff is very hit-or-miss for me.)

I definitely recommend all 4 books and you should read them in order. Much Ado About You sets up a story that continues throughout the entire series. For me, MAAY was my favorite of the four as well.
PJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really a huge Eloisa James fan, but this is one of the few books by her I truly enjoyed. A keeper for me, though I realize it's not highly recommended or extremely popular.

I quite like how unrepentant Annabel is in her scorn and snobbery at the start and how she matures. I always have a soft spot for a heroine who actually comes with flaws instead of being infinitely worldly, intelligent, kind, and modest in her beautiful or humble in her plain Jane-ness while looking after every orphan and prostitute in her vicinity and penning articles on the Corn Laws for her local paper.

I think it may be a frustrating read for some (and truthfully it is nothing extraordinary), but I really adored it.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Essex Sisters series is my favorite too, but I have enjoyed all of Eloisa's books, maybe some a little more than others naturally. I love her handling of language, multiple story threads, and literary allusions as much or more than anyone writing romance today.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the nicest thing about the Essex Sisters Series is that you see the girls in all the books. You really get to know them and by the last two you really have seen those two heroines and want them to get their HEA.
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
I am not really a huge Eloisa James fan, but this is one of the few books by her I truly enjoyed. A keeper for me, though I realize it's not highly recommended or extremely popular.

Kiss Me Annabelle was one of my favorite of Eloisa James books also. Another favorite Eloisa James was When Beauty Tamed the Beast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: