AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Me and Mine (Gay Priest Romance) - By Sarah Goodwin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
- more that he's an innocent who has repressed what he believes are sinful tendencies, and when the teenager confesses their obsession with him he makes all the wrong choices.

I'm so glad someone else has read this and can chime in! I may get it anyway and just read on my laptop.

Anyway, the above is intriguing to me. I was brought up Catholic, went to a Catholic school, my brother was an alterboy. My great Aunt Rita was a nun which to my grandma (Irish Catholic) made her a rock star! I could probably recite the entire mass by the time I was 10. Having this background, even as a child I wondered what would lead a man into the priesthood, a lifetime of being sex and marriage free, it doesn't seem natural. Do they always have a 'calling' to serve God or is there more to it? Is there something deep inside that they are ashamed or frightened of (such as homosexuality) and they knew they'd never fit into mainstream society, or are they trying to 'make up for it' by serving God in this way? What would happen if and when those feelings are awakened?

If the above is too much of a religious debate please mods feel free to delete, just explaining how this fascinates me.

Of course I think the abuse of young boys by priests is disgusting and the Vatican is just as guilty for covering it up. I've lost a lot of respect for the Catholic religion because of it. But it is rooted deep in my childhood so it still interests me. I can't say how I'd look on this book unless I've actually read it, to see how the characters are presented, their maturity level, their interactions etc. I think it could make for a good story..or not, depending on the talent of the author.

Linda
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have not received an answer from the original poster, I am moving this to the Writer's forum. We are assuming that she is the author. By abusing the rules of these forums and posting on our Let's Talk forum, she has garnered much attention - good or bad - and been given unfair advantage over the authors who do respect our rules and limit their posts concerning their new books to the Writer's forum. It is something we take seriously.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
MMcA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, the above is intriguing to me. I was brought up Catholic, went to a Catholic school, my brother was an alterboy. My great Aunt Rita was a nun which to my grandma (Irish Catholic) made her a rock star! I could probably recite the entire mass by the time I was 10. Having this background, even as a child I wondered what would lead a man into the priesthood, a lifetime of being sex and marriage free, it doesn't seem natural. Do they always have a 'calling' to serve God or is there more to it? Is there something deep inside that they are ashamed or frightened of (such as homosexuality) and they knew they'd never fit into mainstream society, or are they trying to 'make up for it' by serving God in this way? What would happen if and when those feelings are awakened?

I think that's very much where this book starts - Stephen has entered into the priesthood for the wrong reasons, though with the best of intentions, but he is in some ways quite innocent, and quite isolated, and when he encounters this teenager who idolises him, he misjudges his own ability to cope with the situation. A flawed man, rather than an evil one.

Truthfully, I could have done with a bit more discussion of his religious position in the book - without wanting it to be an inspirational, I'd like to have had a better idea of his theology. At the beginning of the book, he's very clear - homosexuality is a sin that leads to Hell, and even homosexual thoughts or fantasies are wrong. But later (and I'm not sure if this is spoiler territory or not) after he's left the priesthood, he forms a friendship with a theologically liberal priest who argues otherwise. I'd have been interested to follow Stephen's thinking on that.

Otherwise, as a non-Catholic christian I liked the way religion was talked about in the book. The book isn't inspirational - it's not about religion - but religion is important to some of the characters and it's allowed to be problematic and a serious concern for those characters. And equally, other characters don't feel it's important.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:

I think that's very much where this book starts - Stephen has entered into the priesthood for the wrong reasons, though with the best of intentions, but he is in some ways quite innocent, and quite isolated, and when he encounters this teenager who idolises him, he misjudges his own ability to cope with the situation. A flawed man, rather than an evil one.

Truthfully, I could have done with a bit more discussion of his religious position in the book - without wanting it to be an inspirational, I'd like to have had a better idea of his theology. At the beginning of the book, he's very clear - homosexuality is a sin that leads to Hell, and even homosexual thoughts or fantasies are wrong. But later (and I'm not sure if this is spoiler territory or not) after he's left the priesthood, he forms a friendship with a theologically liberal priest who argues otherwise. I'd have been interested to follow Stephen's thinking on that.

Otherwise, as a non-Catholic christian I liked the way religion was talked about in the book. The book isn't inspirational - it's not about religion - but religion is important to some of the characters and it's allowed to be problematic and a serious concern for those characters. And equally, other characters don't feel it's important.

I'm so glad you chimed in with your thoughts, thank you!

Linda
HideNothing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: New Sarah Goodwin Novel :) Reply with quote

Hey guys, long time no see Smile

Ink – by Sarah Goodwin

Eli Thompson is the son of Oak Island’s preacher. Since the death of his mother, Eli has fallen foul of everything his father holds dear – indulging in drink, drugs, women and men.
With a dark secret weighing on him, Eli is determined to lose himself to vice, no matter what the cost

Daniel Fisher is a twenty-six year old high-school janitor, who spends his nights taking care of his seventeen-year-old brother, Cory. With an alcoholic father to support, Daniel’s plate is full, even before one of the school’s students decides to seduce him.

When Eli enters his life, Daniel is too lost in his own despair to consider the consequences of their fling, and as he grows closer to Eli, and to the boy’s damaged former choirboy persona, he realises that all is not as it seems with the teenager.
However, neither of them knows the secret that connects them and their families. A secret that will eventually break their hearts afresh, and test their new relationship to its limits.

This book is, like my first, available for around a dollar, or under a pound on amazon. The paperback is more pricey, but worth it if you, like me, hate reading on screen.

Available on the kindle store –
http://www.amazon.com/Ink-ebook/dp/B006KEVGSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1323593520&sr=1-1

And as a paperback via Lulu.com. - http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/ink/18740408?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: