AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am slowly going crazy...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: I am slowly going crazy... Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice for getting double-sided tape off delicate clothing (silk/poly blend)? I was dumb enough to wear a low-backed droopy dress in South Carolina in July, and I still can't get the bloody tape residue off.

Things I've tried:

- Doing the old "tape it off" method - you know, using tape to un-stick tape. Not strong enough for my double-sided tape, which was basically wig tape.
- Cooling with ice cube, and try to rub it off. Doesn't work.
- Just rubbing it off. Also doesn't work.
- Waiting, and hoping it'll just fall off. CLEARLY doesn't work.

Any ideas? Please please please?
LouiseM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product called Goo Gone. I have never tried it, so I cannot guarantee it would work on delicate clothes. Well, it might work on the clothes, but as to what they look like after....

My sister used it for stains and other stuff on carpets and swears by it.

Last solution might be a specialized dry cleaner.

I am sorry that's all I can think of.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the goo gone only as a last result- it may well ruin the dress it's quite -for lack of a better word- gooey.

I would try using a hair dryer to heat the tape up a bit an try peeling it off or sticking something to it while it was warm to try to pull it off. I saw a program once on vintage theatre posters and that was how they would remove the old tape etc from the back without ruining the posters.

I've had similar run ins with "hollywood tape" I've used to keep blouses in place but the wig tape sounds much stronger as I have been able to pull off the clothes tape by picking at it. Whatever you do- DO NOT Launder it until you get it off. I have a pair of white socks with an errant bit of band aid permanently fused to them after going through the washer and dryer.

Good luck!
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using a hair dryer on the tape and working it off gradually. Or...placing a cloth made of cotton over the tape and ironing over that. Probably the best thing to do is to call a dry cleaner and they will tell you how to do it at home, if it is possible. Good luck!
dick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goo gone works, but may affect the fabric. Otherwise, you might try steaming it from the other side while dabbing from the other with anything the resin will stick to. The other solution might be to use the goo to fuse a piece of fabric over it...depending on where it resides, of course.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to use Goo Gone as a last resort, but the steaming/cloth tape (sounds kind of like waxing) sounds hopeful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: