AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romantic suspense without serial killers/madmen/terrorists?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva wrote:
I love contemporary gothic novels. I second the recommendations of Susanna Kearsley. Her novels Mariana and The Splendour Falls are also wonderful. Her newer novel The Winter Sea is excellent, but more has more of a historical romance feel than a gothic romance. She wrote Every Secret Thing under the name Emma Cole. There is some violence in the beginning that made me cringe, but the remainder of the book focused on the puzzle and has some very well done suspense.

I've looked everywhere for a copy of Splendour Falls! (for less than $50, that is - I love Susanna enough to order her new books from Canada and that's saying a lot from this library addict, but can't quite justify that.)

Every Secret Thing has been reprinted as a Kearsley. It's not a romance, but I completely fell in love with Andrew Deacon.
JMM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline Llewellyn. She wrote four books; style similar to BM and SK and MS. (I finally got a Mary Stewart - the governess protecting the child)

Life Blood
Masks of Rome
False Light
Lady of the Labrynith.
Rosario

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I've looked everywhere for a copy of Splendour Falls! (for less than $50, that is - I love Susanna enough to order her new books from Canada and that's saying a lot from this library addict, but can't quite justify that.)

There's a copy going for 5 on ebay UK, ending tomorrow. They ship only within the UK, but maybe if you ask nicely they'll be persuaded to ship elsewhere if necessary?

It's a fantastic book -I was only able to get an affordable copy a few years ago because it had a torn cover.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosario wrote:

There's a copy going for 5 on ebay UK, ending tomorrow. They ship only within the UK, but maybe if you ask nicely they'll be persuaded to ship elsewhere if necessary?

It's a fantastic book -I was only able to get an affordable copy a few years ago because it had a torn cover.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the psychic detectives, Kay Hooper had some romantic suspense novels that were similar to older Gothics -- except you got to see more of the heroes. These were stories about family secrets coming to light, etc.

Haunting Rachel was reviewed here:
http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4943

Others included Finding Laura (I liked that one) and After Caroline. I just checked, and they're still in print and available in Kindle editions (so they're probably available for the Nook, Sony, Kobo, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: