AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borders is now closing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winnie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Borders is now closing Reply with quote

The news stated that Borders could not find any buyer for the chain. It is now closing 400 stores. We do not have a Borders in our area, but it is always sad when book store closes.
JEM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: I'm sad about Borders Reply with quote

This makes me sad. I actually like Borders. Between work, home and my general hang out area there were five stores in easy distance (which was probably part of the problem)

I liked that Borders sent out coupons (another problem?); those coupons encouraged me to buy far more than I should have. Now there won't really be any bookstores in my area. The closest bookstores would require a special trip (on the highway or back roads) since I don't really travel to those areas on a regular basis.

Also, those stores are B&N stores which I don't particularly like because the ones I've been in don't shelve genre fiction separately. I've found a lot of new authors and books just by browsing the shelves at Borders. I can't really do that on Amazon or at B&N.

I'm also really sad for the employees. I was a bit of a regular though I didn't talk much to the staff, but going every week you become accustomed to seeing familiar faces.
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sad about this news. I have about 10 books on pre-order there, some I used giftcards for. I figured IF it came to pass that they would close, we'd have more notice. But mostly I will just miss them.

My local store was one of the ones that closed in the first round. But I've still been using them to shop on-line. Guess I will start using Amazon now. I refuse to shop at my local B&N since the few times I've been in there, the clerks were very unfriendly.

Anyone else have any on-line recommendations for bookstores?
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by Borders today after lunch. It was crowded in the store with a notice stating all questions re: the closing should be directed to corporate offices. I did buy a book The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs since it's an all-time favorite and it was actually there on the shelf. I looked for Slightly Married but it wasn't available. One of the clerks is a friend of mine so we briefly spoke. I remember when the big book stores put a lot of mom and pops out of business. Now Borders is going out of business. Just seems like the natural order of things as new technology develops and changes how we live (and read). Think You've Got Mail.
robiform

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a steady shopper at my neighborhood Borders for over 15 years, so I'm especially sorry that all Borders stores will be closing. I do have an e-reader (a NOOK from Barnes & Noble), but any time that I wanted a "book", my neighborhood Borders was usually more likely to have it than the neighborhood Barnes & Noble. This was especially true for romance novels--and unlike in many B&N stores, the romance shelves at my Borders store were always in very good order. So, if I was looking for a particular book or author, I could zero in on exactly what I was looking for.

I went to my local Borders store yesterday--the first day of the "going-out-of-business" sale, and of course it was very crowded with bargain-hunters. I guess it's another step along the path to the end of bricks-and-mortar retailing!
roseisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bookstore is closing - bought 95% of my books from Borders.

The friendly staff I have known for over ten years will soon be unemployed.

With all the nasty articles and posts I've seen of why Borders failed, no one is lamenting that almost 11,000 people will soon be unemployed.

Are jobs that easy to find in this recession?

Guess it just goes to show what the priorities of the human heart are.

I visited my store yesterday to give the staff a hug, my name and number to use for job reference.

Does anyone else really care?

Crying or Very sad - No glasses today, yes I've got tears in my eyes.
mehromnce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
Really sad about this news. I have about 10 books on pre-order there, some I used giftcards for. I figured IF it came to pass that they would close, we'd have more notice. But mostly I will just miss them.

I also pre-orderd a book using a gift card. Have you heard how they are handling online pre-orders? Will they be cancelled so we can use our gift card monies towards other books? I sent an e-mail to Borders on Sunday but haven't received a reply or a phone call (although, I'm sure they are slammed with e-mails and calls).

I am also very sad about this because I loved, loved Borders! I feel for everyone who will losing their jobs.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roseisa wrote:
My bookstore is closing - bought 95% of my books from Borders.

The friendly staff I have known for over ten years will soon be unemployed.

With all the nasty articles and posts I've seen of why Borders failed, no one is lamenting that almost 11,000 people will soon be unemployed.

Are jobs that easy to find in this recession?

Guess it just goes to show what the priorities of the human heart are.

I visited my store yesterday to give the staff a hug, my name and number to use for job reference.

Does anyone else really care?

Crying or Very sad - No glasses today, yes I've got tears in my eyes.

I too bought most of my romances from Borders. I never buy from a new-to-me author without first reading a chapter or two, and the online book sellers often don't let me preview enough to know if I'll like it. As a result, I've bought far fewer books since the Borders near my house closed. It had a huge Romance section, much bigger than B&N's and much better kept -- the books at B&N are often mis-filed, whereas the Borders staff clearly made sure the books were properly shelved.

But most of all, I feel so bad about the employees. As much as I might rant about the snobbery of some of their staff, most were friendly and extremely willing to help, and no matter how they felt about Romance they did, after all, keep those Romances neat so I could find the books I was looking for. I hope they find work soon, but this is such a tough economy I worry for them.
library addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mehromnce wrote:

I also pre-orderd a book using a gift card. Have you heard how they are handling online pre-orders? Will they be cancelled so we can use our gift card monies towards other books? I sent an e-mail to Borders on Sunday but haven't received a reply or a phone call (although, I'm sure they are slammed with e-mails and calls).

I am also very sad about this because I loved, loved Borders! I feel for everyone who will losing their jobs.

I emailed them last week on Monday when it was announced, but had not heard back. So, I called them today. Actually I'd tried calling yesterday too but after being on hold 40 minutes had to go. Today I only had to wait 32 minutes before getting to talk to a real person Razz

It's actually better news than I expected. One of my orders from was for Alissa Johnson's nearly a Lady which came out June 7, but has been on backorder. Since I didn't know my gift card number (I pre-ordered the book back in December) they cancelled the order and are sending me a new gift card.

My other pre-orders I used gift cards and Borders bucks for are all for books releasing in August and she said they will be able to fulfill them. I gave her all of my individual order numbers and she double-checked them. I'm happy because as I told the lady, I'd rather have my books than the money back.

For any books releasing September or later they don't know, but I would imagine they'll be out of business by then. Altogether I had 17 books on pre-order, so I'm bummed I won't be getting most of them since they release later in the year. But I am not out any money as they are all ones which would have gone against my credit card once they shipped.

So, my advice is to call. It may take a while to get through, but as usual the customer service rep was very friendly and sent me an email confimation right away. I told her I was very sorry she was losing her job and that I had tried to keep them in business Crying or Very sad
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Borders for 10 years and have kept up with many of my old co-workers in real life and on Facebook so it's been an ongoing dirge for me. Working for Borders was a really magical experience. The people I worked with were all unique, fascinating, annoying and wonderful, like the ideal family you'd never be able to pick for yourself. During my stint I worked with a Jewish scholar, a professor of Chinese history, a travel writer, a couple of would-be novelists, a jazz musician, an actress and a multilingual hobbyist of Viking lore to name a few. Before Google, if you had a question you could count on getting it answered at our store and probably without having to wait because the expert in question would be working when you arrived. (We were known to call people at home for particularly tough nuts and nobody really minded.)

When my first print book came out, I had had this fantasy of having a photograph of myself standing in the main info desk holding it. They announced that the store I worked at was being closed weeks before my book arrived. I managed to get a photo three days before they shut their doors forever. It's a Hobby Lobby now and I haven't been able to work up the courage to go in it.

As I was planning this summer's trip home from Abu Dhabi, I was dreaming about going into a Borders, grabbing a pile of mags and sitting in the ebar drinking coffee and reading for an afternoon. Borders announced their liquidation two days - two days - before I flew home. I went to the nearest Borders and it felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest the whole time I was there.

Sorry for the long post, but losing Borders for me has been like losing a beloved friend who had dementia. We knew it was coming. The beginning of the end was way back in about 2002 when they cut events from 40 a month to 5. By the time the end came, it wasn't really the Borders I had known and loved, but the shell was still there. Now even the shell is gone and I feel like 10 years of my life have been eliminated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: