AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E Book and Kindle question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenwick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: E Book and Kindle question Reply with quote

I notice that Amazon does not offer J.D. Robb in kindle form now. (I tried for the first few) When I went to kobo, the price per book had jumped and all coupons were refused before you even tried. Feehan is the same on Kobo (I have not checked out kindle yet)

What is going on with the publishers and ebooks?
willaful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Kindle issue, but the Kobo issue is probably that the publisher is what's called an "Agency" publisher -- they set the prices and discounts by the seller aren't allowed. (Though they are starting to do some discounts set by the publisher.) So coupons and specials never apply to the Agency publishers. If you go to Kobo and see books with no markdowns, they are almost certainly Agency.
fizz379

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebook publishing is still relatively new (although not THAT new anymore and so it shouldn't be an excuse) and so there is very little standardization and no incentive for publishers/sellers to standardize when they can lock readers into a particular format. Because of DRM these formats cannot be converted.

While I am a supporter of DRM because I think its a great way to crack down on pirating, it's a shame that there is not standardization in format and with devices. I have the old nook and I love it so I'm not running out to buy the new nook, but what if in a year Amazon has a new kindle out that is awesome and I want to upgrade? Will the 200 ($1600+) books I bought on barnes and noble just go to waste because I can't read them on my kindle? Will i have to keep two devices going? Will I have to forgo the new kindle and settle for a older less advanced b&n nook?

What also drives me crazy is I can't organize my ebooks the way I want or edit their metadata if it's incorrect (sometimes they get the author wrong or make spelling mistakes).

JD Robb books are available in Nook format on B&N, but with the DRM they cannot be read on a Kindle. If they didn't have the DRM they could be converted from epub format to mobi with Calibre free software.

For these reasons I am not philosophically opposed to stripping the DRMs from books that I buy, as long as I'm not sending copies to all my friends or putting it up on a torrent website. If I'm stripping the DRM just for my own personal use and so that I can buy from any publisher, read on any device, and organize my books into a library then I can sleep fine at night. Personally I think it's the industry's fault that I have to do this if they can't make it easier for me to make my own choices.

If you're interested then look into Calibre software and extra plugins that allow you to do this. I can't say how here because it is probably against the terms of use to advise how to do something illegal but you can find it pretty easily with a google search.
Fenwick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. I have a new Nook. (a gift from my husband) I was having some problems getting it to work on my computer so we registered it under my husband's name and used his computer. When I ordered another book under his name, the download stripped out the book I had ordered under my name previously. Now it is lost unless I re register under my own name and use my computer.

I realized then that ebooks are just long term rentals and the publishers control the product not you. It gave me a bad feeling.

I also realized there were problems with organization as they throw in titles they want to sell all the time and overwhelm the few books I had bought. I had planned to spent about $100 a month to replace my paper books but after the price increase I decided to keep very few books on the reader, just the new books I buy. I feel safer with my collection that way.
fizz379

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to make sure you easily hold on to the ebook files you've purchased is to download them to your computer first (using either Nook for PC/Mac or Kindle for PC/Mac, etc) and then add the downloaded file to your device, rather than downloading directly to your nook.

On the old Nook this would be the difference between "My Documents" and "My BN Downloads" under My Library. The added file would be under My Documents. On my mac I find the files by going to Documents --> My Barnes and Noble eBooks and then just drag them into the My Documents folder under my nook device when its plugged in.

The book you bought under your name is still available, it just isn't available under your husbands name and so doesn't show up when you registered your nook to his account. If you manually download your book to your computer first from your account and then add it to your nook I think you should still be able to read it on your device even if it's registered to your husband.

I've spent a lot of time with nook stuff so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always download books to my computer. And as said you can redownload your books to Nook PC.

Nook has a different kind of DRM from Kindle or even Sony & Kobo. It is not bound to the device, Adobe etc or limited to any amount of devices.

Instead it's based purely on your Name and CC# used to purchase the book. So even if your device is no longer registered under your name you can download them to your computer and then just copy them over to your Nook via USB. It will ask for your CC# if different from what's on the account your device is registered to and I think remember it for future books.

This actually makes it easy to share books between devices that aren't registered to the same account as long as you trust the person with your CC#.
Fenwick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that. I want a back up system for the books I buy so Nook for PC might be the answer. I saw it was available but wondered if I could then download to my nook.

I hate going through my husband when I buy books. It is a pain.
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download your books as many times you want and I think up to six devices (Nook, PC, phone etc) can be registered to any account at one time. If you want you can also copy the books you bought under your and his name to another file or external hard or flash drive for more backup.
Rosario

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fizz379 wrote:
While I am a supporter of DRM because I think its a great way to crack down on pirating, it's a shame that there is not standardization in format and with devices.

[.....]

For these reasons I am not philosophically opposed to stripping the DRMs from books that I buy, as long as I'm not sending copies to all my friends or putting it up on a torrent website. If I'm stripping the DRM just for my own personal use and so that I can buy from any publisher, read on any device, and organize my books into a library then I can sleep fine at night.

If you realise that stripping DRM is so easy when you know what you're doing, then how come you are a supporter of it? All you need is one person who's not as honest as you to strip it and then there's a copy on the torrent sites, and all bets are off. After that, all DRM does is make things difficult for the other 99.9% of readers.
Fenwick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: E Book and Kindle question Reply with quote

fizz379 wrote:
While I am a supporter of DRM because I think its a great way to crack down on pirating, it's a shame that there is not standardization in format and with devices.

[.....]

For these reasons I am not philosophically opposed to stripping the DRMs from books that I buy, as long as I'm not sending copies to all my friends or putting it up on a torrent website. If I'm stripping the DRM just for my own personal use and so that I can buy from any publisher, read on any device, and organize my books into a library then I can sleep fine at night.

If you realise that stripping DRM is so easy when you know what you're doing, then how come you are a supporter of it? All you need is one person who's not as honest as you to strip it and then there's a copy on the torrent sites, and all bets are off. After that, all DRM does is make things difficult for the other 99.9% of readers.

I have had my reader for 2 months. It is not the only way I will read books in the future. It gives the publisher too much control over my book finances. I like to control that myself. In many cases the price of the ebook is higher than buying the book locally!!! Why?

I am now using both Kindle and Nook. Why a $7.99 book at Nook is $.99 at kindle and a $7.99 at kindle is $1.99 at Nook (Chase Keeper series)

I do not want to end up with hundreds of e books I will never reread. That is very easy to do. (I bought 20 books in 2 months). I have put a break on my buying and gone back to the library.

Thank you for your advice, Fizz 379. I PM' d you with a question.
fizz379

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosario wrote:

I guess what I mean is I think the idea of DRM and the reasoning behind it is good because something really does need to be done to impede pirating, and I think it does work even if it is imperfect. I just wish there was standardization in the same way there is for music. Where you don't have to get locked into one publisher or device. If that was the case then DRM would not be nearly as bothersome and I wouldn't go to the effort of trying to figure out how to circumvent it.

The people who really want to pirate are always going to pirate, but I think that a lot of people have pirated in the past just because it was so easy to do and relatively consequence-free. DRM, along with tougher enforcement, prevents many of these people from pirating I would think.
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think reasonable pricing and policies do a much better job than DRM. Most people would rather buy something outright than pirate it, but inconvenience and expense and a feeling of getting ripped off (because you're only renting an ebook, not actually owning it) may make pirating more likely.

I'm not much of a book buyer, but I do try to buy from smaller publishers like Smashwords that have no DRM and good prices. Voting with my wallet, as it were.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fizz379"][I guess what I mean is I think the idea of DRM and the reasoning behind it is good because something really does need to be done to impede pirating, and I think it does work even if it is imperfect.quote]

No, I don't think it works. It's easy to strip the DRM off books and that's the first thing I do whenever I buy one. I have no intention of pirating my books but I want them to be usable on any device I purchase down the road. The pirating sites have everything, the books that once had DRM and even books that were never put out in ebook form. Those that are going to pirate will do so with or without DRM, it's the honest customers that DRM hurts.

Linda
fizz379

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see both of your points of view, but I see it as kind of defeatist to do nothing to limit pirating just because some people are so determined to do it.

If I was an author I would probably be in favor of it--I know some are not though. Ebooks are already priced very reasonably in my opinion, $8 for a new romance novel is pretty cheap and standard and only a fraction of that goes to the author which is likely the real reason that some authors offer their books drm free at lower prices independently--because they get a larger share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: