AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want control back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: I want control back Reply with quote

So who decided that washing machines were dangerous? Our new one has a lot of features on it that have taken the control away from us and given it to the machine. The lid locks as soon as the machine starts. Has anyone ever fallen into a washing machine, do you think? Who decided the lid should lock? And why? It can be unlocked for a few minutes, but, if left unlocked and up for 10 minutes, the machine decides to drain the water out. One cannot "soak" laundry with this machine.
The machine determines the temperature of the water, too. In order to make the water completely cold, I have to turn the water heater off. What possible effect do you think that feature is supposed to have? Is that supposed to save energy or something in some way? One cannot simply set the machine to "spin" for example, if one chooses. One has to choose to drain and spin or rinse and spin. And no matter what, once set to going on an option, interrupting means beginning all over again. In short, the machine is in control, not me.

In case you're wondering what machines to avoid when you purchase again, it's a Maytag. If you want to retain control of your laundering, don't buy one. Needless to say, I'm actively searching for an older machine

And, have you ever heard of someone tipping a gas range over? I haven't.
Yet, a new government regulation decrees that gas ranges must be attached either to the floor or the wall. To move the damn thing has become a far greater chore than it was ever meant to be...and it's damned difficult to level the oven. I mentioned that I would probably disattach it, at which the installer suggested that were, say, a repairman be called he might not work on it because it would be in violation of the decree and all kinds of liability would arise.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick I feel your pain, my husband somehow disabled ours so we can get in our washer when we want. Very Happy

Linda
desiderata

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, in another thread I am asking how to root the Nook Color. It sounds like you need directions on how to root your new washing machine. Razz

Doesn't it seem as if the mandated safety mechanisms just add bells and whistles that can malfunction and require more repairs? Everything has become so complicated.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, in order to get control back people have to bear the responsibility. That is why every pill bottle, appliance or anything that could possibly pose a danger has a safety device.

And yes sadly, people have fallen into washing machines, mostly kids who have drowned or sufficated. Same with dryers etc.

Manufacturers are so afraid of being sued they have safety features on everything (although some of the washing machine features sound more like water saving/energy efficient means.)

And I can virtually guarantee that someone has tipped a gas range over and probably sued the state for not having more stringent regulations.

When I was in law school and taking Torts I was astonished at the cases people would bring (and sometimes win) against manufacturers when they were clearly using items improperly or not at all how the manufacturers intended.

That is why you see the ridiculous disclaimers on items like don't drink bleach and saying a Superman cape will not allow you to fly.

Sadly people have done it.
JMM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a hair dryer - "Do Not Use While Asleep". Rolling Eyes
dick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Chris Reader: That someone, somewhere, let a child fall into a washing machine and drown doesn't seem sufficient reason to make all people, everywhere hassle with locked lids. (I've never read of one doing so, by the way; I'd be interested to know how many have, in fact fallen into washing machines, if there are such figures.) If manufacturers are convinced that locked lids are necessary for a few, they should also supply over-ride switches for the many for whom they are not.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Linda in sw Va: Can you tell me how he did it?
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick said
Quote:
@Chris Reader: That someone, somewhere, let a child fall into a washing machine and drown doesn't seem sufficient reason to make all people, everywhere hassle with locked lids. (I've never read of one doing so, by the way; I'd be interested to know how many have, in fact fallen into washing machines, if there are such figures.) If manufacturers are convinced that locked lids are necessary for a few, they should also supply over-ride switches for the many for whom they are not.

Well it's the same reasoning as child proof caps on medicine etc. Unless you specifically request not to have them when you place a prescription order that is what you will get regardless if you are a 90 year old person with arthritis who has no kids in your home.

I've actually heard of a lot of case over the years of kids getting caught in appliances, but then I've been exposed to a lot more tort cases etc. Someone actually did a study recently on the subject-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1731015/pdf/v009p00357.pdf

and if you google the subject you will definitely see a bunch of examples, some very recent.

It all comes down to balance between personal rights and what the public deems is the governments job to protect the general wellfare. It can be applied to almost anything, gun control, seatbelt laws, motorcycle helmets etc.

Have you read Freakonomics? It's pretty interesting. One argument it makes is that kids are statistically far safer visiting a house with a gun in it than a house with a swimming pool although many parents wouldn't feel that would be the case.

Good luck with the washer!
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interrupting or tampering with a washing machine's pre-set programs (and you can usually choose between a few) can damage the electronics, so you shouldn't do it. I don't know why one would want to mess with the program anyway. Just choose the right program, switch on the machine and let it do its thing.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
@Linda in sw Va: Can you tell me how he did it?

Dick, he's out of town but I"ll ask him. It's an older model, he removed the metal latch that would snap until place when he cycle started.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: