AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continuing Couples Across Multiple Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Continuing Couples Across Multiple Books Reply with quote

We have construction going on in my house, so I've been packing up a lot of my books to get them out of the way. As I looked through my books, I realized that while I have series fatigue in general, I do have a weakness for books with characters that get multi-book stories. I loved the Gardella vampire saga, and the Fergusson/Van Alstyne series from Julia Spencer-Fleming. And of course there's Eve and Roarke from the In Death series.

Do you all like couples with stories extending over multiple books? If so, whose stories should I be reading? I don't really NEED to grow my TBR pile, but I'd love to find more good ones. Thanks!
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider books in series that take multiple books to cover a couple's relationship to be genre romances, though the series as a whole can be called romance if it spends enough page time on the relationship and ends with a HEA.
With that caveat, here are a few series I have been reading in recent years:
Urban Fantasy:
Magic (Kate Daniels) series by Ilona Andrews
Connected Mercy Thompson & Alpha/Omega series by Patricia Briggs
Betsy/Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson
Connected series by Jeaniene Frost
Otherworld series by Yasmine Galenorn
Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
Several series by Katie MacAlister
Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow
Enchanted Inc. series by Shanna Swendson
Lupi series by Eileen Wilks
Steampunk/UF:
Soulless series by Gail Carriger
Science Fiction:
Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold
Parts of the Liaden Universe series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Hero series by Moira J. Moore
Cora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, Sookie does jump around between different love interests and not everybody liked her final HEA. The Vorkosigan series is more like a family saga. And Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series has a rather shocking moment in the middle.

In addition to those Mark already mentioned:
The Harper Connolly series by Charlaine Harris
The Jane Madison series by Mindy Klasky (she just self-published a new installment after several years of pause)
The Weather Wardens and Outcast Season series by Rachel Caine
The Black London series by Caitlin Kittredge (another one with a shocker ending in the middle)
The Nocturne City series, also by Caitlin Kittredge
The Allie Beckstrom series by Devon Monk
The Megan Chase series and the Ghost series by Stacia Kane
The Nightside series by Simon R. Green
The Werecats series by Rachel Vincent
The Jill Kismet series, also by Lilith Saintcrow
The Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn
The Maxine Kiss series by Marjorie M. Liu
The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
The Angel series by Nalini Singh
The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde
All of those are urban fantasy.

For SF, we have (in addition to those Mark already mentioned):
The Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green (lots of ongoing romances, not all of which end happily, there is a really depressing book in the middle and the main couple's HEA is weird)
The Siratha Jax series by Ann Aguirre
Part of the Company series by Kage Baker (immortal heroine keeps falling for the same man over and over with predictable results, plus some books focus on completely different characters)
The Skaith series by Leigh Brackett (great love story, no HEA)
The Ruby's Song series by Brenda Cooper

For epic fantasy/sword and sorcery, Simon Green has a great series about a husband and wife team of cops in a fantasy city, called the Hawk and Fisher series. There were six (I think) fairly short books, which have been collected into two omnibus collections, Swords of Haven and Guards of Haven. Green also wrote a prequel called Blue Moon Rising, which is a wonderful HEA fantasy romance in its own right. And yes, it's definitely a prequel, even though the characters go by different names (the events of the first book require them to go on the run and change their names). There is another book called Beyond the Blue Moon, which ties both series together, and apparently there is a new one coming out this fall called Once in a Blue Moon, which features an older hero and heroine and their grown children.
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I have no desire to read a series of books about the same couple. I guess this is one reason why I have never read Singh's Angel's series, even though I've read all of her Psy-Changling books. Never read any of the JD Robb books, either. I guess I want to read a couple's story and then move on to some other couple's story. Most of the time, I'm satisfied that they've found each other and are happy together and I have little need to see them again (other than perhaps a well placed cameo in another book).
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying the Lady Julia & Nicholas Brisbane romance from Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia mystery/romance series. I just finished the third in the series recently, Silent on the Moor and am still intrigued by their relationship and looking forward to reading more soon.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjack1 wrote:
I'm enjoying the Lady Julia & Nicholas Brisbane romance from Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia mystery/romance series. I just finished the third in the series recently, Silent on the Moor and am still intrigued by their relationship and looking forward to reading more soon.

Love Deanna Raybourn!

If you like this series, you should try Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series. Both of these series should be read in order.
dick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first three (?) of the Alexander series but baulked at the one about the murder in Venice. That Lady and Emily and her husband would travel to Venice to visit a friend Emily didn't really like to solve a mystery for her stretched the bounds of belief farther than I could reach. I put a bookmark in the book after the first couple of chapters and haven't picked the book up again.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader...
Quote:
"Love Deanna Raybourn!

If you like this series, you should try Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series. Both of these series should be read in order."

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely look into the Lady Emily series. I see that some of them are reviewed here and received very positive reviews.
chris booklover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader wrote:
Love Deanna Raybourn!

If you like this series, you should try Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series. Both of these series should be read in order.

I'm a great admirer of Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia series, but I can't say that I enjoyed Tasha Alexander's series. Compare, for instance, the depth and complexity of Brisbane's character with that of Colin Hargreaves, Lady Emily's husband. Similarly, the relationship between Brisbane and Julia is developed with great skill over the series. The one between Lady Emily and Colin - not so much. SPOILER Colin more or less declares his love immediately in the first novel and asks Emily to marry him. Given the similarities between the two series, the gap in quality between them is remarkable.

Last edited by chris booklover on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris booklover...
Quote:
"I'm a great admirer of Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia series, but I can't say that I enjoyed Tasha Alexander's series. Compare, for instance, the depth and complexity of Brisbane's character with that of Colin Hargreaves, Lady Emily's husband. Similarly, the relationship between Brisbane and Julia developed with great skill over the series."

Interesting! I can't speak at all to the Alexander series but I do agree with your assessment of Raybourn's development of Julia and Brisbane's relationship. The mysteries remain central to the stories I've read but the character development and romantic/sexual tension between Julia and Brisbane is quite gripping and compelling, even while frustratingly minimalistic at times. I'm looking forward to Dark Road to Darjeeling soon.
nblibgirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Continuing Couples Across Multiple Books Reply with quote

LynnS/AAR wrote:
the Fergusson/Van Alstyne series from Julia Spencer-Fleming. And of course there's Eve and Roarke from the In Death series.

I love both of these series and am looking forward to checking out others' suggestions. I thought I knew of lots of series to suggest and then realized they either don't really qualify (because although characters relationships continue to appear/develop they aren't really the focus of each book e.g. Sam and Alyssa in Brockmann's Troubleshooters) or I've lost interest (e.g. Stephanie Plum and Sookie - because the heroine can't seem to commit).

I do like Patricia Brigg's and Kelley Armstrong's shifter characters already mentioned . . . and Lauren Willig's contemporary couple Eloise and Colin in the Pink Carnation series cross her books (although others have pointed out elsewhere here at AAR that that relationship moves at a snail's pace - so maybe that doesn't count either?).
dick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mysteries in the Alexander series don't often contribute much to the books, functioning as sets to allow Lady Emily to exist rather than as integral parts of the story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: