AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What music do you like listening to while writing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM78

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: What music do you like listening to while writing Reply with quote

This question is for anyone who writes any type of fiction (and you don't have to be published.)

What music do you like to listen to while writing your fiction?

I like listening to The Doors while writing horror stories, and southern gothic stories.
I also like to listen to alot of older country songs (stuff from 50's,60's,70's) when writing southern gothic.
For stories that are more romance, it depends. I listen to alot of older music from the 60's and 70's. I listen to a variety of music for this type of fiction; disco, old country songs.
LucyBlueCastle

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Inspiration Music Reply with quote

One of the first things I do when I start a new project is make a playlist. I use a lot of soundtracks, both instrumental scores and compilations - it's a good cheat, a good starting point; find a movie you like that matches the tone and setting of what you're writing, and you'll probably find music that works. But I always mix that in with stuff of my own choosing.

You mentioned Southern gothic - there's a new band (or new to me, at least), the Civil Wars, who are very inspiring for that kind of story. I've been listening to them a lot lately. And they'd mesh nicely with the Doors, I think.
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Inspiration Music Reply with quote

LucyBlueCastle wrote:
One of the first things I do when I start a new project is make a playlist. I use a lot of soundtracks, both instrumental scores and compilations - it's a good cheat, a good starting point; find a movie you like that matches the tone and setting of what you're writing, and you'll probably find music that works. But I always mix that in with stuff of my own choosing.

You mentioned Southern gothic - there's a new band (or new to me, at least), the Civil Wars, who are very inspiring for that kind of story. I've been listening to them a lot lately. And they'd mesh nicely with the Doors, I think.

I love Civil Wars. Poison and Wine is such a gorgeous song. I just love it!
On another note...LucyBlueCastle...are you Lucy Blue the writer? And if so, what are you writing now?? Smile
(sorry about derailing the subject matter of the original post. Smile )
LucyBlueCastle

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Not to derail any further . . . Reply with quote

But yep, it's me - I was Lucy Blue, then last August I married a guy who writes under the name Max Castle, so now I'm Lucy Blue Castle. And yes, I've got a romance being shopped to publishers now. Thanks for asking! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: