AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Wedding: How ready are you?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Royal Wedding: How ready are you? Reply with quote

Well, I've set my DVR to record the big event on two channels. (Just in case I hate ABC's coverage I have NBC's to fall back on.) I have dusted off my recipe for cucumber sandwiches, double checked recipes for traditional shortbread cookies (or may splurge and buy), am ready to make the clotted cream and scones. May indulge in a glass of bubbly to celebrate.

So-anyone else watching?

maggie b.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably go back and forth between the wedding and the figure skating world championships (ladies' short program). I'm sure Kate will make a lovely bride and there will be many interesting guests, but I'm not going to sit through the whole thing and I'd rather see Yu-Na Kim than an endless service anyway Smile.

For anyone following the wedding, I really recommend Mad Hattery, which will doubtless have lots of coverage of cool hats and tiaras - as was the case for last summer's Swedish royal wedding.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that by the time the actual wedding date approached, I'd be more excited; but that's not the case. I'm interested in what she will wear and how she'll look in it and, of course, the ceremony (but not necessarily all of it). I recall when I first saw Princess Diana's gown those many years ago, I thought the dress looked terrible on her. She drowned in it and it was way too overdone. (Remember, this is my opinion.) Very Happy When I see clips now from that wedding and the gown, I have not changed my mind. In fact, it looks even worse comparing it to today's standards. Whatever were the designers thinking?

I hope everything works out well for this couple; they both appear very level-headed and practical. But this event will be over the top, just because of who they are. I'll probably have to rely on recaps thru the day, especially if my daughter stays true to her due date and delivers on the 29th. I think my focus may be elsewhere then.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee said
Quote:
I recall when I first saw Princess Diana's gown those many years ago, I thought the dress looked terrible on her. She drowned in it and it was way too overdone. (Remember, this is my opinion.) Very Happy When I see clips now from that wedding and the gown, I have not changed my mind. In fact, it looks even worse comparing it to today's standards. Whatever were the designers thinking?

I was just a kid at the time and thought the same thing. I never cared for Diana's clothes but I knew tons of people who loved her style and would buy books about it and keep scrapbooks.

I think we also have to keep in mind a few things- at the time her wedding dress had to be incredibly conservative, nothing showing, even arms, and that those ruffly poofs were the style then. (I wore some very ugly blouses back then.) She was also a teenager, which seems incredible looking back now. Her taste was more juvenile and poofy princessy. Wasn't she still reading Barbara Cartland novels? Her Mom had abandoned them years ago so unless her sisters helped I think she was kind of on her own. Kate Middleton is far older, more educated and sophisticated and she has had years to groom herself for this. Plus I think she has the help of a sophisticated mother and sister as well as 10 years in the tabloid spotlight. Diana was far less sophisticated and educated (didn't she go to a "finishing school" at 16 or something?)

I also think the Emmmanuels did a lousy job of structuring and cutting Diana's dress. It just clings to her with no boning, or support and a waistline of huge gathers looks good on no one. When you can use the exact same style for the tiny flower girls as the bride you know something is wrong (IMHO.)
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

I'll probably have to rely on recaps thru the day, especially if my daughter stays true to her due date and delivers on the 29th. I think my focus may be elsewhere then.

This is waaayyyy more exciting than a royal wedding! Congrats!

As far as Di's dress, it was the 80's. Many folks have pictures in clothes they sincerely hope no one ever sees them in again. Smile I still can't believe the whole leg warmer craze. How stupid was that???!!! And the blasted mall hair! Ack!

On a related note - have you ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"? I am always surprised about how some brides will want a dress that makes them look awful just because it's what they want. I saw one bride try on a dress that would only look good on a two or four. She was at least a 14. Her friends told her she looked bad, her family told her she looked bad, the sales girl hinted at it. There was another dress that made her look fab - everybody gasped when they saw it on her. She STILL went with that hideous mermaid gown. I think our dreams of what we will wear on our wedding day sometimes take over our common sense.

maggie b.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Tee, best wishes for a safe delivery and a healthy baby!

ChrisReader wrote:
I think we also have to keep in mind a few things- at the time her wedding dress had to be incredibly conservative, nothing showing, even arms, and that those ruffly poofs were the style then. (I wore some very ugly blouses back then.) She was also a teenager, which seems incredible looking back now. Her taste was more juvenile and poofy princessy. Wasn't she still reading Barbara Cartland novels? Her Mom had abandoned them years ago so unless her sisters helped I think she was kind of on her own. Kate Middleton is far older, more educated and sophisticated and she has had years to groom herself for this. Plus I think she has the help of a sophisticated mother and sister as well as 10 years in the tabloid spotlight. Diana was far less sophisticated and educated (didn't she go to a "finishing school" at 16 or something?)

Diana left school after taking her O-levels (whether she ever passed them I don't know) and went to finishing school. She lived in London for a while and was 20 when she married Charles (but 19 when they became engaged). Barbara Cartland was her step-grandmother, IIRC, but I don't think she can be blamed for the dress! It was just the time period, I guess - because there have been several royal weddings in Europe in the past decade, and I don't recall any poofy gowns from the brides (Princess Victoria's dress last year was gorgeous).

maggie b. wrote:
On a related note - have you ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"? I am always surprised about how some brides will want a dress that makes them look awful just because it's what they want. I saw one bride try on a dress that would only look good on a two or four. She was at least a 14. Her friends told her she looked bad, her family told her she looked bad, the sales girl hinted at it. There was another dress that made her look fab - everybody gasped when they saw it on her. She STILL went with that hideous mermaid gown. I think our dreams of what we will wear on our wedding day sometimes take over our common sense.

You know, a friend of mine found herself in the opposite situation. She found her dream dress online and actually flew to another country to buy it. She went in for the fitting and loved it. Then she decided to have a browse in some other bridal shops in the area, and found a different style dress that she liked even more! And the whole thing, travel costs included, was much cheaper than getting a dress where we live, so it worked out nicely.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie said
Quote:

Diana left school after taking her O-levels (whether she ever passed them I don't know) and went to finishing school....Barbara Cartland was her step-grandmother, IIRC, but I don't think she can be blamed for the dress! It was just the time period, I guess - because there have been several royal weddings in Europe in the past decade, and I don't recall any poofy gowns from the brides (Princess Victoria's dress last year was gorgeous).

Diana was 16 when she left school and had failed her O levels twice, she dropped out of finishing school soon after. I definitely don't think Barbara Cartland can be blamed for the dress but she did say once hers were the only books she thought Diana had read and they didn't serve her very well. My point was how young and relatively unsophisticated Diana was (as evidenced by her reading matter) and I think this showed in her choice of dress, compounded by the fact that poofy was starting to become the fashion, although she did a great deal to make it popular.

Styles have changed a lot and all the fashion and makeover shows of the past 10 years have really emphasized how important the right cut and fit is. Diana was the first modern, Royal fashion plate who matured under the relentless tabloid system that exists today. I think she got her first fashion "feedback" from the cutting remarks of the tabloid journalists on her wardrobe choices and her weight. I don't think stylists as we know them today existed then, celebrities or royals worked directly with the designers who were probably unlikely to go directly against their wishes. Diana's style became more streamlined as she matured and realized what looked good on her. I think Kate Middleton as a sophisticated 28 year old (with a model's height and figure) knows what works well on her and will likely choose a slimmer more sophisticated look.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie b said
Quote:

Maggie- I love this show and I know just the episode you mean! It's so disappointing when the bride can't see what everyone else does. I always hope they see the episode on TV and realize how much better the other look was. I really love seeing all the dresses and the personalities of the staff are great too (I want Randy to come and help dress me, Lol)

What really amazes me are not the super rich people who drop a ton of money on a dress but the average to somewhat poor people who are willing to drop 10k or over on a wedding dress! I always want to yell "put it towards a mortgage!"
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ maggie and Yulie: Thanks. This is our first granchild; we know it's a girl and are very excited. My daughter has had some issues with her pregnancy, but seems to be doing well enough with controlling them.

@ maggie, Yulie and Chris Reader: Re: Say Yes to the Dress--I absolutely love that program. And I know what you mean about some of the girls choosing a gown that definitely doesn't flatter their bodies. And Randy is a wonderful consultant.

Back to Diana's gown, it really didn't flatter her or her body. I understood poof at the time, but they took it to the extreme. And the tiara or crown on her head that weighed so much, half of the time it looked as though it were ready to fall right off her head. I read someplace years ago that there were bad vibes between the Queen and Diana from the get-go (even before the marriage) and that choices were made for her by the Royal family that always didn't do Diana justice. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But the gown was definitely not one of the good choices. She looked like a little girl playing dressup in a gown way too huge for her.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get 'My big fat gypsy wedding'? Because those dresses are truly poof to the ultimate. The dressmaker featured on the programme said that it's almost a point of honour for the bride to be left with scars from the weight of the dress.

Though I don't suppose Kate will wear anything that actually lights up. Sad

As for the wedding, yes, we're looking forward to it. I even splashed out £6 on the 'Kate and William: the Movie' dvd, because the trailers made it look pretty dreadful, so I thought we could watch that on the day as well. We'd been planning to watch 'The Prince and Me: 3' as a wonderfully awful film with a Royal Wedding theme, but 'Kate and William' might be even more fun.

We'll do sandwiches and things on cakestands and there was talk of refusing entry to anyone not wearing a hat. Maybe some sort of fruit punch, but it's just so early in the day...
Marilyn.K

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I join in with my opinion?

I'm looking forward to watching the wedding although I don't know which channel is my best bet. Thank goodness for the Record button. I missed watching Diana's wedding live because I refused to get up at that ungodly hour of the morning -- 1:00 am (California is eight hours behind England).

As for Diana's dress, this is the first time I've read anyone express exactly what I thought at the time -- it was too, too, too much. I had looked forward to seeing it so much, there was so much hype and speculation that when I saw it I just thought and felt, "Oh." Also, the designers put so much emphasis on the poof that they failed to consider the closed confines of the carriage she was riding in and consequently, the dress came out awfully crushed. Afterwards, I very much liked her style.

As has been said before, Kate is altogether another person. She's educated and more mature compared to Diana. Rather than a repeat of Charles and Diana or maybe because of it, both William and Kate strike me as having their act very much more put together.

I wish them both all happiness.
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to watch the BBC's coverage on BBC America.

I was living in England during Charles & Diana's wedding and when William and Harry were born.
merryweather

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to tape it--coverage starts around 1am here on the West coast and I think the actual wedding is at 3am? So definitely going to DVR it. I'm going with ABC and TLC--I saw that Randy from Say Yes to the Dress and Clinton Kelly from What not to Wear are going to be the commentators for that channel and I love them both!

At the time I actually liked Diana's wedding gown--I was 14 and was into the pouffy and princessy look. Very of the time period. My own wedding dress has those gianormous sleeves--and that was 1990, so that look stuck around for a loooong time. I'm sure Kate will be much sleeker--I can't wait to hear what Randy has to say about it. Wink
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Claire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time I wasn't interested in seeing the wedding but as it gets closer I'm looking forward to it. It's the whole princess fairytale thing. It sucks me right in.

I remember setting my alarm clock for 4am for Princess Di when I was in high school and then it seemed to take forever until the actual wedding took place. Does anyone know the time of this ceremony? I think I'll watch the Today show as I watch that most mornings anyway. I think they are having one of the flower girls from Di's wedding as a commentator. I might wear a plastic tiara my kids gave me for my birthday one year in celebration. Is it appropriate with pajamas? Razz Also, I'm wondering what I should have for breakfast during the ceremony. Are Lady Fingers considered a delicacy in England like they are in my house? Wink
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merryweather wrote:
I'm going to tape it--coverage starts around 1am here on the West coast and I think the actual wedding is at 3am? So definitely going to DVR it. I'm going with ABC and TLC--I saw that Randy from Say Yes to the Dress and Clinton Kelly from What not to Wear are going to be the commentators for that channel and I love them both!

At the time I actually liked Diana's wedding gown--I was 14 and was into the pouffy and princessy look. Very of the time period. My own wedding dress has those gianormous sleeves--and that was 1990, so that look stuck around for a loooong time. I'm sure Kate will be much sleeker--I can't wait to hear what Randy has to say about it. Wink

I wore pouffy for my prom in the late 80.s. The dress color and style looked awful on me but I was determined to have a prom bomb. Now I can't stand to look at my mistake in pictures. Thank God for my homecoming dresses -- much better - sleek tops, no fluffy sleeves. And for my wedding in the 90's I went Vera Wang style - sleek, fitted, no embellishments except a couple roses at the waist. I think Kate will go sleek also - she seems to prefer that style and it looks sooooo good on her.

I may change to TLC for one of my DVR's I like Randy too.

maggie b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: