AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1920s romances?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenniferdar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: 1920s romances? Reply with quote

I know this isn't a typical time period, but I was wondering if anybody has come across good romance novels set in the 1920s?

Thanks!
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not strictly romance, but you might take a look at some of the early Agatha Christies because they often include a romantic subplot. They are very light. Also, slightly out of the period, you could do worse than look at Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey detective series. Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon are the titles that cover Lord Peter's relationship, romance and eventual marriage to Harriet Vane. They are set in the 1930's. Obviously don't bother if you don't enjoy murder mysteries. There is also Thrones, Dominations which deals with the early, but post honeymoon, part of Peter and Harriet's marriage. Sayers left it incomplete and it was finished off by Jill Paton Walsh. I enjoyed it, but I know some did not.

I'm struggling to think of much actual historical romance set in that period. (I can think of straight historical fiction.) It's a bit like antiques; unless there is that 100 years old certification, it's not genuine historical romance maybe! Wink Someone asked me about ten years ago why Edwardian set romances weren't in demand and all I could think was that maybe it was too much like Granny's britches and most authors (and possibly readers) didn't want to go anywhere near the thought of their grandmothers actually having sex. Interestingly, since then Amanda Quick and Laura Lee Gurkhe have started to set romances in the very late Victorian era, so I'm sure it will happen. You may just have to wait thirty years until we can cope with the idea of our grandparents having a sex life. Shocked

Elizabeth
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think of a single recent one. I do recommend Eva Ibbotson's old-fashioned romances, particularly Magic Flutes, and Ellen DIKed Jacqueline Winspears' first book in the Maisie Dobbs mystery series: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=8322

Otherwise, you might want to have a look at our Special Titles Listing, under special settings:

http://www.likesbooks.com/set.html

Good luck.
Terese

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Eva Ibbottson rec. Some of the corny Barbara Cartland library were reissues of books written in the era. If you can find the originals it's worth it.[url] Elinor Glyn [/url]and E. M. Hull were popular (and slightly scandalous) authors of the time. I really enjoyed His Hour by Glyn. EM Hull wrote that old calssic the Sheik. If you have an e-reader or can read on a laptop or PC some are available for free from the Gutenberg project

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search.html/?default_prefix=author_id&sort_order=downloads&query=1762
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhapsody in Time by Judith O'Brien is a time travel that takes place in the 20's. Amazon has used copies

Intimate Strangers by Alexandra Thorne is another time travel from that period.

The Sensation by Rebecca Flanders is an American Historical Romance from this period.

Romantic-ish are Vixen by Jillian Larkin. It is being sold as YA but really isn't and Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen. The Godbersen books do not read young, imo.

There are some in Christian Fiction if you read that.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortal Sins and the sequel Wages Of Sin by Penelope Williamson. Mostly a mystery set in 1925 (?) New Orleans. Dark mystery with a romance within the story. Same hero and heroine in both books. Very well done.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorothy Garlock definitely has some set in the 1920's but hers tend to be set in poorer rural areas so if you are looking for more flappers and nightlife and Gatsby-esque books these won't fill the bill.
Minerva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in reading more novels set in this time period.

One romance that I enjoyed was The Last Rake in London by Nicola Cornick. It is a Harlequin Historical. It is set in a nightclub in London in the 1920s.

Another Harlequin Historical - On the Wings of Love by Elizabeth Lane. It is set in the US and features early air flight.
Aimee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple mysteries are set in the 1920s. There's a bit of a romance btw Daisy and her detective in the mysteries. Both the mysteries and the romances are light, fun reads.
PWNN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read it yet but there's new HQ novella Amanda McCabe: Girl in the Beaded Mask

England, 1922

David Carlisle believes no woman would want to marry the broken and isolated man who has returned from the trenches of France. Especially vivacious Lady Louise Hatton, better known as Lulu—the one woman who makes his heart begin to thaw with her bright smile.

What David doesn't realize is that Lulu has been fantasizing about him her whole life. And at a scandalous masked ball, she's determined to show David just how badly she wants him....

Also (with a few in the 20's):

Historical: England - (1910 . .) House of Windsor
http://historicalromancewriters.com/timeperiods.cfm?genreID=219

Historical: American - (1900-1930) Early American
http://historicalromancewriters.com/timeperiods.cfm?genreID=2
Jill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: 1920s romances? Reply with quote

One of the best I've read is Jazz Baby by Lorelie Brown.
Set in the 1920's Prohibition era the H is a federal Prohibition agent and the h is an owner of an illegal 'speakeasy'.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Duh. Laurie R. King's Mary Russell mystery series. Highly, highly recommended.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Home by Morning Alexis Harrington
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emilie Loring began writing in the 1920s, so her books were contemporaries then. I read them in the 1960s and found them wonderfully entertaining. One of the reasons that I love the work of Jayne Ann Krentz is that various aspects [contemporary styles, customs and popular culture as well as telling the story from both the heroine and hero's points of view] of JAK'S writing remind me of that of Emilie Loring. I found most of her books at the library.

Kay
Rosario

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read one by Fayrene Preston, The Swansea Destiny, that was set in the late 20s. The setting was fun, but the romance itself wasn't great. I have a review of it on my blog, if you're interested:
http://rosario.blogspot.com/2005/06/swansea-destiny-by-fayrene-preston.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: