AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lymond Chronicles
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theresa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: The Lymond Chronicles Reply with quote

So I finally bit the bullet and started reading 'The Game of Kings',(after a few starts) but am finding it a tough slog. Confused

The references of songs, poetry, the different languages, etc. are making it quite hard to understand, (I speak French & German and a smattering of Spanish). If I don't read it for a couple of days, the myriad of characters are forgotten to me.

Question is, do I keep on with the series, does it get better? (a reviewer on Amazon said it all came together in the last 20 pages of book 6!!!)

Any suggestions will be of great help.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lymond Chronicles Reply with quote

Question is, do I keep on with the series, does it get better?

My answer would be Yes. I found Game Of Kings very convoluted and hard to understand, and I have tackled some difficult literature in my reading and have enjoyed it. Game Of Kings...not so much. Good news though, Queen's Play is a much better read. It's worth it to slog through GoK just to understand QP. I've read through book 4 and am saving 5 and 6 for my cabin reading. I need quiet to enjoy them. Good luck. Just know...they aren't everyone's cup of tea and that's okay too.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, keep reading. I picked up and put down The Game of Kings about 5 times before finally getting through it. Queen's Play reads more smoothly. You have to get into the right rhythm and mood to enjoy Dunnett's word play. I read the whole set over a vacation period one year and it was one of those things that I was glad I had done, afterwards. I'm keeping the set for a re-read some years down the line because I don't think I even brushed the surface (or understood half) of what Dunnett was trying to convey with Lymond during this first go-around.

-Gail
Beth W

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading the last book (Checkmate) last week. I agree with everyone else - I had a hard time with the first book, and actually had to read it twice, but it got easier. I don't know if I just got used to Dunnett's style or if it really got easier. I did read all 6 in a row - it got a little long but I knew if I put it down and came back to them I would've forgotten a lot of stuff.
msaggie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lymond Chronicles Reply with quote

Theresa wrote:
So I finally bit the bullet and started reading 'The Game of Kings',(after a few starts) but am finding it a tough slog. Confused

The references of songs, poetry, the different languages, etc. are making it quite hard to understand, (I speak French & German and a smattering of Spanish). If I don't read it for a couple of days, the myriad of characters are forgotten to me.

Question is, do I keep on with the series, does it get better? (a reviewer on Amazon said it all came together in the last 20 pages of book 6!!!)

Any suggestions will be of great help.
It definitely gets better and everything comes together in Checkmate. It also is definitely a book for those who are into epic romance, and history and references to poetry and songs in other languages besides English! There is The Dorothy Dunnett's Companion written by Elspeth Morrison which is a comprehensive guide to all the various references - I read it after I finished the Lymond Chronicles - but maybe it's good to have by your side as you are reading it?
anu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stop! You will so miss out. Use the Dunnett companion, it really helped me. But you know, the first book is the hardest, then you fall into the rhythm of the writing and the story.

After Lymond, I read House of Niccolo with the help of one of the gazillion Dunnett Yahoo listservs, and I think I got more out of it because of the supportive and interested community of posters. 'Course it might be that I just like HoN more (but only by the slimmest margins).

I almost envy you reading Dunnett for the first time. I read both LC and HoN in an exhausting three weeks, where I did little but live those books. I've never been as obsessed. I've had a copy of King Hereafter for 5 years, and I still can't bring myself to read it because it's my last Dunnett.
Estelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto with the others : Don't stop!

I'm in the minority here but I found Games of King not an easy read per se but I had absolutely not trouble finishing it once I'd gotten used to Dunnett's style after a few pages. The one I had to slog through was Queen's Play.

After that, it was just a marvellous journey to the end of Checkmate.
Tracy Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked "Game of Kings" from the beginning but I was about half wya through before I hit the can't-put-this-book-down phase. Which then lasted through the rest of the series (which I too devoured in a couple of weeks, leaving and breathing the series). Do keep reading. It's well worth it.

Cheers,
Tracy
http://www.tracygrant.org
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Lymond Chronicles Reply with quote

Like everyone else said, if you can keep going! :)

My experience was - I tried GOK and had the exact same issue, so I put down for a year actually. Then after encouragement from friends I decided to give it another shot. I was so glad I did! The next time around I knew what to expect going in and I completely fell in love with the series. Game of Kings ended being my favorite in the series, followed by Checkmate. There is something about beginnings and endings. :)

I confess I also had help the second time (though I didn't get this one until Queen's Play) by a Lymond Companion that a fan had made up, this is before an official set was made up. See, Lymond likes to spout all these poems and lyrics not only in English (written and spelled true to it's time) but he quotes them in all sorts of other languages as well. And he's such a smart ass! *G* The companion would give translations of these - some he'd only given us the first few lines and the rest of the meaning was hidden in the arts we never see. So, I found this really fun to go back through GOK and see what the HELL Lymond was talking about at times, lol.

As others have said, it gets easier. Either the author takes it easy on us starting with Queen's Play or as a reader I simply got used to her style. The books are brilliant, I hope you will stick with them! I know I personally was intimidated at first but I got over that. It's well worth it and with Lymond you will discover one of the best heroes ever written and while you'll want to shake him silly a few times along the way you'll be rooting for his HEA at the end of it all. Yes, the story wraps up at the end of the series but you'll have a much easier time long long before that and you'll be happy you stuck with it.

Linda
ps - You're welcome to post any questions you may have and I'm sure any of us that has read them would be happy to help you. Many times as I was reading these I"d just have to have something to talk over with friends of mine that had read them, it was a big help and also made it more fun.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu wrote:
Don't stop! You will so miss out. Use the Dunnett companion, it really helped me. But you know, the first book is the hardest, then you fall into the rhythm of the writing and the story.

After Lymond, I read House of Niccolo with the help of one of the gazillion Dunnett Yahoo listservs, and I think I got more out of it because of the supportive and interested community of posters. 'Course it might be that I just like HoN more (but only by the slimmest margins).

I almost envy you reading Dunnett for the first time. I read both LC and HoN in an exhausting three weeks, where I did little but live those books. I've never been as obsessed. I've had a copy of King Hereafter for 5 years, and I still can't bring myself to read it because it's my last Dunnett.

Hi anu,

During my Lymond obsession phase I remember looking up info and finding out that Lymond was peripherally related to the House of Niccolo? true?

-Gail
Theresa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
During my Lymond obsession phase I remember looking up info and finding out that Lymond was peripherally related to the House of Niccolo? true?

Thank you all for your replies. (on a Sunday night no less) As a matter of fact, I'm almost finished GoK and am enjoying the ending.

I'll probably be committed to this series for quite a while, along with HoN(sigh) Rolling Eyes

Re: the above quote, someone posted this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_de_Fleury_and_Francis_Crawford_of_Lymond_-_Family_Tree

P.D. East
anu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:

HoN is related, but set well before LC, I think HoN ends 40 years before LC begins. Don't read Niccolo looking for connections between the two, although the ties between them became clearer in the last 2 or 3 books (out of 8), and also in retrospect.

It's a pleasure to find those connections, and once I actually re-read both series (I've only them the one time), I am sure it will be a richer experience for it. But HoN is really almost a completely different animal from LC. And while I love Lymond, I adore Niccolo in a completely unhealthy way, both the character and the series:)
Rowena

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And while I love Lymond, I adore Niccolo in a completely unhealthy way, both the character and the series:)

Oh I agree with your Niccolo comment. I really enjoyed the Lymond Chronicles. I found Lymond great to read about, Gabriel absolutely fascinating, and adored Philippa and Kate. However I found Niccolo as a character much more interesting than Lymond. Even when he was being an absolute bastard I still wanted everything to work out OK for him whereas for Lymond, I wanted things to work out well for people around him.
One aspect of Dunnett's writing I really enjoy is the depth of her characters. The 'villians' are much more than most fiction 'villians' so the passion I can put into my dislike of them is just so much more than most books and it just makes reading more enjoyable.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu and Rowena: Thanks for the feedback about Niccolo. I, too, kinda just stood back and admired Lymond for his sheer outlandishness so who knows, perhaps Niccolo could be my next book-crush. Wink Now if only I could just carve out oh, about 2 weeks of uninterrupted precious reading time....

-Gail
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gathered on the Yahoo Group dedicated to Dunnett, there are Lymond people and then there are Niccolo people. Most often a reader likes one more than the other. There's a theory going around that a reader will tend to prefer whichever Dunnett series she reads first.

I'm a Lymond girl myself. I liked the HN series a lot, but it did not grab me as the Lymond Chronicles did. Although, when you think about it, Lymond is actually a Male!Mary Sue to end all Mary Sues. This guy can do *everything*. It's not always easy but, you name it, he does it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: