AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi I'm new - looking for a hero who is 'a bit of rough'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
autumn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Hi I'm new - looking for a hero who is 'a bit of rough' Reply with quote

Hi, I'm pretty much completely new to romance books, having read my first ever this year but I'm really enjoying all the discussions on these boards.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a certain type of hero? Can anyone recommend any books where the hero is a working man, e.g. a stable boy or footman etc. Someone who works with his hands is good and Victorian times would be ideal. If he's had a really tough life and is pretty messed up then that's great too! I am pretty much put off by anyone who is described as 'the greatest lover of all time' and would definitely rather someone who can give the heroine a good straightforward seeing to rather than taking her through all the positions in the karma sutra!

So far Kresley Cole's Ethan MacCarrick is my perfect hero (very tough and very messed up), so anyone like him would be great!

Oh, and at least Warm, preferably Hot on the sensuality scale!

Thanks in advance for any help Very Happy Very Happy
merryweather

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Autumn--welcome!

One that came to mind is the Leopard Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt--here's a description:

Quote:
THE ONE THING A LADY MUST NEVER DO
Wealthy Lady Georgina Maitland doesn't want a husband, though she could use a good steward to run her estates. One look at Harry Pye, and Georgina knows she's not just dealing with a servant, but a man.

IS FALL IN LOVE...

Harry has known many aristocrats—including one particular nobleman who is his sworn enemy. But Harry has never met a beautiful lady so independent, uninhibited, and eager to be in his arms.

WITH HER SERVANT.

Still, it's impossible to conduct a discreet liaison when poisoned sheep, murdered villagers, and an enraged magistrate have the county in an uproar. The locals blame Harry for everything. Soon it's all Georgina can do to keep her head above water and Harry's out of the noose...without missing another night of love.

Harry is not really "messed up"--but he fits a lot of your other descriptors. And Hoyt writes very spicy love scenes, so that's always fun. Wink It's a fun book--it's in the middle of a series but I don't think it will be a problem with plot at all.

Enjoy!
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved "Conor's Way" by Laura Lee Guhrke. Conor is an Irish prize fighter, beaten nearly to death in the beginning of the book. He is taken care of by the heroine who also takes care of one or two orphans, if I remember correctly. You can really hear the Irish cadence in Conor's speech. There's a great villain and Conor solves the problem (he's the hero, after all) in a unique way. Loved this book.

Judith Ivory's "The Proposition" has the most unusual (and one of the greatest, believe me!) heroes: a rat catcher. He carries his ferret around with him, again, if I remember correctly, to help him catch rats. It's kind of a pygmalion story. Very smart man with an upper class heroine.

Oddly enough, given your preferences, you might like paranormal romances. After all, you like Ward. I loved, loved, loved "Pride Mates" by Jennifer Ashley. Again, an Irish hero (I guess genes will tell, I'm of Irish descent) who appears to be a bartender in a "shifter" town. Shifters are were-animals, tightly controlled by our government. I also loved Patricia Briggs' series about werewolves, starting with her selection in the anthology of "On the Prowl." The heroine was involuntarily "turned" and the hero, (and what a great one he is, too) is an assassin who eliminates members who endanger the pack. There are a couple of other books in the series which are both romantic and very exciting.

If you like erotic novels, you may like the beauty and beast tale by LIsa Marie Rice, "Midnight Angel." It's about a body guard who adores music and art, but he looks like " a thug" and is so ugly that women regularly cannot look at him. He falls in love with a singer who has been blinded by a psychopath. Great book. Her most popular book, extremely erotic, is "Midnight Man." If you go to Ellora's Cave, you can read excerpts, as you probably can for the other books at their authors' web sites.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin Heat by Ava Gray has a working class hero who is pretty messed up.

Also, Haunting Warrior by Erin Quinn.

Both are paranormals.

maggie b.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first suggestion would have been The Proposition, even though I'm not a huge fan. Seeing as how someone's already suggested it, I'll add two more:

* No True Gentleman by Liz Carlyle. Max de Rohan was originally a police inspector, eventually becoming a home office investigator. It's set in the 1820s but otherwise might work.

* The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly - it's somewhere between historical fiction and historical romance. Sid Malone works, all right: in the underworld. He comes from a working class background and has been through some awful things - messed up would be an understatement. The novel takes place in the first decade of the 20th century; the (upper class) heroine is a doctor. Warning, though - there's a plot twist about two thirds of the way in that some people really hated, but the book worked for me. I think Donnelly is wonderful.
bijoux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I loved "Conor's Way" by Laura Lee Guhrke. Conor is an Irish prize fighter, beaten nearly to death in the beginning of the book. He is taken care of by the heroine who also takes care of one or two orphans, if I remember correctly. You can really hear the Irish cadence in Conor's speech. There's a great villain and Conor solves the problem (he's the hero, after all) in a unique way. Loved this book.

Three, actually. The hero's relationship with the girls is great.
autumn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Merryweather, Lynda, Maggie, Yulie and Bijoux for taking the time to answer. Lots of these suggestions sound great and I'll definitely be ordering them. Although Coner's Way sounds perfect in every way unfortunately its very pricey so I probably won't be reading it unless I happen to stumble across a copy somewhere!

Sorry, I should've said I'm not so sure about paranormals, the idea doesn't grab me, but you never know I'll probably give one of them a go and find out I'm hooked Surprised

I've got so many books to buy now I might have to re mortgage!
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Lisa Kleypas's Again the Magic count? He's not an aristocrat at all. He was a stable boy and footman, then went off and found his fortune. Lisa Kleypas's Someone to Watch Over Me. He was a Bow Street Runner, if memory serves, as it's been a while since I've read the book again.
autumn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
He's not an aristocrat at all. He was a stable boy and footman
Whoah bookmark, that's two boxes ticked already! Thanks for that, it sounds perfect.

I think quite a few of Lisa Kleypas's books would fit the bill, the only one I've read so far is Worth Any Price which was ok, but I found Nick Gentry a bit too kinky and pleased with himself for my taste with his tantric lovemaking Laughing yuk!
bijoux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Nick was off putting. Not so much because of the kink factor, but the fact that he was so calculated and manipulative regarding sex.

The hero of Someone to Watch Over Me is much more appealing in this regard.
Claire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one that might fit what you are looking for also by Lisa Kleypas and my personal favorite is Dreaming of You. He is described as born in gutter and raised by prostitutes.. he works his way up to owning a gambling hall and he's rich but he never forgets where he came from. When he gets hurt or is emotional, his cockney accent comes out.
autumn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
Yeah, Nick was off putting. Not so much because of the kink factor, but the fact that he was so calculated and manipulative regarding sex.

I'm glad it wasn't just me Bijoux. Something that made me snigger a little bit about Nick was that he is 'reputed to be the most skillful lover in all England' and yet as he has only ever slept with the prostitute who taught him all these 'skills', surely its only him who could've spread this reputation around! Wink

Thanks Claire, looks like Lisa Kleypas is the way to go, I'll get ordering and report back, although as I've got Outlander due to arrive any day now I may be some time!
merryweather

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

autumn wrote:
I'll get ordering and report back, although as I've got Outlander due to arrive any day now I may be some time!

One you meet Jamie it's all over. Wink

I've been working my way through the Outlander series this past year or so--I read one, take a breather for a while, then go on to the next. And I'm dreading coming to the end of Echo in the Bone and having to wait for the next like everyone else--trying to make the books last as long as possible.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Eye by Karen Robards comes to mind. Hero rules the London underground.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merryweather wrote:
One you meet Jamie it's all over. Wink

Yep!

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: