AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Idol 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Well, that totally sucked! Pia did not deserve to go home. But that's the way it goes.

Yes, it is too bad. I thought Stefano would be the one to leave...or Jacob. I think it is very hard this season to predict who will leave. All 3 judges love everyone and really give no criticism to speak of. I wonder how many voters were really influenced by Simon's remarks?
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I wonder how many voters were really influenced by Simon's remarks?

I think he was a huge influence. He sort of put everyone into perspective as far as whether a person had or didn't have the ability to adapt to being the Amer Idol and make it out there in the music world. For those who Simon felt couldn't do it, he said it. I do not like the judges this year at all. For all intents and purposes, they may as well not be there considering the kinds of remarks they make. The statements are so predictable and not always true.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tee"[ For all intents and purposes, they may as well not be there considering the kinds of remarks they make. The statements are so predictable and not always true.[/quote]

I agree, and I've wondered if that is the point. It seems as if they are leaving the deciding to the voting public. Jennifer and Steven seem to have 3 or 4 stock remarks that they go to and all those remarks are favorable to the extreme. Randy, from time to time doesn't love everything he sees but when he expresses anything that is not glowing he is booed. I just wonder if we are seeing the last few seasons of AI.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a little more critical context from the judges this year, it's true, but a loss like that of Pia happens every year on AI. Remember Jennifer Hudson? Tamyra Gray? I don't think it's any shock that it is a woman singer who went home last night... and I say 'woman' advisedly.

I suspect that the bulk of those voting are the 13 - 19 year old girls, and they will vote first for guys, and then for girls they can relate to, ie Lauren (who I like... think she has a phenomenal voice and great presence for one so young) But that leaves the 'older' women without a voter fanbase. It happens every year, Simon or no Simon.

I was surprised Crystal Bowersox got so far last year... and she should have won, if it was purely a talent contest.

IMHO, Jennifer and Steven are afraid of offending their fans by being too critical, and that's the trouble, I suppose, with having 'stars' as judges. They have a career to think of, and don't want to start a flamewar.

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, all of your points are difficult to disagree with, so I won't. Laughing That's it in a nutshell.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
I could use a little more critical context from the judges this year, it's true, but a loss like that of Pia happens every year on AI. Remember Jennifer Hudson? Tamyra Gray? I don't think it's any shock that it is a woman singer who went home last night... and I say 'woman' advisedly.

I suspect that the bulk of those voting are the 13 - 19 year old girls, and they will vote first for guys, and then for girls they can relate to, ie Lauren (who I like... think she has a phenomenal voice and great presence for one so young) But that leaves the 'older' women without a voter fanbase. It happens every year, Simon or no Simon.

I was surprised Crystal Bowersox got so far last year... and she should have won, if it was purely a talent contest.

IMHO, Jennifer and Steven are afraid of offending their fans by being too critical, and that's the trouble, I suppose, with having 'stars' as judges. They have a career to think of, and don't want to start a flamewar.

Yes, it happens every year. I remember when Chris Daughty was voted off and I was shocked. Well, he was my favorite, so I was disappointed. And to be truthful...I can't remember when Jennifer Hudson was voted off. She really came through on her own. And perhaps if she won she wouldn't have been able to do the acting. I wonder. As for Pia, she wasn't my favorite. I get tired of the women that scream instead of sing, but I think she had promise and was much better than Stefano or Jacob.
I hadn't really thought of Jennifer and Steven offending their fans. Steven already has a fan base and Jennifer Lopaz has not really been doing much lately excpet being a wife and mother...nothing wrong with that, but very little music or acting roles. I at first liked the 2 of them, but now I find it tiresome. Still..I will watch. I am a Paul and James fan, and I still like the women (girls) in the group.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: idol Reply with quote

I felt sorry for James because of the way the light was shining from behind and making his ears look bright red when he sang My Guitar Gently Weeps. I have missed hearing criticism from the judges but I'm enjoying the humor. Steve Tyler cracks me up. I remember Arrowsmith playing at my high school a long time ago. I thought Casey played it a little safe this week and hope he comes up with something cool next week. I agree with Xina's comment about wanting to be sung to and not yelled at. My favorite is Scotty but I really enjoy James too.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: idol Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
I thought Casey played it a little safe this week and hope he comes up with something cool next week.

Totally disagree. What he sang was not safe. But he did a great job with it, along with his bass. I thought he risked a lot with the selection, but it was wonderful; and only a singer of his caliber could pull that one off with all the extras he put into it. To me, it was beautifully done.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as though Pia has been signed for a recording deal. Good for her.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/04/american-idols-pia-toscano-reportedly-signs-record-deal-album-being-rushed.html
Kayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: idol Reply with quote

Casey's performance was my favorite for this week. "the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" Nat King Cole song
Tee

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First it was Casey, then James. I'm done with watching the rest of Idol's season this year. Not that the remaining people are terrible--not at all. They're really just not the best of the crop. I think the little girls who are star struck with Scotty will win this one this year. Confused
xina

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
First it was Casey, then James. I'm done with watching the rest of Idol's season this year. Not that the remaining people are terrible--not at all. They're really just not the best of the crop. I think the little girls who are star struck with Scotty will win this one this year. Confused

I've lost interest too. With James gone it will be very predictable. I know that scotty has a good voice, even though I am not a country fan, but his looks in the camera feel creepy to me now and his dance moves , or whatever they are, are very odd. I also didn't like the way he kissed his cross after his time with Lady Gaga. Very calculated move to make the group that would love this vote for him. To me, it was just plain silly. You want to get it the music business Scotty, not join a church choir for a living. Geesh. Ridiculous.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I know that scotty has a good voice....

Scotty does have a good voice and a seemingly neat personality to go with it, but there's something missing there for Idol material. Country music is very limiting. Lauren has a fantastic voice, but again in a limiting genre. Something about Haley that bugs me. I think if I saw her perform live while spending the evening out dining with friends, I would probably love her. Overall, I'm not sure how her recordings would go over, though. But it doesn't matter to me now; I'm really done with this season. Let whoever wins, win. I wouldn't be waiting to listen to their first record anyway.

Did you happen to catch Jordan Sparks on Thursday night? She looked absolutely fantastic, but the song she sung had three words, sung over and over--"I am woman." What a waste of talent. And what about Adam Lambert? I really thought he would KA after the show ended last year. I've yet to really hear something from him that I like. Even David Cook--he's so capable, but I'm not hearing good stuff from him either.
xina

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Scotty does have a good voice and a seemingly neat personality to go with it, but there's something missing there for Idol material. Country music is very limiting. Lauren has a fantastic voice, but again in a limiting genre. Something about Haley that bugs me. I think if I saw her perform live while spending the evening out dining with friends, I would probably love her. Overall, I'm not sure how her recordings would go over, though. But it doesn't matter to me now; I'm really done with this season. Let whoever wins, win. I wouldn't be waiting to listen to their first record anyway.

Did you happen to catch Jordan Sparks on Thursday night? She looked absolutely fantastic, but the song she sung had three words, sung over and over--"I am woman." What a waste of talent. And what about Adam Lambert? I really thought he would KA after the show ended last year. I've yet to really hear something from him that I like. Even David Cook--he's so capable, but I'm not hearing good stuff from him either.

I'm not impressed with Scotty, although I think he will be the winner. Hailey is okay and so is Lauren, but that's just it. They are both just ok. Scotty seems to have a voice that doesn't fit his personality or looks.
I did see Jordan Sparks on Thurs. It seemed like she was lyp-syncing the whole sorry song. But Jennifer Lopaz did the same thing and she is a judge. I don't know why they encourage people to do that on a singing talent show.
And I do think that most of the "winners" seem to fade away into the woodwork. Kelly Clarkson did well in the beginning, and Carey Underwood is still popular...but the others? Eh...not so much. I love David Cook and I just don't think he is visible enough. And yet Chris Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson are very popular...not winners, but still winning.
I guess I'll watch just because there is nothing else on TV, but if I find something else to do, I won't be rushing home to watch. Very disappointing. I've also been disappointed in the judges. Too mamby-pamby...too much gushing. I might just be "over it". Moving on......
Tee

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I've also been disappointed in the judges. Too mamby-pamby...too much gushing. I might just be "over it". Moving on......

For sure. Steven Tyler is so afraid of saying something negative, even though it would be a positive for the singer because they need to hear these things. It doesn't need to be said nastily, but sometimes it does need to be said. Jennifer Lopez is Paula Abdul in disguise, I'm convinced. It must be hard to be critical, but why else are they there, if not to indicate the good, as well as the bad. And, Randy, needs to leave--big time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: