AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: More Movies Reply with quote

I seem to be the one who goes to the movies most often, or maybe I'm just the one who posts about them the most.

Last weekend saw two movies:

"Nora's Will" (5 Dias sin Nora) -- this is a Mexican movie about family, religion, life and death. It's very funny sometimes but at others it's quite serious. The Nora of the title has committed suicide, which causes problems for her family when they try to have her buried in the Jewish cemetery. Her ex-husband resents what he sees as her attempt to control them all, even beyond the grave. And it seems that Nora had kept secrets from them all. I liked it, and the friend who saw it with me loved it. The family clearly loved each other, yet that didn't stop them from driving each other crazy at times. It has a sweet ending.

"Hideaway" (Le Refuge) -- a French film with a very different feel. Mousse and Louis are young, beautiful, rich and in love. But drugs have invaded their lives. One day, they overdose and Louis dies. Mousse survives but soon learns she's pregnant. Feeling lost, Mousse runs away to a house far from Paris. Several months later, Louis' brother joins her in her refuge. There are times when Mousse's actions make her a bit hard to take, and she would certainly never pass muster as a Romance heroine. Paul is played by Louis-Ronan Choisy, a French singer. Paul is definitely the most attractive character in the film, in the sense that he is warm and not self-destructive and is someone you'd actually like to know. I was intrigued by the actor but could find very little information about him online.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to watch The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock last night and thought it was really good. The first part dragged a bit, but it did pick up. She deserved that award. And to think this was a true story.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: "Heartbreaker" Reply with quote

I seem to be on a movie viewing binge. On Saturday I went with a friend to see a new French film, "Heartbreaker". We both enjoyed it very much, and I think it's a movie that would appeal to Romance fans. Romain Duris plays a man who is paid by brothers, fathers, friends to break up affairs between women and unsuitable men. His rule is that he never sleeps with the women but leaves them aware that they deserve better than their prior jerk boyfriends. His downfall occurs when he finally falls in love with one of the women. While the basic premise doesn't hold up to serious scrutiny, it's a funny, smart romantic comedy.
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Finally got to watch The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock last night and thought it was really good. The first part dragged a bit, but it did pick up. She deserved that award. And to think this was a true story.

I finally saw it, too, Tee. I thought it was a very good movie, but after I read Michael Oher's wikipedia bio, it's pretty obvious that there was a lot of creative license used in the movie. Even w/that concession, though, I thought it was a very nice movie w/a great Christian message.

I also recently saw The Lovely Bones. It was the premiere movie on HBO last night. Geez, what a downer that was. Even w/the bad guy's denouement, I still didn't feel any satisfaction, especially considering the number of women/girls he murdered. I tell ya, anytime I see something set in the 70s w/crazed psychos running loose, it really bugs me out b/c I was a pre-teen and then teenage in the 70s. When I think of all the places I walked or rode my bike to alone...yikes.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
I finally saw it, too, Tee (The Blind Side). I thought it was a very good movie, but after I read Michael Oher's wikipedia bio, it's pretty obvious that there was a lot of creative license used in the movie.

Oh, I think I knew that, too, Jebe. In order to appeal, Hollywood has to embelish quite a bit. Even so, the basics were there. I'm not sure I could do what she did---very generous and selfless. My husband said they got one thing right. The woman who adopted him was very attractive (he would notice that part Laughing ).

jebe wrote:
I also recently saw The Lovely Bones. It was the premiere movie on HBO last night. Geez, what a downer that was.

I didn't watch that movie purposely, jebe. I totally disliked the book, which went against the grain of America's readers, I guess. Shocked I really didn't see the appeal of the book and thought the author's writing style lacked something for me. I abandoned it about midfield and never regretted it. When the movie came out, I had not even one ounce of curiosity regarding it.
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Oh, I think I knew that, Jebe. In order to appeal, Hollywood has to embelish quite a bit. Even so, the basic were there. I'm not sure I could do what she did. My husband said they got one thing right. The woman who adopted him was very attractive (he would notice that part Laughing ).

That's funny, Tee. And yes, I stopped believing a while ago that Hollywood was giving me the straight-up story! But never-the-less, a great message story. I liked the way the message conveyed that he gave to them as much as they gave to him.

Tee wrote:
I didn't watch that movie purposely, jebe. I totally disliked the book, which went against the grain of America's readers, I guess. Shocked I really didn't see the appeal of the book and thought the author's writing style lacked something for me. I abandoned it about midfield and never regretted it. When the movie came out, I had not even one ounce of curiosity regarding it.

I never read the book, it never appealed to me. That should've been my first clue to skip the movie! Alas, it was either this movie or repeats of Halloween classics on TNT! Should've gone with the Halloween classics! Confused
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in Rome
Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel

B

When Beth pulls three coins and one poker chip from Rome's fountain of love she unwittingly forces four men to fall in love with her. As they chase her around NY trying to win her she finds she truly loves one of them. But will she ever know if his love is real or just the coin talking?

Fun and sweet, I really enjoyed this romantic comedy. I did feel like the ending bit at the church went on a bit long though. Still, cute if predictable romance.
misled_wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last movie I watched was Whip it!
I totally love it.
It's fun and feisty and ah...I'm such a sucker for finding-yourself/coming-of-age type of plots, and I'm especially weak against strong, independent female characters.
I haven't read the book when I watched it, but now I'm considering trying it. Very Happy
LizE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I got so many great recommendations here--thank you! I always thought it was way too late to jump in on Dr. Who, but now I'm going to try.

Saw Hereafter last night and loved it (A). It's a film that takes its time in letting the story unfold, which I'm really starting to appreciate over constant action. The acting was uniformly phenomenal. I've never been a Matt Damon fan, but I am a huge admirer now.
tearose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096170/

I watched 'Stealing Heaven' which was adapted from Marion Meade's novel of the same name featuring her take on the medieval love story of Heloise & Abelard.

http://derekdelintfansite.com/stealingheaven/thestory.htm
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? with Joan Crawford and Bette Davis.

One of the classics channels was showing it this Halloween weekend. I had never seen it before and there was nothing else on, so I started watching it with the full intention of turning it off after a while. Never happened, I was transfixed from the get-go. They really don't make them like that anymore, literally. So much reliance on acting, virtually no special effects. Even when it seemed over-the-top it was still good. The only special effect that showed up was when Jane was calling the doctor back and used her sister's voice to cancel him from coming over. They dubbed in Joan Crawford's voice for that scene. It was disburbing, but disburbingly good fun!
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was a good movie, jebe. I saw it shortly after it came out. Every now and then I catch it as I surf the channels, but have never watched it all the way thru a second time. I really don't like either actress, but they did a great job in this one.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Most Recent Movie Reply with quote

Last Saturday I saw the documentary "Waiting for Superman". It's about the American educational system and the ways in which it shortchanges children. The movie definitely has a point of view (charter schools good, teacher tenure bad) that one may disagree with. On a personal level, the kids and parents whose stories it highlights are both heartwarming and heartbreaking. These parents may be poor, but they are loving, involved parents who want only the best for their children.

I think I found the movie particularly interesting in my job because I see the real world impact of one of the issues the movie highlights. I work in an area where math is important. American schoolchildren score poorly on math tests compared to much of the rest of the world and are less likely to study advanced math (the old Barbie "math is hard" syndrome). As a result in my department almost half of the employees are from China and about a quarter are from India. The remaining 25% are from Bangladesh, Ghana, Nigeria, Peru, Poland, and Russia, with only a few native-born Americans. These are good-paying jobs, but I know when I've hired for vacancies that I get very few Americans who apply. I have great faith in Americans ability to do anything, but I worry that our educational system is not preparing our children for the jobs of the future.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Recent Movie Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Last Saturday I saw the documentary "Waiting for Superman". It's about the American educational system and the ways in which it shortchanges children. The movie definitely has a point of view (charter schools good, teacher tenure bad) that one may disagree with. On a personal level, the kids and parents whose stories it highlights are both heartwarming and heartbreaking. These parents may be poor, but they are loving, involved parents who want only the best for their children.

I think I found the movie particularly interesting in my job because I see the real world impact of one of the issues the movie highlights. I work in an area where math is important. American schoolchildren score poorly on math tests compared to much of the rest of the world and are less likely to study advanced math (the old Barbie "math is hard" syndrome). As a result in my department almost half of the employees are from China and about a quarter are from India. The remaining 25% are from Bangladesh, Ghana, Nigeria, Peru, Poland, and Russia, with only a few native-born Americans. These are good-paying jobs, but I know when I've hired for vacancies that I get very few Americans who apply. I have great faith in Americans ability to do anything, but I worry that our educational system is not preparing our children for the jobs of the future.

I am waiting for the accompanying book from the library. I agree with a lot of what I have heard so far about it. Teacher tenure (and an extremely strong teacher's union) has many teachers refusing to do more than minimally required by the law. I am glad that we have seen a push by the media recently to expose some of this. I just hope it's not too late.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megamind
Will Ferrell, Tina Fey
B+

When one of his notorious plans goes right, villain Megamind finds that it is no fun to run rampant through the streets with no one there to stop him from doing whatever he wants. Can anyone rise up to challenge him?

I expected a pleasant little film for the family but it was great. Much better than expectations - funny and touching and sweet. A terrific film about an underdog and outsider finding his inner hero.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again. We will for sure be picking this one up once its a DVD.

maggie b.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: