AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merryweather

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends with Benefits
I went to this all by myself because I was waiting for my daughter and had nothing else to do and it was the only movie in the right time slot. Not expecting anything, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. That Justin Timberlake fellow is actually a good actor and very funny. Mila Kunis is beautiful and also funny. There was a lot of raunchy humor--I would not take kids to see it--but good for grown-ups who don't get offended at bad language, nudity and sex. There were also some touching moments with a parent with early onset Alzheimer's--just an all around surprising movie.

Captain America: First Avenger
Good fun--well made and plenty of eye candy abounding. They did a CGi thing on Captain America before he was transformed so he appears very small and thin for the first part of the movie and it was remarkable how seamless it was. Chris Evans is quite the hunky guy and does a nice job though Thor beats him out in the hotness dept. , imo.

Kind of an unsatisfying ending but it leads right up to the new Avengers movie coming out next summer.

Cute, no?
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
jebe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 the other night. I had read online that they'd veered a lot from the book so I wasn't expecting to be bowled over, but I was. So bittersweet to see this amazing story come to its finale. Even the changes they made were fine with me. I must admit I spent the second half of the movie teetering between wiping away tears or just outright bawling. Powerful ending to a wonderful series.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain America
B

Geeky guy gets turned in to super soldier and takes on a truly villainous Nazi.

I liked this tale of the first avenger and look forward to seeing him again next year in the hero packed sequel.

The Tourist
C

Lovely scenery, including the two leads (Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie) made the movie glamorous. But I figured out the big secret long before halfway through, which made the plot not so good for me.

Cowboys and Aliens
B-/C+

Aliens come to Earth looking for a surprising resource. Their big and their scary - but they don't count on the American cowboy and all he can accomplish. Too much cowboy, not enough alien. A touch slow but still fairly good.

maggie b.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain America B+

I knew nothing about Captain America prior to seeing this movie, and I thought they did a great job of laying it all out there for a novice. I really liked the idea that the serum enhanced not just Steve's physical traits, but also his character. I felt bad for him at the very end, and I'm interested to see if The Avengers delves into any adjustment issues he might have.
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Crazy Reply with quote

Crazy Stupid Love was a nice escape on a hot summer day. It has some unexpected twists and turns and quirky secondary characters. Emma Stone is great in everything she does and she and Ryan Gosling are a great onscreen couple. I can't wait for her big new movie The Help to be released Aug 10th. I'm also looking forward to Tower Heist, with Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy after seeing the previews. Its a planned revenge heist/caper that comes out in early Nov.
merryweather

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Cowboys and Aliens this afternoon. I have mixed feelings about it--I love Jon Favreau and most of the stuff he directs I enjoy but there were a few missing links here. Plenty of action and scary aliens and things jumping out unexpectedly--I had my eyes covered for maybe 20% of the time. Not a lot of emotional heft or dialog between characters, and the ending was pretty weak. With the stellar cast they had, I just thought they could have come up with something a little more memorable.

Daniel Craig was fantastic to look at, though--and Harrison Ford did a nice job with a tough role. I give it a B-.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a quick question for those who have seen Captain America already- did you notice Richard Armitage in it? Did he have much of a part or just a small generic villain role?

I'm really interested to see this movie, I like Chris Evans and always enjoy a well made superhero film. I'm hoping to catch it this week. Thanks in advance!
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
This is a quick question for those who have seen Captain America already- did you notice Richard Armitage in it? Did he have much of a part or just a small generic villain role?

I didn't even realize it was him until I got home and looked on IMDB! He looked really different--creepy--to me, but he was a bad guy so I know it was intentional. It was mostly a smaller henchman villain part and I won't spoil it for you but he plays a key part right after Steve Rogers transforms into the hunky guy he actually is. Wink

Next we'll see him as a dwarf in The Hobbit and he looks totally different once again--I just can't picture him knee-high! It will be crazy to see.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy Captn. America--it's really fun.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Merryweather!

That is pretty much what I expected. I thought the same thing about the Hobbit movie too- finally he is getting movie work but it has to be disguised as a dwarf! What a waste, lol.

I'm hoping to see Captain America this week and I still need to catch Harry Potter!
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
B

A moving story about how good intentions can go completely wrong: Trying to save his father from alzheimers a young scientist unwittingly creates a super ape. And the super ape does not like how he and his friends are treated by man . . . . .

A good sci fi film that doesn't involve aliens etc. I am looking forward to the sequels.

maggie b.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else looking forward to Fright Night? My daughter moves into her college dorm on Sunday so as a last little mother/daughter fling we're going to go see this next Saturday. We can't wait! From the promos it looks good.

Linda
LouiseM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Anyone else looking forward to Fright Night? ...............

I AM !!! Please tell us what you thought of it.

Thanks!
jebe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouiseM wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to it, too. I confess, though, that I wasn't too interested until I saw the preview w/David Tennant as a vamp hunter! Cool He is, after all, my Doctor. Love him.
BabyBorge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
LouiseM wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to it, too. I confess, though, that I wasn't too interested until I saw the preview w/David Tennant as a vamp hunter! Cool He is, after all, my Doctor. Love him.

Me too! Will be watching it because MY DOCTOR (ahem Very Happy ) is there. Just hearing that Scottish accent makes me all tingly all over. I hope they don't kill him in the first 20 minutes.

I saw COWBOYS AND ALIENS and was sort of disappointed. It's not bad, but it's also not that good. I have to give it a C. I keep waiting for it to be interesting but that didn't happen. The dialogues weren't good. Where are the funny lines, the zingers? On the positive side, there's Daniel Craig!
merryweather

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Stupid Love Grade: A
I was so happily surprised by this movie. The whole cast is great, but Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling are in a league of their own--I can't imagine two more different actors but they were both incredible. Steve makes me want to cry--he is so quietly emotional without getting sappy, and Ryan is cleverly funny in this role without being a caricature. Highly recommend.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: