AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xmas Eve at Friday Harbor
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LisaKleypas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Xmas Eve at Friday Harbor Reply with quote

Hello, LisaA, little asian and other friends! I've tried and tried to post a reply in the "Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor" thread, but for some reason it wouldn't go through. Or if I've somehow managed to post the same reply twelve times, you'll know what happened.

I'm sorry for the confusion about the plot summary for "Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor!" It's the result of a tight deadline, so sales information had to be given when I was still in the planning stages of the book. And as you can see, I tend to change my plots and character names quite a bit in the early stages! I first came up with the idea for a widower with a child, and gradually it evolved into a plot featuring two bachelor uncles taking care of their orphaned niece.

Here's what it finally ended up being: Mark Nolan becomes the legal guardian of his six year old niece Holly, and they move in with his brother Sam, who owns a small vineyard on San Juan Island. Although Mark has been dating a woman in Seattle for a while, the lack of turbulence and intensity between them, which has always seemed right before, has begun to seem vaguely wrong. Mark meets a beautiful young widow, Maggie Conroy, who has just moved to the island, but for various reasons he and Maggie know that a relationship between them isn't possible. Which naturally only makes them more attracted to each other :)

Because this is a Christmas story, it's going to be a shorter book in a hardcover format (I think price is 16.00)--this length and format seems to be what many readers prefer for a holiday read. But every book in the series can be read on its own, and the following three titles will all be full-length (which to me is much easier to write than a shorter length!) I would love for them to be released in paperback or possibly trade, but no decisions have been made yet.

Hope you are all having a GREAT summer!

Warmly,
Lisa
LisaA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Lisa, for the clarification on both the book and the process! I am very excited about the Friday Harbor series, both as a longtime fan of your writing, and because I live in the Seattle area and absolutely love the San Juan Islands Very Happy

Also (forgive me for the fangirl moment) I very much enjoyed Married by Morning and Love in the Afternoon, and am now going through Hathaway withdrawal Laughing Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor cannot come soon enough for me!!
little asian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add my thanks as well for dropping by to clarify. I look forward to each of your books and will buy in whatever format they are published in.
LisaKleypas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LisaA, I love the San Juan Islands too!!! In fact, my husband Greg and I are taking the kids there next week, for his birthday. You are so nice--THANK YOU!--I'm actually going through Hathaway withdrawal myself. I keep wondering what happened to Mark Bennett and Audrey--LOL. I hope you'll enjoy "Xmas Eve"--I tried to make it as polished and sparkly as possible, and hopefully my enthusiasm for this gorgeous place will come through.

little asian, thank you to you too!!! So much of my work is done in solitude, it is WONDERFUL to have your encouragement and to share my love for this genre :)
Claire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa....
Love in the Afternoon was a beautiful ending to the Hathaway series. I had to blink a few times before I was able to believe you were on the board. No pressure but please tell us you have plans to write about Mark Bennett and Audrey? Smile

You are my favorite romance author and I just had to say that and thank you for sharing your writing with us.

Thank you for posting! As always, I'm eagerly awaiting your next book!
LisaKleypas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Claire,

Well, that is the nicest possible message to wake up to--thank you!!!

I have another historical romance to write on my current contract, and I would definitely not rule out Mark and Audrey as the possible hero and heroine, but I'm still not sure. Usually I have to think about a couple, figure out what issues and problems they might face, and then see if any particular scenes start "blooming" in my mind.

When I started planning Beatrix's novel, I had envisioned a Beauty and the Beast type theme, but then it evolved into a Cyrano-ish plot. It had occurred to me that Beatrix had to have a special hero who might need healing, and she could play a part in that. And then as I researched the time period and read more about the Crimean War, the idea of a wounded soldier seemed perfect, which finally resulted in the love-letters angle.

What I love about writing is that sometimes when you throw in a sentence or two that occurs to you, like Mark Bennet's "impotence," it really jumps out and suggests a whole new story!

Thank you so much for you post, Claire--you made my day!
nikkiphilton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another fan wanting to know about Mark and Audrey. The characters have become so real to me, I need their story.
LisaKleypas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to make it happen! Smile
dreamweaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to your new contemp series, and, I must say, that I am more intrigued by the idea of brothers raising their orphaned neice than by a widower. Whichever way it had gone, though, I have no doubt that you would have worked your magic and made it a wonderful story.

I loved the Hathaway series and, like others have said, am going to miss them now that the series is over. It was beautiful from start to finish and what I particuarly liked was how true you stayed to each of the characters, even when they got their own stories. Yes, there was growth, but the core of their being remained constant and I loved that, as well as the family dynamic which was always one of the highlights of each of the books.

I can't wait for your next historical (or historical series) and I would love to hear what happens to Bennett and Audrey. Gotta love a guy who isn't afraid to fake impotence just to get the girl he loves to spend time with him LOL.

Not to sound like a gushing fangirl, but I have loved everything I have read by you. My favorites, though, still remain Blue Eyed Devil (although Jack almost - almost - gave Hardy a run for his money) and A Devil in Winter.

Good luck with the new series and whatever comes next on the historical front, not that I'm pressuring you mind Smile
IslandGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to love the board where you can find posts by one of your favorite authors that gave me such hours of pleasure. Very Happy Very Happy
LisaKleypas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dreamweaver (and Island Girl), thank you--I wish you could see how much I'm smiling right now!!!

Re the contemp series: I think the pair of bachelor brothers ended up being more fun (and funnier) than the widower concept--I hope you'll like it!

And I loved writing the Hathaway series because it was a lot of fun to write a family of oddballs in the historical setting. I have been thrilled that it was received so well and with such generosity from readers, because in a way the series concept was a sort of deconstruction of the elegant "ballroom" type of historical romances. (Although I love those too)

I SO appreciate your mention of Blue-Eyed Devil--that book has meant a lot to me, and I tried to handle the subject matter carefully and sensitively. Hardy was one of those characters who appeared fully-formed in my head, and it was so satisfying to be able to show him from his teenaged years in Sugar Daddy to a fully grown man in his own book.

LOL about Mark and Audrey . . . wouldn't it be fun to see the moment when she finds out?

THANK YOU for the good luck wishes--always needed and appreciated!
seton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LisaKleypas wrote:

What I love about writing is that sometimes when you throw in a sentence or two that occurs to you, like Mark Bennet's "impotence," it really jumps out and suggests a whole new story!

What made it interesting to me is that Audrey's "barrenness" seems to be a complimentary conflict. Smile

Like others, I enjoyed LITA very much and look forward to Audrey & Mark's HEA . . . although not necessarily in their own full-length historical.
little asian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that you are known for your sensual and emotional writing. I don't think you get enough credit for the sly wit and humor. In LITA, I will always grin when I think of the scene when Phelan asks Cam and Leo for permission to marry Bea. Reading about 3 men bickering, lol!
cdnreader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you LisaA and Little Asian for getting Lisa to stop by. I'm so thrilled to read more about Christmas Eve at Friday Harbour.

Amazon.co.uk shows that there will be two books released for 2011 Rainshadow Road in June 2011 and Griffin Bay in July 2011.

I'm looking forward tor reading about Mark and Maggie and Mark's brother Sam. I'm with little asian, I love the humor in your books! Thanks for giving us three books this year.

Can't wait for November.Smile
Winnie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Lisa for posting about the Friday Harbor series and your other comments about the Hathaway's and Travis'.

I am another fangirl. I just found your books, starting with Sugar Daddy, last summer. I don't know how I missed them. I glommed all your books and read them in the past year.

My favorites are the Travis'. I think Smooth Talking Stranger was the best. Loved Jack!! Are you going to write a book about Joe? I think his story needs to be told. (also Bennett & Audrey)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: