AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Feel About A Site Removing A Post Or Topic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: How Do You Feel About A Site Removing A Post Or Topic? Reply with quote

I really want to hear other people's opinion on this. I post here, Romantic Times and on other websites. I have great experiences posting on AAR and Romantic Times. By great, I mean I haven't any of my posts or topics removed by these sites. AAR and Romantic Times seem to allow everyone to say what they want. Sometimes I've posted a topic in a forum where it shouldn't have been. Once I realized the mistake, I really expected to find the topic removed the next time I returned to read the comments. But my topic was never removed, and I was never reprimanded by either site. Posts probaly are removed occasionally on both sites, but mostly I think AAR and Romantic Times allow everyone alot of freedom to post what they want to.

I've posted on some other places where topics are removed daily. I have posted new topics only to return that night or the next day and find them gone. I understand removing offensive posts or topics. However, some of the things I see removed, don't seem offensive.

Have you ever had anything removed by a website? You don't have to tell what website if you don't want to appear as though your critizing it. If you've never had anything removed, then just tell me how you feel about a website removing a post or topic?

I think it should be left alone unless someone complains.
FriendlyFace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the post breaking some forum rule? Are you sure they're being removed and not just moved?

Bev
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different websites have different rules and different moderators. There is no "right" to have one's post kept up, or put up in the first place, just as there is no "right" to have a newspaper publish one's letter to the editor. As has often been said, freedom of the press belongs to him who owns one.

I have no problem with posts being moved or removed ó that's up to the moderator. In the same way, there is absolutely no obligation for me to visit particular sites. I may avoid one site because it has been moderated into total blandness, and I may avoid another because it has degenerated into vituperative obscenity.

There are dangers in both over- and under-moderation.
AM78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyFace wrote:
Is the post breaking some forum rule? Are you sure they're being removed and not just moved?

Bev

That happens freguently; a topic may be merged with another topic if they are similiar. Like AAR, all anyone has to do is click on their profile and click on find all posts by whoever. I've done this on some of the other sites I post to find topics I wanted to read again, but couldn't find the my comment I posted. Some of these other places I post will also change the title of topics.

I just think people should be allowed to say what they want. I understand removing things if its offensive.

I don't like over-moderation.

I always try to be careful when posting, but I think in the end, you have to be honest about your opinions.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the bottom line is that it's their site and their rules and their prerogatives to do anything they'd like even if we don't agree with it. As JaneO said, if those kinds of things are not to your liking, then you may not want to visit them nor post on them in the future. We had a discussion on these boards some time ago regarding authors' and bloggers' sites. Some didn't agree, but they do have the right to moderate their own sites. If all they want are posters who totally agree with them, then they can do that. That site is their own home and they can feel free to set the standards for it.

So look for the sites that welcome differing points of view and reject the ones that allow only for yes-people to their thoughts. There are enough of them around.
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Moderator, I have been watching this topic as is usual for all threads. AARís philosophy on board moderation is one of a hands-off nature for the most part. If a reader posts in the Letís Talk forum a topic that by definition belongs in the Potpourri forum, we usually leave it alone. We donít want to inhibit posts. We do want to encourage posts without the fear of being slapped on the hand. Occasionally posts are deleted as well but the poster has most likely been contacted first to explain the reason for the deletion. The most common reason for deletion of a post is an attempt to sell some item for personal gain.

If a discussion becomes a little hairy, we prefer to see if our posters can work it out (and it usually works that way). But that doesnít mean there are not times we moderate because we, in fact, do. It is the right of the siteís owners to control content as needed or desired.

I have split threads and moved threads (and possibly merged threads) when required. A good example of a necessary thread movement would be a Wild West thread planted in the middle of the Potpourri forum. Our Wild West forum is described as no-holds barred and controversy is the name of the game. Our Potpourri forum may be controversial at times but, we hope, not political, religious, etc. There is a large difference in the two forums. Another typical reason for moving a thread is a Writerís forum thread posted in one of the other readerís forums.

If a thread dissolves into a personal attack session, we will warn posters to stay on topic and may find it necessary to close the thread to further posts. It is uncommon for us to delete entire threads.

AM78, Iím glad to hear you have some great experiences posting at AAR. Letís hope this word may encourage other readers who are just a little too shy to post, to do just that. We love our regular posters and love it when we hear from new posters!

Lea
AAR Moderator

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: