AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name your favorite Harlequin/Silhouette/category books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved all of Justine Davis' Trinity West series books, Jane A.

Kathleen Korbel wrote a book titled A Rose for Maggie and I have never forgotten it. The story was quite deep and the characters were drawn very well. Those were during the years when many of the authors made the best of 250 pages and knew what they were doing. Now probably the text print was small and sometimes that was a big problem, but this one was well worth it.
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I loved all of Justine Davis' Trinity West series books, Jane A.

Oh yes, they were all excellent. I was just taking the OP literally when she said "favorite". Very Happy
DeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Kathleen Korbel wrote a book titled A Rose for Maggie and I have never forgotten it. The story was quite deep and the characters were drawn very well. Those were during the years when many of the authors made the best of 250 pages and knew what they were doing. Now probably the text print was small and sometimes that was a big problem, but this one was well worth it.

A Rose for Maggie is on my keeper shelf, along with a ton of categories including:

Daddy's Little Dividend by Elda Minger
Protective Custody by Debra Webb
Night Into Day by Sandra Canfield
Long Time Coming by Sandra Brown
Quinn's Woman by Susan Mallory

There are more, but you don't want to see my extensive keeper list.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeD wrote:

Night Into Day by Sandra Canfield

I've been looking for that one for a while.

The problem with identifying some series romances is that, for many well-known authors, the stories are later repackaged and you don't know that they were once categories. This happens all the time with Nora Roberts. There's a book by Sandra Brown I like called Eloquent Silence. I'll bet anything that was a category. Same with Deborah Smith's Hold on Tight and Never Let Go.

Here are some I've enjoyed that I know are categories:
The Best of Both Worlds by Elissa Ambrose
The Billionaire Next Door by Jessica Bird
The Wallflower by Jan Freed
Her Secret Thrill by Donna Kauffman (This was a Blaze.)
Rogue's Reform by Marilyn Pappano
Body Heat by Carly Phillips (Another Blaze)
Becca's Baby by Tara Taylor Quinn (Good story.)
Mr. and Mrs. Wrong by Fay Robinson
Meant to be Married by Ruth Wind
MarianneM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Favorite Harlequin/Silhouette books ... Reply with quote

I'm rereading one right now, one of a connected series about SAS military folks, which Fiona Brand wrote a little while ago. All of them take place in Australia/New Zealand. The best of the set is Blade's Lady ... wonderful , brooding hero, courageous heroine. The one I'm rereading now is Gabriel West: Still the One. West is one of Blade's special ops unit, as is Blade's older brother Gray, whose book is named Heart of Midnight. Another of the set is Marrying McCabe. All of these books are quite eloquently the classic pure romance of the 1990s and they wear very well. Fione Brand is now writing much longer books in the romantic suspense genre, but I sense she is not comfortable in the longer format, and I don't like them nearly as much.

MarianneM
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My by no means complete list:
Just about anything by Barbara Boswell; Carole Buck; Justine Davis (one my favorite of hers is The Mourning Side of Dawn); Gail Douglas; Jennifer Greene (who also wrote for Jove as Jeanne Grant and still writes for Silhouette); Naomi Horton; Kathleen Korbel; Merline Lovelace; Lee Magner; and Karen Templeton.

Rachel Leeís early Conard County series was really great. I havenít cared much for the recent ďnew generationĒ books. Same with Marilyn Pappano. I have most of her early SIM books, but the last book of hers Iíve kept is from 2007.

Nora Roberts wrote many great family series for Silhouette. Affair Royale, Courting Catherine, Taming Natasha, A Man for Amanda, and The Heart of Devin MacKade are my favorites.

I also loved Lynn Bartlettís Heart and Soul; Gina Ferrisí Family Found series; Kaitlyn Gortonís Cloud Castles; Gina Grayís The Blaines & McCalls series; Tami Hoagís Man of Her Dreams; Dee Holmesí The Farrell Marriage and Without Price; Linda Howardís Diamond Bay and Duncanís Bride; Linda Winstead Jonesí Sinclair series; Ruth Ryan Langanís various familiy series; Joyce McGillís Through the Looking Glass and A Loving Touch; Emilie Richardsí Runaway series; Alicia Scottís The Guiness Gang and Maximillianís Children series; Maura Segerís Caught in the Act; Marilyn Tracyís The Fundemental Things Apply; and Mary Anne Wilsonís Two for the Road and Two Against the World

and as Elaine S mentioned, Judith Duncanís Wide Open Spaces series as well as her other SIM books.
Elaine S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"library addict" Linda Howardís Duncanís Bride

Yes, and MacKenzie's Mountaim (only that one from the on-going series of MacKenzie books - not the rest of them) Those are 2 Linda Howards that I did put on the keeper shelf.

Also agree about Justine Davis's Morning Side of Dawn which was part of a trilogy. I think they are still lurking around the house somewhere.
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeD wrote:
Daddy's Little Dividend by Elda Minger

Hurray! Somebody else who loves Elda Minger! I have Wedding of the Year on my keeper shelf.

Of course there are all the Carla Kellys over the years, every one a keeper in my book (or my bookshelf, as the case may be)

Nora Roberts's Stanislaski book about Mikhail (didn't like the others as much but I loved that one).

All of Kathleen Gilles Seidel's old categories, but especially A Risk Worth Taking and The Same Last Name.

Alexandra Sellers's A Nice Girl Like You (she wrote sheikh ones later but this is not about sheikhs).

Does Marion Chesney count as a category? If so, I love them all.

I know there are more but I'll spare you Smile
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly second Justine Davis, and add Janice Kay Johnson.

A lot of people, when they say "series," seem to limit it to Harlequin Presents.
Elaine S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeD wrote:

Of course there are all the Carla Kellys over the years, every one a keeper in my book (or my bookshelf, as the case may be)

Ooooh !! Didn't know if regencies were part of this or not.

Carla Kelly
Elizabeth Rolls
Mary Balogh
Mary Jo Putney
Edith Layton
Barbara Metzger
Jo Beverley
Marjorie Farrell
Judith A Lansdowne

And more than a few others!
xina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adored the now defunct Temptation Series from Harlequin. There was a time I consumed those books like candy. They were a bit different from the Blaze line in that the h/h didn't jump into bed at the start of the book. Still a sexy romantic story, but the relationship moved a bit slower. My favorite authors were...Colleen Collins (Tongue-Tied), Tori Carrington, Lori Foster, Alison Kent, Nancy Warren, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jannelle Denison. I usually stay away from those really short books, but Temptation worked for me, and I had a lot of fun reading them and collecting them.
whos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to mention favorites that no one has mentioned:

Her Sister's Baby and First Comes the Baby Janice Kay Johnson
The Cowboy's Baby by Patricia Thayer
Two Alone by Sandra Brown
A Natural Father by Sarah Mayberry
A Bridesmaid Reward by Liz Fielding
The Tenderfoot Bride by Cheryl St. John
Rio Grande Wedding by Ruth Wind
THe Prodigal Wife by Susan Fox
Katie Mack AAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I adored the now defunct Temptation Series from Harlequin. There was a time I consumed those books like candy. They were a bit different from the Blaze line in that the h/h didn't jump into bed at the start of the book. Still a sexy romantic story, but the relationship moved a bit slower. My favorite authors were...Colleen Collins (Tongue-Tied), Tori Carrington, Lori Foster, Alison Kent, Nancy Warren, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jannelle Denison. I usually stay away from those really short books, but Temptation worked for me, and I had a lot of fun reading them and collecting them.

I loved the Temptation line too, although I was reading them from the late 80s through the mid-late 90s, so I'm missing a big chunk during the early-00s till when the line was ended (that's when I was in college and had to quite reading fiction, period). I'm now working my way back through them and discovering Temptations by several of the authors you listed.
baseballmom5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, fantastic idea!

I have found Sarah Mayberry, Nancy Warren and Kay Stockham (a bit more serious though).

On my radar to try is
Fiona Brand- a friend loves her and I said I have to read her
Jessica Bird- JR Ward gotta read her!
Carla Kelly!!!

I'll also be making notes from this list!
baseballmom5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot Jill Shalvis!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: