AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow (possible spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow (possible spoilers) Reply with quote

Has any one else read this??? I just finished it

Blurp:

*Geoffrey Wentworth, a war hero and rising political star, never wanted to be the Earl, but when his brother dies, he knows his duty—take up the responsibility for his family’s estates. His mother’s definition of duty differs from his, however, and can be summed up in one word—heirs. When Geoffrey rushes home to answer her urgent summons, he finds himself host to a house full of women, all vying to become the next Countess of Stratford. But his love is Parliament, where he wields his influence and reputation to better the lives of ex-soldiers, until a tempting houseguest and a secret from his past threaten his freedom…and his heart.

Liliana Claremont, a brilliant chemist, doesn’t want to be any man’s wife, much less a Countess. If she had tuppence for every time she’d been told her place was filling the nursery, not experimenting in the laboratory, she could buy the Tower Bridge. However, when she receives a coveted invitation to the Earl’s house party, she trades in her beakers for ball gowns and gladly takes on the guise of husband hunter—for the chance to uncover what the Earl had to do with the murder of her father.

Liliana believes the best way to get the answers she needs is to keep her enemy close, though romance is not part of her formula. But it only takes one kiss to start a reaction she can't control...*

I was a little apprehensive because this was a debut novel and I'v recently had a little bad luck when it came to new authors but I'm so glad I picked it up.
Its sweet book with endearing characters, The premise isn't something that hasn't been done before but its a well told story and the falling in love aspect (and lets face it, in a romance novel its kind of the most important aspect Razz... at least for me) is IMO well depicted and believable, the reader can see the H and h's growing respect and regard for each other whats more the couple doesn't tumble into bed till at least halfway through the book Razz

The text was sprinkled with random chemistry references which might have been a creative way to stay true to the heroine's personality but unfortunately kept disrupting the flow of the story for me Sad
I had a few issues with how the author wrapped up the mystery side of the story in particular the location of the treasure and the ease with which the H got off for supposed treason, (I would have been happier if they never found the treasure at all) but the flaws weren't enough to mar my enjoyment of the book.
overall grade :B

I would love to hear what you guys thought of the book
Jill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow (possible spoilers) Reply with quote

I also enjoyed Sweet Enemy. Well-written and I enjoyed the slowly-evolving love story.
Unlike you though Ash, I loved the scientific details and how author Heather Snow adapted the knowledge of chemistry and science to the time.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it even though I usually don't read Regencies. It wasn't ground-breaking or truly innovative, but the writing was very good. The only thing I was ho-hum about was the suspense/mystery subplot. Not many authors can balance building a credible romance with a mystery and Sweet Enemy lacked the proper tension that would have made Geoffrey and Liliana's conflict juicier. By the time he figured out she finagled an invitation to search his home, I found his reaction a bit over the top because the book tended to drop Liliana's reasons for being at his home for chapters at a time. Oh and I found Liliana's chemistry background a bit underwhelming since she was mostly a healer as opposed to a chemist involved in the advances of the day, but I supposed it had to be toned down to keep the focus on the romance. However, I do like Snow's writing and would definitely read her next book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: