AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gates, Crowley, and Obama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:
[

You do know this is primarily a board for discussing romance novels, not politics, right? I find it interesting that you've only posted in this section. What are you currently reading? You might want to branch out and enjoy the rest of the site.

I found the same thing interesting. The only posts by this person are on this board. There must be countless political message boards in which to vent. Odd that the poster chose this one, but whatever. **shrug** I guess arguing ('scuse me...discussing) politics here is as good as anywhere else.
Juliette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Juliette wrote:
[

You do know this is primarily a board for discussing romance novels, not politics, right? I find it interesting that you've only posted in this section. What are you currently reading? You might want to branch out and enjoy the rest of the site.

I found the same thing interesting. The only posts by this person are on this board. There must be countless political message boards in which to vent. Odd that the poster chose this one, but whatever. **shrug** I guess arguing ('scuse me...discussing) politics here is as good as anywhere else.

I've been posting here at AAR for over a year, Xina, I didn't even notice this section till a few weeks ago. I thought I'd skip posting in it since it's really not why I come to this site, but the hostility from some obviously . . . well, let's just say, people aggressive about their views, towards nice people who aren't heavily into politics, was starting to seem unfair.

I'm a political junkie who reads a lot, and felt it more appropriate for heavy duty political discussion/debate be saved for the those discussion boards just for that. I guess it's just feeling right to join the mix. Very Happy
norcalgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@juliette

Since bbmedos dealt with most of what you said quite well I won't bother. And yes, the links came originally from bbmedos as well.

I will however comment on my reason for being here on this site, as well as why I have only posted on this forum, even though I don't see how it pertains to the arguments made.

Juliette wrote:

All About Romance sure seems to imply it's about romance novels, not politics. You will likely never see me post in any other forum, it is counter to the main reason for me being here. This week I am rereading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Yep, you caught me, not a romance novel. The truth is I have read no more than 20 "romance" novels, and considering how voraciously I read that is pathetically few. This brings me to the real reason I am here on this site.

Writing

I was recommended to this site by a friend as an excellent resource for a series of books I am writing. My books target women primarily, as well as having primarily female characters. Since I am not a woman, and have read so few "romance" novels I have a lot of research to do. I have to say I have not been disappointed in this site as far as that goes. The reason I don't post on any other forum in this site is because I am interested in the opinions of others when it comes to "romance", and have no interest in spoiling my research by inserting my opinions. This makes it extremely unlikely that I will post in any other forum on this site (at this stage in my research), my lack of posts do not mean I am not enjoying the other forums though.

I was also recommended to this forum in particular though, as a fun place to bounce around ideas having nothing to do with romance novels. Since my reason for being on The WWW forum is to break the tedium of research and have some fun I have been doing just that. In fact, what attracted me about the WWW forum is exactly because the site is primarily for romance novels, so what you end up with is some decent diversity in comments. Have you ever looked at the political forums? Most of what I see is either people who completely agree with the blogger, or people who just want to insult them. Because this forum is much less populated than those, and people are here for a different reason than politics, there is great diversity, and fewer posts. I don't have time to deal with a politics only forum, between my 4 children and work it just isn't there for me.

Pardon me if this makes me a faker or a phony in your mind. Regardless of how you feel, I intend to continue enjoying the wonderful research I am getting from the rest of the site as well as the excellent posts I have found on the WWW forum from both sides of the aisle.

P.S. Your assumptions that I am a far right-winger are incorrect in many ways and correct in others. I do tend republican, but only on crime, national security, and taxes. Most other topics I am very much a lefty on.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="norcalgolfer"]@juliette

Since bbmedos dealt with most of what you said quite well I won't bother. And yes, the links came originally from bbmedos as well.

I will however comment on my reason for being here on this site, as well as why I have only posted on this forum, even though I don't see how it pertains to the arguments made.

Juliette wrote:

All About Romance sure seems to imply it's about romance novels, not politics. You will likely never see me post in any other forum, it is counter to the main reason for me being here. This week I am rereading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Yep, you caught me, not a romance novel. The truth is I have read no more than 20 "romance" novels, and considering how voraciously I read that is pathetically few. This brings me to the real reason I am here on this site.

Writing

Interesting explanation, all around. However, on this site we are pretty much all voracious readers and it may come as a shock to you, but many of us read outside of the romance genre. Come to think of it...some of us may have read that Stephen King series as well. So, you see you could post on other boards about your reading. You can do your research and share your reading interests. At any rate, good luck on your writing and research about women who read romance novels, or is that not the topic?
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But by refusing to participate on the other boards, while choosing to read them for "research," aren't you merely using the posters for your own benefit? A definite no-no when it comes to that species you are doing research on known as women, you know. Why not throw in a comment or two? The boards are often hungering for a male perspective - fellow writers like me for instance. Why deprive us on the other boards of your knowledge? It's only fair.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing xina's and Lee's invitations to join the other message boards, norcalgolfer. I too read a lot outside of the romance genre, as do many others here, and all posts are welcome regarding books. Now if you don't get many replies, that may dissuade you from further posting; but that would be your own decision and not ours. As far as I'm concerned, if this is the only forum you choose to be active on, so be it. I don't find that a problem since it is titled the Wild, Wild West (anyway, as wild as we get, that is). Laughing

Last edited by Tee on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
norcalgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks xina, lee, and tee
Yes, I am well aware that most of the people on this site are voracious readers, and not just of romance novels (including the person who recommended the site). I could post regarding the other books, however it comes down to time. When I am doing research on this site, I am looking specifically for thoughts and opinions of women. The books I am writing have nothing to do with women that read romance novels, not even remotely close actually. I won't explain what it is about because aside from the aspects of letting out a very original story, it would also diminish my burning need to write the story. The WWW forum takes up very little of my time, but even that needs to be rationed. The reason I will probably not post on any other of the forums is because I am trying to remain focused on the story I am writing. It is far too easy for me to be side-tracked on a subject, so right now I am reading very little, and writing much.

Romance is a genre that is primarily read by women, and therefore presents a great opportunity to analyze the way women readers think. I doubt the subject matter of my book will be very popular outside of women readers, mostly because the men in it are mostly weak, and the women strong, and many men have problems with this. I have 3 very strong-willed, incredibly intelligent sisters whom I respect tremendously, and they are a big part of the inspiration for my story. But in spite of the fact that I know women better than most men, I must know more. I want my story to resonate deeply with women readers, so I need to know more about women readers.

When this book is completed, and I take a break before starting the next, it is likely I will comment about other books on the other forums, but since I am in the first 1/3 of writing this book it will likely be at least 6 months before that happens.
norcalgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further into my research and writing of this particular book, I intended to make comments in order to analyze specifics. I hope nobody feels I am "using" the posters and providing nothing in return. My return may not be immediate, but I think if you all knew what my book is about (sorry I can't tell, I really want to) you would agree that I am definitely making my effort at contributing. I greatly appreciate women, and women readers in particular, I think you are the life blood of writers as I know far fewer voracious male readers than female (of fiction). As for helping you out with a male perspective, especially the writers, well... you're right, I should be helping and I apologize. I can't say how soon I will be able to help with that, but I can promise to make the effort to find the time as soon as possible.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalgolfer wrote:
...but I think if you all knew what my book is about (sorry I can't tell, I really want to) you would agree that I am definitely making my effort at contributing.

Well, it certainly does sound a bit mysterious. Right up my alley, since my favorite genre is suspense. However, if you haven't already forgotten about us by the time the book is out to print, do let us know then. The mystery will be cleared up and we'll see how women romance readers played into it.

Now back to the Obama game. Actually, I think this particular story, including the beer summit, is already out to pasture. But I don't think we've heard the last of "beer summit." It may just prove to be one of those phrases that says so much in so few words to describe other events.
norcalgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tee,
It is a bit of suspense, a bit of sci-fi, and more than a little bit rebellious Smile I think the premise will give a lot to think about, for both men and women. The chances of me forgetting about AAR and the people of it is about as likely as me forgetting about my sisters, I am very excited about the response from all of you, and the posters of AAR will have a big part in a lot of the little details which I hope will make the world I am creating become real to readers, women in particular.

On Beer Summits,
Hanging out and talking over a beer is definitely more in touch with us commoners than what I usually see from politicians, and the picture of Obama with his shirt sleeves rolled up is kinda nice. I haven't changed what I think of Obama in particular, but I would love it if we could get more realism like those things in the future from politicians across the board.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When he inadvertently starts a war, maybe, because he's got such a lot to learn?

Better then a president who purposely starts a war where there is no business being one!!!!!

Quote:
Speaking of starting wars, I'm still puzzled as to what we're doing in Afghanistan. Can anyone explain our actual mission there? How do we know if we won?

Ah, perhaps helping out the Canadian and British soldiers who have been dying there in roadside bombs - the Canadians who are in thickest area of fighting while the rest of the world turns it's back except for a few supportive countries - in the country where any retaliation SHOULD have been launched, instead of Iraq where thousands of brave young soldiers have died needlessly based on an Administrations ability to lie to an entire nation abetted by the press?

Does the American media EVER make mention of what other nations are doing? We hear in Canada what is going on in the rest of world.

How many are aware that here in Canada we don't hide those who have died in battle - rather we honour them
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2008/11/11/7372241.html

Keep in mind this was done last year. There have been many more who have died since then.

I have to get off this board. It's making my blood pressure to high.
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Kristie, that's _exactly_ what I was thinking, but just didn't want to get embroiled again. But since there is such demand in some quarters for questions and answers, how about those someones posting links to the lies President Bush told the American people to get approval of his irrational war in Iraq. That would reassure me that this thread is not just a hatchet job on Obama, but a fair and non-partisan thread questioning all leaders, as claimed.

And Kristie, I just wanted you to know, that as the daughter of a retired US Army Colonel, I pray for all soldiers every night, no matter what flag they fight for.

PS My dad knew going into Iraq was ridiculous even before Powell appeared at the UN.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
That would reassure me that this thread is not just a hatchet job on Obama, but a fair and non-partisan thread questioning all leaders, as claimed.

Please point out any link I posted that was hatchet job on Obama or for that matter any specific opinion I might've expressed that was.

Also, when did I ever say I wanted to or was going to discuss Bush or his administration in any way, shape or form? If that's what you want, then you'll have to find someone else to talk to. OTOH, please do not make any assumptions from that that I agreed with everything the previous administration did just because I simply refuse talk about those issues forever. Because you would be wrong. There's too much important domestic policy stuff happening now that's too critical to the future of both my family and this country to want to waste my thought processes on rehashing the past.

As to my saying that Obama might inadvertently start a war that wasn't as much about him specifically as it was about respect for the Office of the President and acknowledging the power of the position he holds. For someone in that position simple words are extremely powerful, so passing off a comment like the one he made about the police as "Oh, he's still learning" just doesn't cut the mustard by any standard of the imagination. Do you know how many times over the last few weeks I've heard people say something along the lines of "He's only human and should be allowed a knee-jerk reaction" also in excusing that statement? You know what I say to that? You really want my opinion of that crap?

For the next three & half years he's the President of the United States of America and the leader of the free world. He has the lives of most of us in his hands. Literally. And I'm not just talking about people in this country. He's not allowed knee-jerk reactions. About anything. Seriously.

Which is why I see it as an unacceptable comment for any President to make and I'd have thought that about Bush, Clinton or any one else. I truly am an equal-opportunity critic in that regard. Yes, the job really is that unforgiving. Or does that only apply to previous occupants?

So, if believing, thinking and saying that as well as providing links to other people who might have similar thoughts is a hatchet job, so be it. Otherwise show me what else I've said or linked to that is.

(And now you know why I try to keep my posts brief and to the point. Wink )
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"rehashing the past"

Armed forces from the US and other countries are _still_ patrolling and fighting and dying in Iraq because they were sent there 7 years ago. But, no, let's demand to see the "Official Records of Births of all Children Really Born in America and Not Smuggled in from Kenya" from the state of Hawaii instead. Talk about out of the loop.
LizE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a wonderful (but too-short) vacation at the Jersey shore, where I spent my time ignoring the news, building sandcastles and swimming. Oh, and watching dolphins--which was awesome and quite educational. Did you know that they're very amorous creatures? I had no idea. But everywhere you looked, they were busy churning the water--which is my new favorite euphamism.

I see you've all been thinking and having spirited discussions while I pondered dolphin lust. Great reading--well, except for the parts where people attack each other for differing beliefs. That seems to me to be counter-productive. Because who our president is and how he and his administration go about the business of governing America isn't an article of faith, it's a collection of facts. Forget the spin. Forget the partisan politics. They've divided us long enough. We live in a country that's supposed to be governed by the people and for the people--and that means we all have a duty to be informed. Debate is part of the process and disagreement is a given. But hopefully, by talking about these issues, we'll all get a bit closer to the truth. It's incredibly important that we all make that effort, or we're just a bunch of sheep being led around by our fears.

Stepping down from soapbox now. Before I left, I posed a question about what we're doing in Afghanistan, and Kristie said . . .

Kristie(J) wrote:
Ah, perhaps helping out the Canadian and British soldiers who have been dying there in roadside bombs - the Canadians who are in thickest area of fighting while the rest of the world turns it's back except for a few supportive countries - in the country where any retaliation SHOULD have been launched, instead of Iraq where thousands of brave young soldiers have died needlessly based on an Administrations ability to lie to an entire nation abetted by the press?

I didn't know that the Canadians are on the front lines there and it makes me sad to think of all the soldiers who are dying. Which brings me to my original question: Why? WHY are soldiers dying in Afghanistan? At this point, what the heck are we attempting to accomplish? Overthrow the Taliban? Wipe them out completely? Put in a government we like? Support the government that's there now? But what about Al Qaeda? Aren't they in Pakistan, where Bin Laden may or may not be hiding? Are we still going after him or not? Wasn't that the whole point of going to Afghanistan in the first place, to get Bin Laden and his network? If that's not the plan now, what is? If we don't have a clear mission, how will we know if we've accomplished it--and we need to know, because there are a lot of people dying over there (ours and theirs) and a lot more people making money off the carnage. So please, someone tell me, what's the point of it all?

I'm revealing a lot of ignorance, so please be kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: