AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eurovision

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Eurovision Reply with quote

I figure I can't be the only one who watched last night. Any opinions on the songs, if one can call most of what was performed "songs"? Do we know why the Ukranians felt the need for Roman centurions on stage and why the Albanian singer was stalked by someone from the Blue Men Group? And how that rather bland Norwegian song picked up so many votes? Or how come nobody noticed that Turkey has been recycling their song since they won with it - what, 7 years ago (couldn't be bothered to check when)?

Personally, I liked Iceland's entry, and I thought the German song was hilariously campy to begin with - and then they actually brought out Dita von Teese! But I knew most people wouldn't get that one.

ETA: added links.[/b]

Last edited by Yulie on Sun May 17, 2009 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
tirlittan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not the only one who watched it. Wink This year I was watching alone though which meant that I ended up channel surfing and "missed" many entries...

I quite liked the Estonian ballad, though I'd have wished that the cellos and violins and stuff would have been used more thoroughly/audibly, now they kind of fell under that disco beat too much. What's the use of having them on the stage if you can't hear them in the act?

I also liked the French (very dramatic + a woman with a voice) and (oddly enough, don't relly know why) the Russian song. She looks a lot like a good friend of mine though, maybe that has something to do with it. ;)

In general any entry that sang in their own language seemed to appeal to me this year. I was also pleasantly surprized at how many actual songs there were in the final this year. (ETA: LOL, I just reread your comment about this, I guess my channel-surffing payed off?) Maybe this jury thing really is a good thing in that regard?

I can't really remember that Turkey song, I pretty much tried to turn the channel whenever there was an entry that had girls in teeny tiny bikinis/dresses as a protest against that trend. Twisted Evil You might have the best song ever, but I'm just so tired of seeing that. I saw one though: can't remember which country it was from, a song about the balkan girls being the best at partying or something. A definite contender in the "Worst in Show" -category for me.. (It was Romania. What's the connecting theme in the costumes, the set, the choreography and the song? Nothing, that's what. Razz )

The Norwegian song had a nice rythm to it, but I just couldn't get past the LOL of a 19 yr old singing about his great love "..years ago when I was younger..". Rolling Eyes Kudos to him for performing his own song though. And I liked the dancers who did those amazing push-ups in the performance. Just wish they'd shown more of them rather than the kid.. But on the positive side of things: at least he can actually sing and he kept all his clothes on the whole time. Wink
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan wrote:
I saw one though: can't remember which country it was from, a song about the balkan girls being the best at partying or something. A definite contender in the "Worst in Show" -category for me.. (It was Romania. What's the connecting theme in the costumes, the set, the choreography and the song? Nothing, that's what. Razz )

Naturally they got 12 points for that from Moldova Laughing .
tirlittan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovision Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
why the Albanian singer was stalked by someone from the Blue Men Group?

Just took a look at it on youtube Wow. Not only does she have a Blue Man Stalker, there're two vampires twirling on their heads as well! ROFL!

ETA: I've a feeling that Germany's song's gonna get a lot of play-time at clubs this summer. Wink I missed this one in the final, it's a lot better than I thought it would be from all the hype about Ms. Teese's nipples been shown.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughters & I watched it. We liked Germany best. Got to confess, we're not very musical as a family - so we were probably won over by his shiny trousers.
However clearly most of Europe didn't agree. (Think the UK may have given Germany 7 points or something like that, so we weren't the only ones in the UK who liked it.)

Iceland - I don't know about the rest of Europe - do you have those dolls that hide toilet rolls?

Because we spent a lot of time talking about the dress, and it's suitability for toilet-roll concealment, and mostly missed the song.

And the UK song - there'd been a lot of talk about it here, because we've done so badly for so many years now, and the BBC's Big Idea was to get Andrew Lloyd Webber to write it, and see if that improved our chances. But why not employ a better lyricist?

I didn't terribly like the Norwegian song (though, as I said before, I'm not musical, and shouldn't try to judge) but I thought the singer had a good deal of charm, and I think perhaps people voted for that.

If the Ukranian was the one in red with the glittery boots (I know she had male dancers, didn't quite register they were centurions) our commentator had it that she's mortgaged her flat to pay for her set. Seems odd, you'd think the Ukraine broadcaster would pay.
tirlittan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:

Iceland - I don't know about the rest of Europe - do you have those dolls that hide toilet rolls?

Because we spent a lot of time talking about the dress, and it's suitability for toilet-roll concealment, and mostly missed the song.

LOL Haven't seen those "live". Wink I kept thinking about Amy Adams in that Disney movie and then singing at the Oscars (last year?). Very Cinderella-like...

Having seen the Norwegian entry now several times (don't ask!) I think that they actually had a pretty good, well thought out performance to spur their sucess too. There are new things happening on the stage pretty much throughout the song. No awkward pauses in choreography etc. Makes it a memorable act.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In last year's thread, I wrote that I really hoped the intermission performance would feature some ice skating in honor of Evgeni Plushenko's contribution to last year's winning entry. But no, they had that stupid swimming pool thing. What a missed opportunity: Dima Bilan, last year's winner, has apparently spent several months on Stars on Ice or whatever it's called (partnered by Elena Berezhnaya, no less). It would have been cool if they'd had ice skating. Argh.

This will always be the greatest Eurovision song ever. It can't be topped as the song most true to the spirit of the event. And this is the best Eurovision song ever. Much better than Waterloo.

* I think the link is to the reprise after she'd won rather than the competition performance.
tirlittan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the times when they had an orchestra instead of these playback tapes..

I'd never come across Dshingish Khan before, but I agree it's in a class of its own. Wink I'm glad to see that the Finnish entry last year continued on this tradition of bare chested men singing "Huh! Hah!" :lol:

Tu te reconnaîtras is familiar to me, as it still gets radio play in Finland. It's beautiful. That same year the Finnish entry was Tom Tom Tom. It came in 6th in the competition. Before Lordi's win it was the best Finland had ever done in the contest, I think.

They sure don't make them like they used to, anymore!
Cora

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on holiday and only got to see the voting in the hotel (and totally forgot it was on, so I didn't even get to vote for my country either), so the only songs I have heard/seen were Germany, the UK (because that's where I was on holiday), Israel (there was a report about it on a cultural program) and Norway (because they won). Of those four, I liked Norway the least. I'm still boggled that it won and scored so highly, because IMO it's a rather forgettable song. Though at least there were no girls taking their clothes off on stage, which is a big plus in my book. And yes, I know the German act had Dita von Teese on stage, but at least Ms. von Teese has some class, whereas the crotch-baring dancers from Azerbaidjan or wherever they were from looked like random hookers picked up from the street.

"Dschingis Khan" truly was awesome. I wish Germany would have won with that one (I think they came in fourth) rather than with the insipid "Ein bißchen Frieden" (girl with guitar warbles on about wanting peace - war suddenly looks very appealing) three years later.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
"Dschingis Khan" truly was awesome. I wish Germany would have won with that one (I think they came in fourth) rather than with the insipid "Ein bißchen Frieden" (girl with guitar warbles on about wanting peace - war suddenly looks very appealing) three years later.

1979 was a really good year - there was Hallelujah, a really cute Spanish song in second, and Anne-Marie David (who won in 1973 with the fantastic Tu te reconnaîtras) in 3rd. But Dschingis Khan, even though it finished 4th, will always be one of the more memorable ESC songs. I thought they should have featured it in the 50th anniversary show they did a few years back.

Recent ESC winners have been pretty bland. And Turkey and the Ukraine have been recycling their winning songs every year since winning, and, I strongly suspect, recycling the outfits and just shredding them a bit more each time. At least in the Norwegian song everyone was dressed - you're right, they do deserve some points for that.
Cora

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Hallelujah was a really good Eurovision winner and one that actually still gets airplay thirty years later, while the winners from a few have faded already. Though interestingly, while I do remember Hallelujah winning, I never remember that it was the one that won against Dschingis Khan.

The curious thing is that I don't even remember anything about last year's winner, neither name nor title, except that comment of the German commentator who rather unflatteringly called the winning song "Russian prostitute pop".
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
The curious thing is that I don't even remember anything about last year's winner, neither name nor title, except that comment of the German commentator who rather unflatteringly called the winning song "Russian prostitute pop".

I remember Evgeni Plushenko showing up to skate in the background and, if I'm not mistaken, sing background vocals. I do believe that makes Plushy the only person to have won Eurovision and an Olympic gold medal. Am I right?

The song itself was beyond bland, but at least it wasn't completely awful or offensive.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favourite was the Greek entry and his pelvic thrusting. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: