AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sense and Sensibility the movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Sense and Sensibility the movie Reply with quote

This year, for Mothers Day my kids and DH gave me a great camera and I got to watch movies I wanted to see (no Nick Jr or Fantastic Four yaaa!). I saw Nottinghill and Sense and Sensibility. I hadn't seen S&S literally since the first time I saw way back when in the 90's I'd guess. Funny how time can change the way a person sees things. This time around I was much more impressed with Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman's romance than that of Emma Thompsons and Hugh Grant who are supposed to be the stars, no? And I have to say it's because of HG's underwhelming portrayal of "the man who's name has an F in it" Edward Ferrars. Maybe it's because I've seen Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice. Anyway, I completely loved how Alan Rickman proved over and over through all of his actions how much he cared for Marianne. I thought his acting was just stellar. Other things I noticed. I thought it weird that HG's hair looked like 90's hair while everyone elses looked more appropriate for the time. I couldn't help focusing on it as he has so much of it. Also, I hated how he walked in that awkward way. In other films I've loved Hugh Grant.. Bridget Jones, About a Boy and Love Actually.. just not this one. A shame as I thought Emma Thompson was great. I wish she'd had someone different to play opposite for her love interest. Still, I really enjoyed the movie and it's got me wanting to see more movies like this one. What are some of the best that feature that time period?
I loved the clothes in this movie! Now when I'm reading a Lisa Kleypas or Mary Balogh for examples I'll have a better picture in my mind from those beautiful dresses. I'm guessing they are around the same time period as many of the European historicals?.. someone let me know if I'm wrong.
library addict

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the movie version of S&S. I love Emma Thompson, but as good as she was in the role she really was too old for the part.

But I've always enjoyed the Marianne/Colonel Brandon love story more than the Elinor/Edward one, even when I read the book. Having the part of Colonel Brandon played by Alan Rickman was an added bonus Wink

Have you see the BBC mini-series of Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South? It may be set a bit later, but Daniela Denby-Ashe wears some lovely outfits in it as does Jo Joyner who plays the sister of the hero.

And though they take place much later in the century IIRC, the movie adaptations of An Ideal Husband and The Importance of Being Earnest each feature lovely costumes (and the latter has Colin Firth Wink ).

Not sure when it is set, but the Jim Caviezel version of The Count of Monte Cristo is another movie you might consider. And Princess Caraboo with Phoebe Cates (though there isnít much of a romance in that one).
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: movie Reply with quote

I also saw Sense and Sensibility recently and enjoyed it very much. Totally agree with your take on Alan Rickman. I am chuckling as I read your comments about Hugh Grant. Did you know this movie won the acadamy award for best adapted screenplay in 1995? I just watched Bride and Prejudice (Ballywood style) and that was fun to figure out which characters were which from the book.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I love the adapted screenplay! Very Happy After watching the movie, I borrowed the book from my high school library and was extremely disappointed. Laughing

I agree that the Marianne/Colonel Brandon love story was very, very well done.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire: I totally agree that Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet's characters' romance was so much better than Emma and Hugh's characters. In fact, I thought Emma and Alan's characters should have been paired together. I think Hugh Grant was a miscast.

Kayne: I saw Bride and Prejudice too. Excellent take on P&P. The guy who played Darcy was quite good looking.
Claire

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Claire: I totally agree that Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet's characters' romance was so much better than Emma and Hugh's characters. In fact, I thought Emma and Alan's characters should have been paired together. I think Hugh Grant was a miscast.

I had the same thoughts about AR and ET's characters. When they showed them in the same scenes they just seemed a good match. I think maybe their looks and age has a little to do with it because it just looks like they could be a couple. Also it just seemed like their characters understood each other so well. Especially when KW's character was so dimwitted and oblivious to everyone but herself. Now that I think about it, weren't there more scenes with those two then with AR and KW?

Like the new book with the zombies and Pride and Prejudice and that other treatment where the girl goes back in time to P&P, maybe someone should write a book and change the couples around in S&S. I think I would like it better. No zombies though please! Rolling Eyes
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
LeeB. wrote:

I had the same thoughts about AR and ET's characters. When they showed them in the same scenes they just seemed a good match. I think maybe their looks and age has a little to do with it because it just looks like they could be a couple. Also it just seemed like their characters understood each other so well. Especially when KW's character was so dimwitted and oblivious to everyone but herself. Now that I think about it, weren't there more scenes with those two then with AR and KW?

I think you are right. KW's character was always mooning over the guy who eventually dumped her.
mit89

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up liking the BBC version that they did in 2008 a little better simply because I didn't like Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant that much either.

Someone mentioned North and South and I must say that one is my all time favorite. It took me a while to get into it but once I did, I was hooked.
library addict

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mit89 wrote:
I ended up liking the BBC version that they did in 2008 a little better simply because I didn't like Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant that much either.

I liked Charity Wakefield who played Marianne in the BBC mini-series quite a bit. Actually most of the actors did a good job. What ruined the mini-series for me was the ridiculous duel scene Rolling Eyes and the even more over-the-top stupid chopping wood in the rain scene Shocked

Also the age difference in the 95 movie between KW and AR didn't bother me at all. Yet in the mini-series, I felt David Morrissey who played Colonel Brandon had no chemistry with the actress who played Marianne, so his sexy, longing looks came off as that of a lecherous old man to me. As I said earlier, the Marianne/Col Brandon romance is my favorite part of the story, so being unable to enjoy it in the mini-series made me sad.

Another movie you may want to check out for the costumes, Claire, is the Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour/Ian McKellan version of The Scarlet Pimpernel.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Sense & Sensibility Reply with quote

Didn't Emma Thompson meet Greg Wise on the set of S&S? He played the villain who broke Marianne's heart, but he and Thompson are still together in Real Life as far as I know.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sense & Sensibility Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Didn't Emma Thompson meet Greg Wise on the set of S&S? He played the villain who broke Marianne's heart, but he and Thompson are still together in Real Life as far as I know.

Yes, and they have a daughter who must be around 8 or so by now.

I think Hugh Grant and Emma are quite good as a couple in this. I agree that he was awkward in the film but his character in the book is modest and self-effacing to a fault, and I think they conveyed that very well. I really love this movie. I held on to this one when I sold most of my DVDs before my last move.

Another lovely Austen movie is Persuasion (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114117/ ) It's more restrained and perhaps less passionate than S&S, but it's very sweet and sincere and truer to the book and the time period in my opinion.
Claire

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sense & Sensibility Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

Is that the man who played Willoughby? I thought he was gorgeous!
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sense & Sensibility Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
Susan/DC wrote:

Is that the man who played Willoughby? I thought he was gorgeous!

Claire: Yes, that was Willoughby. I agree that he was gorgeous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: