AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irena Sendler movie & The Fake Fiance dilemma solved

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Irena Sendler movie & The Fake Fiance dilemma solved Reply with quote

Bit of a dilemma for me tonight (Sunday) on television. Two movies, both of which sound really good, are on around the same time.

One is the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler. It's based on the true story of 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Irena Sendler, who is credited with saving the lives of 2,500 Jewish children during World War II.

As a Polish Catholic social worker in the early 1940s, Irena Sendler created and led a conspiracy of women who moved in and out of Warsaw's Jewish Ghetto disguised as nurses employed by Warsaw's Health Department. Though they worked under the guise of merely attempting to prevent and contain the spread of Typhus and Spotted Fever, Sendler and her brave cohorts emerged each time with the children of consenting Jewish parents. The children were sometimes sedated and hidden inside boxes, suitcases and coffins as a means of rescuing them from their imminent deportation to death camps. They were given new identities and placed with Polish families and in convents. Sendler kept a hidden record of their birth names and where they were placed with the hope that they would some day be reunited with their own families.

The other movie is on the Family Channel and sounds more trite, but funny and cute. It's titled The Fake Fiance.

So I've figured out a way to see both without taping it because I don't have a DVD player. The Fake Fiance is shown back to back from 8-10 and from 10-12. Irena Sendler movie is on from 9-11. I'll watch one hour of The Fake Fiance from 8-9. Watch the Hallmark movie from 9-10:30, then back to the last hour of the Fiance movie from 10:30-12 (during its second segment). I think it'll work.

I watch so little television, so I really hate it when two programs I want to watch are shown simulatenously. This one holds workable options, though.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, do you also watch "The Amazing Race?" Hate to make things worst for you, but that is also on tonight, around 8:00 p.m., depending upon whether sports events and 60 Minutes runs over.

However, I believe Amazing Race episodes are also put online at CBS' site. So, after it's aired on the West Coast, it will probably be uploaded there and you can watch it on another night via your computer.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Marcia Gay Harden, and this movie looks so wonderful. Fake Fiance looks really cute though...exactly like a romance novel, at least that was my impression watching the previews.
I have been watching Celebrity Apprentice on Sunday night. I don't know why, but I've been enjoying it. I think I am a new fan of Joan Rivers. I will probably watch Irene Sendler tonight.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Tee, do you also watch "The Amazing Race?" Hate to make things worst for you, but that is also on tonight, around 8:00 p.m., depending upon whether sports events and 60 Minutes runs over.

No, Sandlynn, I don't watch that program. I don't even know what it's about. See what I mean about not watching a lot of TV. I think throughout the week there are only three programs I really want to watch, one is on the EWTN channel, another is American Idol and now the third is Rescue Me. I'm so happy that it has returned. So far it's proving to be a pretty good series this year. It got rather hooky the third season or so.

xina wrote:
I will probably watch Irene Sendler tonight.

And, xina, remember, I found a way to watch both movies. That works for me!
Claire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about Fake Fiance and might watch it. I googled it and
here is the synopsis ...

Jennifer (Melissa Joan Hart) has just bought her first house and spent all her savings on the down payment. If that isn't enough she has just been robbed. Vince (Joey Lawrence) is a ladies man and has a problem betting. He owes a lot of money to a guy named Shark. When seated next to each other at a wedding they show great dislike to each other. They both are awed on how much cash and gifts a bride and groom get. They start getting ideas. A week later they meet for lunch and stage a fake romance and engagement. As they lie to their parents and friends Jennifer gets caught up in planning a wedding and Vince the pressure of being a groom. As they spend more time together they start to fall for each other.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
I'm curious about Fake Fiance and might watch it. I googled it and here is the synopsis ...

I thought it sounded like a fun movie, Claire, when I first heard of it, so I knew I would at least attempt it.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you're slightly interested, I did get to watch both movies. I thought The Fake Fiance was cute, with lots and lots of stretches of the imagination. But that was okay. Sometimes a movie like this works okay, especially since it was raining last night. I won't watch it again, but it entertained well enough for the night.

The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler was very well done. A bit slow going in the beginning; but when it caught, it totally kept my attention. I remember when she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. Gore eventually won it, but then the stories began to come out about Sendler and they were pretty captivating. Hallmark Hall of Fame is one class act and their movies usually reflect that. Besides being informative, they choose fairly good actors also.

I felt like a true couch potato from 8-12 last night, but it was worth it. When my husband would occasionally come upstairs, he would ask which movie I was watching. And when I answered, he would just laugh.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up watching only part of Courageous Heart and most of Fake Fiance. During all this, I was on Skype with my daughter. I could have done all at once, but I hate to be staring at the TV while I'm Skyping with her. Oh well...I think I'll be able to find a DVD copy of Corageous Heart. I did like Fake Fiance. It was silly and light and reminded me so much of a romance novel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: