AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The only person to ever read/own that book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mingqi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Miss Sydney regency mysteries by Dawn Aldridge Poore. There are four books and I own them all. The heroine, Roxanne, can be overbearing and has admittedly exhibited a TSTL mentality once or twice, but she's endearing and it makes her a great foil against the laidback hero, Lymond.
Em

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read the Duchess of Asherwood and still have my copy. Another of my long time favorites is Red Adam's Lady by Grace Ingram and Bride of the McHugh by Jan Cox Speas.

Oh, Linda C. did you press the right buttons with Jan Cox Speas! I have all 3 of her books on my keeper shelf, and re-read My Lord Monleigh, My Love, My Enemy as well as The Bride of the McHugh every now and then. Love them every time!
Some years ago, Avon reprinted all three titles, so I was able to replace my tatty originals. Interestingly enough, right about that time, Harper Collins released a pb that was the most blatant plagiarism of Speas possible. To their credit, when I (and undoubtedly many others) pointed out wholesale passages lifted from The Bride of the McHugh in particular, they removed the book and the author from their lists. I kept a copy of the plagiarized book just for morbid interest. Moral of the story? there is always someone out there who has read the book that you might consider safely and utterly obscure!

BTW, I too have all of Elsie Lee's contemps and gothics on my shelves. My two favourites are The Diplomatic Lover and The Passions of Medora Graeme.
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Elsie Lee Reply with quote

[BTW, I too have all of Elsie Lee's contemps and gothics on my shelves. My two favourites are The Diplomatic Lover and The Passions of Medora Graeme.[/quote]

I had all the books too, but I just got tired of them (I probably read each about 20 times) and turned them over to my library for them to sell in their book sale.

And for the most part I don't miss them. I just think that I read them so much.
Susanna Kearsley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em wrote:
Oh, Linda C. did you press the right buttons with Jan Cox Speas! I have all 3 of her books on my keeper shelf, and re-read My Lord Monleigh, My Love, My Enemy as well as The Bride of the McHugh every now and then. Love them every time!

Me, too. (Except she actually wrote four books - her final one published was The Growing Season, an American contemporary). She's one of my all-time favourites. When I listed her in the "Authors I Love" corner of my web site, I mentioned I couldn't find much information about her, and invited anyone who knew more to get in touch. You could have knocked me over with a feather when her daughter, Cynthia (Cindy), emailed me with details and photographs that I was able to use to make a tribute page: http://www.susannakearsley.com/jan_cox_speas.html

In fact, if you're going to the RWA Nationals this year, Cindy Speas is going to be my guest at the awards banquet - you should hunt us down and say 'Hi', I'm sure she'd love to meet her mother's fans.
Em

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ms. Kearsley, for the web link--what a wonderful tribute to an author who gave us so much pleasure with those books. They were my introduction in the '60's to historical romance, and to the concept that "less is definitely more" when writing. I did know about The Growing Season--(I admit sheepishly that her historical novels were my favorites)-- but not that it was also her graduate thesis.

And what fun to see those old covers for her books! Much appreciated!
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The only person to read/own that book Reply with quote

LindaC wrote:
I also read the Duchess of Asherwood and still have my copy. Another of my long time favorites is Red Adam's Lady by Grace Ingram and Bride of the McHugh by Jan Cox Speas.

Here's another person who kept Red Adam's Lady.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine S wrote:

Anyone else read Maulever Hall by Jane Aiken Hodge ...?

I have read as many Hodge books as I could find. Wasn't Maulever Hall the Regency where the heroine lost her memory? My favorite is The Last Act, about a dying opera singer who goes to a small European prinipality to sing in the premiere of a newly discovered opera by Beethoven; it's a contemporary romantic suspense.

Kay

Last edited by KayWebbHarrison on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elaine S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Elaine S wrote:

Anyone else read Maulever Hall by Jane Aiken Hodge ...?

I have read as many Hodge books as I could find. Wasn't Maulever Hall the Regency where the heroine lost her memory? My favorite is The Last Song (I think that is the title.), about a dying opera singer who goes to a small European prinipality to sing in the premiere of a newly discovered opera by Beethoven; it's a contemporary romantic suspense.

Kay

Yes, indeed. And Mark Mauleverer was the standard by which I judged my Regency heroes for a long time! I read it when I was about 10 or 11 and it was another 7 years before I discovered Heyer.
Debbie F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine S wrote:

Anyone else read Maulever Hall by Jane Aiken Hodge or Elsie Lee's The Nabob's Widow?

Raising my hand too for The Nabob's Widow. I think it is still around my shelves somewhere...in hardback!
Jane A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The only person to read/own that book Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
LindaC wrote:

Here's another person who kept Red Adam's Lady.

I was sure I still had my copy of Red Adams Lady, but I can't find it anywhere. Crying or Very sad Looking online I see that it is selling for a bundle these days.
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of Red Adam's Lady that is falling apart Crying or Very sad! I occasionally consider buying another copy in spite of the cost.
kspears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of Red Adam's Lady also. Anyone ever read "The Reluctant Lady" by Iona Charles? There is a really big age difference in this one, but I remember really loving it years ago.
belize

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone ever read "The Reluctant Lady" by Iona Charles? There is a really big age difference in this one, but I remember really loving it years ago.

I may have read "Reluctant Lady" many years ago. Do you know if the hero is a widower with an ailing son when the heroine marries him?

Belize[/quote]
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!! I'm writing down the names of these books and authors because they sound good just based on everyone's enthusiasm.
Kass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one ever mentions The Burning by Jeff Fain either, but that's because it's at least as bad as The Eye of Argon ... yet not as fund to read.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: