AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing my morning newspaper--ugh...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Missing my morning newspaper--ugh... Reply with quote

I admit it. Even in this age of vast technology and being able to get the news from just about any source, I still enjoy the morning newspaper with a cup of coffee, bagel and my Lab waiting patiently (or not) for the last bite. Today is the first day of a different kind of arrangement here in the Detroit area. Our newspapers have gone to home delivery on only Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. On the rest of the days, the paper will be available at newstands and various other outlets and also by e-edition. So it's still there on a daily basis, but not at my driveway at 7:00am. What a bummer!

I think my husband will go out and get it daily on non-delivery days, but that's not until about 10 or 11am. He likes to sleep in and stay up super late. So here's a morning routine trying to rearrange itself and there are few alternatives other than to simply adjust. I enjoy the written word, but will attempt the abbreviated version of it on the Web since I don't want to read the entire e-version on screen. But, who knows? I may become a converted reader on the off-days. Time will tell.

This is as close to a vent I can get. Damn, I miss the couch and the paper and all that the little ritual entails.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Missing the morning newspaper Reply with quote

I feel your pain. We still have a daily newspaper here in Washington DC, but it seems to get smaller every week. I love looking at the paper online when I'm doing a directed search: an article about a specific topic or by a specific author or something that appeared last week. But what I don't get in the online version is the serendipity of turning the page and finding an article I never would have thought to look for. For example, the other day I read an article about Diego Maradona, former soccer star who is now coach of the Argentine national team. Since I have a son who was a serious soccer player for many years and another son who lived in Argentina, I was interested in the topic and read the article. I never would have thought to type Diego Maradona in the search function, but I felt a little bit wiser about the world after reading the article. That kind of thing happens all the time, and that's what I'm afraid I'll lose if there is no physical paper.

Plus, as you say, even with a laptop it's not quite the same as curling up on the couch with a hot cup of tea and the paper.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, I think true newspaper readers these days appear to be dinosaurs, a dying breed. So those who have depended on the TV or online services for their news updates and no newspapers at home probably don't quite understand those of us who now miss them or will in the future. Even just reading bylines by columnists, whether you agree with them or not, gives food for thought. Catching the news on TV doesn't quite give the details that a newspaper can.

But it's a reality that the newspaper industry has to change in order to survive. My husband picked up the Detroit Free Press today at the gas station. Instead of three main sections, it was only one section. ONE! The Detroit News had two sections--wow! How sad.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stopped getting the newspaper about a year ago, but still had the Sunday edition delivered. After about 6 months, we stopped that too. I just never read it, but my husband enjoyed it. I don't miss it at all, but I think he misses the Sunday paper. I don't know why he cancelled it knowing how much he liked it. (??)
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to navigate thru the e-edition of the paper this morning and my eyes are crossed already. How in heaven's name do all of you who use something like a Kindle handle that? I know my eyes are super sensitive to the light, so my computer brightness and anything connected with it are way toned down. But I could not handle the entire paper on line this morning and it's only one section. Maybe I'm missing something in trying to read it that way.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Newspapers Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Susan, I think true newspaper readers these days appear to be dinosaurs, a dying breed. So those who have depended on the TV or online services for their news updates and no newspapers at home probably don't quite understand those of us who now miss them or will in the future. Even just reading bylines by columnists, whether you agree with them or not, gives food for thought. Catching the news on TV doesn't quite give the details that a newspaper can.

But it's a reality that the newspaper industry has to change in order to survive. My husband picked up the Detroit Free Press today at the gas station. Instead of three main sections, it was only one section. ONE! The Detroit News had two sections--wow! How sad.

I definitely feel more dinosaur-like each day. I don't know how people who don't get a newspaper keep up with the world. I listen to the car radio during my commute to/from work, but the stories are too short and leave out too much -- I find myself with too many unanswered questions at the end of the story. And TV news stories are even shorter. This attitude, however, is dying out, as newspaper circulation numbers attest.

One side note, however, is that newspaper revenues are down not just because of a decline in the number of papers sold but because of a decline in classified ads. Classifieds used to be a major source of income, and it's one place where online competition (Craigslist, etc) has beat the papers to flinders.
Jane G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's true. I blame craigslist for the decline of newspapers.

As my dad is in the newspaper business, seeing the budget cuts, salary cuts, staff cuts, is pretty scary. They need to figure out a way to get revenue and quick. There have been a few interesting ideas thrown out there, though I wonder if any of them are entirely plausible--or if they would just be too little, too late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: