AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nora Roberts' four upcoming movies...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
What is fine on paper doesn't always come across the same on film...no matter who the screen writer is.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Although I have to say that Hallmark appears to know how to pick the stories and then the producers who match them. Most of their productions are successful. It's probably all in the numbers--meaning the budgets they have to work with.

Yes, I agree Tee. I have seen many Hallmark movies that are wonderful. I just think Lifetime must have a limited budget...or limited sights on what a movie should be. I know Nora Roberts is a wildly successful author, but her books just aren't strong enough for a movie...IMHO. I imagine that she is laughing all the way to the bank, and I assume her fans are loving it. On the other hand, would love to see some other romance authors granted a screenplay. I can think of about 10 authors offhand that have the depth in their novels to achieve some success. I would like to see Gabaldon given a chance...also, Paullina Simons, Lisa Kleypas, Pamela Clare...and the list goes on.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the trailers for these movies, a tad bit interested in watching them since I am a big fan of Emilie de Ravin. I shall come to them with no expectations concerning the actual book-to-movie adaptation since I've read two NR's, but Lifetime is known for its cheese factor. I just watched a psuedo-romantic suspense/film noir with Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia from BtVS) and found it painful to watch--particularly since the lameness of the writing and the melodramatic, overwrought, stilted emotions are what most people associate with "romance novels." Anyone have any opinions on the latest NR Lifetime movies?
bijoux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now convinced that the key to enjoying the movies is not having read the books. I haven't read Midnight Bayou and I actually though the movie wasn't half bad. It certainly flowed better than NL last week. But I also had no problem with picking things apart. I liked the surprise twist with the reincarnation, the friends were cute as was the scene at the bar when Lena and Declan simultaneously got info out of them. I also liked how their relationship progressed up until the declaration of love. That felt more as result of their past life than their present one. Still, nice chemistry, I liked them both as characters and Declan is an EXCELLENT dater. That was an awesome wow-face at the most ordinary gray top. Any guy who convincingly pulls that off has guaranteed himself second base at least.

Faye Dunaway got progressively weirder throughout the movie. She actually wasn't too bad at the beginning but as the thing progressed I wondered if granny wasn't growing some weed in the back. Plus, the way she pronounced Declan's name was annoying. And jeepers, Lucien was more wooden than i've seen in a long time.

The actress who played Lena's mom was pretty good. Anyone know who she is? Has Nora EVER written a book without at least one utterly lousy parent?

But overall, not too bad for this kind of thing.
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I didn't expect much but I actually enjoyed the movies quite a bit, Midnight Bayou being the favorite so far. I read these books about a year ago, when I first heard about the possible adaptions so I don't remember the details enough to complain Smile I liked how they incorporated the historical bits. Makes me wish there were more historical romance novels adapted for small screen, not just classics like Austen or Bronte.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity regular viewers of the Lifetime Network. Every time I go through the channels I see this obnoxious advertisement on the right hand corner of the screen. That's got to be annoying. Okay...we get it. Another Nora Roberts movie on Saturday....got to reminded of it 24/7...I guess.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I pity regular viewers of the Lifetime Network. Every time I go through the channels I see this obnoxious advertisement on the right hand corner of the screen. That's got to be annoying. Okay...we get it. Another Nora Roberts movie on Saturday....got to reminded of it 24/7...I guess.

That does annoy me, xina. In fact, I hate those bottom notes anytime they're shown on any station. Even when it's just the station ID. They could make the letters smaller if they feel the need is there to show it. Some of them are way too large.

I also dislike the reminders that pop up and are animated and take up quite a bit of space at the bottom. They're only on the screen for a while, but it's irritating just the same.

Kind of related, but different, is when the library slaps a large sticker inside the book covering interesting information about the author, book or similar stuff. There are other places they can put these things but usually don't take the time to consider what they're covering.
Marcella

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That annoys me too! And those notices seem to get bigger and flashier by the day. Add subtitles to it (it's hard to avoid them in Europe) and you don't know where to look.
I love the BBC: no subtitles, no notices, just the movie or series itself.

Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1517877219
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen those animated "Next up" banners on BBC programmes (mainly on BBC 3, come to think of it), though they're less common and less intrusive than elsewhere.
Marcella

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Somebody uploaded Northern Lights on Youtube.

After last year's movies and the posts here I was pretty pleased with it. It wasn't that bad at all. And I had never seen Eddie Cibrian before - not bad either (cute dimples by the way).

Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Noon--I liked it--the movie, that is. I thought the acting was quite good and I watched it thru to the end. Considering it was a Lifetime movie, I was okay with it. The book, in addition to being the story of Duncan and Phoebe, was also about the relationship between Phoebe and her mother and the disorder she was fighting a losing battle with. There were secondary characters in the book who were friends of her mother and they were a delightful bunch. I'm sorry they were not included in the movie, but I can see that trying to do so would have busied up the two hours way too much. I remember when I read the book that I thought Duncan was a fantastic hero. I still think that, although the movie again did not go into great detail.

One thing that was a bit opposite was that Phoebe asked him to marry her. Actually, she was reluctant to marry him at all in the book because of her mother's condition of not being able to leave home. Phoebe intended to live with her forever, I think, and the ending in the book rather supported that (along with Duncan, of course). From what I remember, it gave hope that maybe her mother's condition may change, but "don't count on it." Good book and a good movie.
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
One thing that was a bit opposite was that Phoebe asked him to marry her. Actually, she was reluctant to marry him at all in the book because of her mother's condition of not being able to leave home. Phoebe intended to live with her forever, I think, and the ending in the book rather supported that (along with Duncan, of course). From what I remember, it gave hope that maybe her mother's condition may change, but "don't count on it." Good book and a good movie.
Actually Phoebe proposed to Duncan in the book, too. She had to stay in the house because they were all bound by the terms of her Aunt's will (the house in the book was an historic mansion), but Duncan said he'd sell his house that he'd built for his mother before she took off for Vegas. A few of the lines of dialogue were lifted right from the book though the scene in the book was much longer.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me of that, library addict, even though I don't exactly remember it (not unusual for me). But now that you said it, I do recall that the house was tied up with stipulations. It was obvious, at least how I remember it, that Phoebe was caring enough with her mother, and left the impression that she wouldn't leave her in the house alone.

What did you think of the movie version of it?
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the best of the three new ones they have aired so far.

I was greatly disappointed with Northern Lights as it is one of my favorite NR books. I think it might have been an okay movie if someone who could actually act had played Meg Razz Nate was far too chipper in the movie version not to mention a much more dedicated cop in the book.

High Noon is my second favorite of the 4 books being adapted this time around. Obviously many of the subplots from the book were cut from the movie version. I particularly missed the Dave/Ava romance and the wonderful friendship between Duncan and Phin. I think the actors who played Arnie and Annie were well cast. And I liked the closer friendship between Phoebe and Liz in the movie.

I try to judge the movies as movies and not by how they compare to the books, but I do not always succeed Laughing
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
High Noon is my second favorite of the 4 books being adapted this time around. Obviously many of the subplots from the book were cut from the movie version. I particularly missed the Dave/Ava romance and the wonderful friendship between Duncan and Phin. I think the actors who played Arnie and Annie were well cast. And I liked the closer friendship between Phoebe and Liz in the movie.

I'll go along with you on all of the above. I think if they tried to fit in all of these things, the movie would have contained too much and not enough on the main happenings. But I missed them too because they helped make the story as great as it was.

The book Tribute was a DNF for me. I probably will not watch that one because of that; and the preview, together with the actors, didn't make it seem worthwhile.
Marcella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the first three movies on Youtube.
Sorry, but it looks like I'm gonna disagree with most of the other posters. :twisted:

Northern Lights was OK for me - like the male lead, did not like the female.

I liked Midnight Bayou - of course a big part of the plot had to be left out, but I think it made a pretty good movie. And although beforehand I couldn't believe they had cast Jerry O'Connell as Declan, after watching it, I liked him in that role. For me he is the laid-back NR hero. Didn't like the actress though. And yes, Faye Dunaway was strange, her part was strange.

I did not like High Noon. So many things were changed. I know they have to change and omit things, but - like last year's Montana Sky - in my eyes they changed things that made no sense. I had several wtf-moments. I also did not like the leads at all and thought they were just going to the motions and had no connection with each other or the story at all. Apart from Liz they were all like zombies.

Sorry to disagree completely!

I haven't seen Tribute yet (at the moment it has not been uploaded on Youtube yet), but I haven't read the book yet either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: