AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Time Reply with quote

Does anybody else hate DST as I do? Each year my mind and body have to go through some godawful adjustments, none of which I've ever been able to forestall.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Time Reply with quote

Actually, dick, I love Daylight Savings Time and am glad it comes earlier in the year now.

But you're right about the body adjustments. It usually takes up to a week for me to get oriented. My dog isn't too upset by DST; but when we go back an hour in the fall to regular time and she gets fed an hour later than usual, she doesn't take it nicely. I guess their inability to actually know time, they totally rely on their instincts, bodily functions and necessities to tell them their routine is off a peg or two.

You'll be fine in about a week and won't even be thinking about it. How about that extra daylight at the end of the day? I love it!
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dick. I could tolerate DST when it was just the summer, but now with it from Mar through Nov, I can't stand it. Last week there was sunlight when I drove to work; today it was dark. I would much rather have daylight in the morning than in the evening. The artificiality of the current time system does not agree with my individual system at all.
Kay
xina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

. How about that extra daylight at the end of the day? I love it!

I don't Crying or Very sad . Well, I do in the summer and spring when we can spend time outside, but in the wnter, I like the darkness. Besides, I walk my Beagle at night because there are less distractions and we can whip around the block in no time. Now...it is so much later when it gets dark. I'll get used to it, but I really don't like this early DST in March.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'm out of step once again. Geez, guys, I really do enjoy it. Makes me sound like a Pollyanna bouncing thru the tulips or something like that while I'm swimming against the tide here.

Well, don't lose hope. It's only here until November. Laughing
xina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Damn, I'm out of step once again. Geez, guys, I really do enjoy it. Makes me sound like a Pollyanna bouncing thru the tulips or something like that while I'm swimming against the tide here.

Well, don't lose hope. It's only here until November. Laughing

Oh, Tee...no, you don't sound like a Pollyanna. My husband loves it too. I just like darkness in the winter, but I've already gotten used to the time...and it's only been a day. I love it in the summer. We can sit on out patio, I can weed the garden (not). Oh...I'm not looking forward to weeding again!! I have to form a plan for the massive perennial garden I have. I'm thinking...sod...grass instead of flowers. hmmm
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather have darkness during the cold. I definitely feel out of sync. I normally get up at 5:15am and leave for work around 6:45am. When I went to leave this morning, I opened the door and DARKNESS. You know, at first I was so discombobulated I just stood there trying to figure it all out! I kept thinking "no wait, we sprung forward, so it's not really 6:45am it's 7:45am..." I spun that around in my head until I finally realized it was really 5:45am, right? Or did I get that wrong? Rolling Eyes I won't even tell you the mental wrangling I did when I realized my 12 hour allergy meds' time had to be reconfigured, too! Geez Louise, I'm a math teacher, too! Talk about making things more complicated than they needed to be! Embarassed
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
I'm a math teacher, too! Talk about making things more complicated than they needed to be! Embarassed

Now that's funny, jebe. I know I kept thinking back more than a couple of times yesterday as to exactly what time it would have been 24 hours earlier. You're probably right that we make it more complicated than it should be. My kids say just quit thinking about it and go with the time the clock says it is now and don't think backwards. Probably the sooner our minds accept it, the sooner our bodies adjust.

Last edited by Tee on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaneO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been able to see the point. How does changing the time on the clock make the sun stay up longer?

And I seriously doubt that there is any energy saving produced.
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
My kids just say quit thinking about it and go with the time the clock says it is now and that's it.

Truer words never spoken! I was doing what you were doing except I had that whole "spring forward" thing stuck in my head. So, even though I had changed all the clocks, I kept "springing forward!" Thank God the maintenance crew turned all the clocks forward on Friday b/f we left, otherwise who knows which way I would've gone! I always tell the kids, I'm not perfect, but I'm still in charge! Shocked
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always hated daylight saving time, too, and I hate it even more now it lasts longer and longer. Besides, I'm a nocturnal person. I actually like the dark.

The supposed benefits, conserving energy, have been proven not to exist, but there are a whole lot of drawbacks, e.g. animals (not just dogs, imagine a whole stable full of cows waiting to be milked) and babies having problems adjusting, problems for people on medication that has to be taken on a strict schedule, children having to go to school (and adults to work) in the dark, because the shift is too early in the year, the hassle of resetting clocks all over the house, the fact that longer light in the summer also means higher temperatures later in the evening, making sleep even more difficult than usual on hot days, etc...

All those drawbacks are very real and yet politicians the world over refuse to abandon daylight savings time, even though many people hate it.
dick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on everybody! I'm a sun and light lover, too, but hey, it would be just as easy and far less discombobulating if everybody who wanted to would just get up an hour earlier on the date DST starts, all the businesses would agree to new hours, etc. Despite not wanting to, perhaps, mentally we all operate by the clock. Being an insomniac, in order to sleep at all, I have to keep pretty rigid sleeping and rising routines. DST sends that schedule into never-never land. Hate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: