AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Signatures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amairwyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Signatures Reply with quote

This probably doesn't need it's own topic, but I didn't know where else to ask it- are we allowed to have pictures in our signature areas? I know most people on here don't, but is it against the rules? I wanted to ask since some forums allow them, some don't. Smile
To flee from my ivory tower"

Enter- Within Temptation
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing this answer also, since I've seen some images in the signature area that are so large, they become more significant than the message.

However, this is how the signature is described in the Profile--

Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Notice that is says a block of text (and not graphics or photos). Maybe the administrators can enlighten us more on this.

Also, I've seen some gigantic avatars on messages that exceed the limits of 100 x 100. It's really too bad because I'm sure all of us would like to have the larger ones if they were allowed.
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can upload avatars and place images within the body of your post (depending on pixel size). However, there are a number of reasons that photos canít be placed in the signature area.

First there is a sizing issue (I canít be exact with the technicalities Ė I just know there is).

Second Ė Some of our readers experience problems loading the pages.

And third - Allowing images in the signature area can also make it difficult to navigate the board. With banners and photos between posts as well as within posts, determining where one posts ends and another one begins can be challenging as well as confusing.

Hope this helps explain some of our limitations as well as the desire to keep the flow of discussions as smooth as possible.

Lea/AAR
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the restrictions Lea, but how do you enforce them with the posters that exceed these guidelines? I think the messages come across so much cleaner and neater without all the extra baggage.

There are a few, though, who seem to disregard the sizes, both in the avatars and the signature space.
Amairwyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lea. Very Happy
To flee from my ivory tower"

Enter- Within Temptation
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you all probably read in Sandyís sticky post she made on all of our boards in February, AARís new publishers are taking a hands-off approach to message board moderation. Our FAQ can provide answers to most questions concerning a posterís avatar, signature, or placement of pictures within a post. Since AAR allows only text in the signature (and limits it to 255 characters) we hope that this will assure easy navigation of the boards.

That said, we realize that at times posted images may still exceed our size limitations. If a reader desires to bring to the attention of AAR, the incorrect size of an avatar, signature or photo, they may contact me, and as Board Administrator, I will in turn contact the poster and ask them to adjust their profile.

We want this to be a good time for everyone but we also want you to be comfortable using the site. So, please use our contact form if you donít find your answers in our FAQ.

Thanks!
Lea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: