AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I miss Conan.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: I miss Conan..... Reply with quote

Did anyone watch Late Night With Jimmy Fallon last night? Conan's replacement...sort of. I thought the show was embarrassingly bad. I felt the urge to watch with my hands over my eyes. Eventually I turned it off, but did watch his 2 nervous interviews with Robert DeNiro and Justin Timberlake. I'll admit it, I'm not a fan of Fallon. He's too jittery and nervous and while he was funny on SNL, on his own he's just a bag of nerves. Oh well...an excuse to go to bed earlier...or read.
tirlittan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the new Late Night with Fallon, but seemed to me the clips from early Conan shows these last few weeks showed a 30something, nervous, twiching man whose mannerisms induce serious urges to avert my eyes. Laughing Hopefully it's just a case of beginner's jitters with Fallon, too. A really big part of the show are the sketches and the monologues for me. They set the tone of the show. Has Fallon done away with them?

I can't wait to see what Conan does with the Tonight show! Good luck to him and his team! (Or is it bad luck to say so? Break a leg, then!)

Last edited by tirlittan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trish B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina, I have to say, I had a similar reaction to Jimmy Fallon's debut. He came off like a hyperactive puppy. I didn't stick with it either and also found his interview with De Niro rather uncomfortable (did you notice that De Niro would hardly meet his eyes or even look his way?). I am a fan of Fallon's - I liked him on SNL and enjoyed him in FEVER PITCH - but only time will tell if his new take on Late Night will work. Frankly, I was never a big fan of Conan O'Brien and do wonder if he will work at 11:30. Seems to me the same type who watched his late night show would also likely prefer Letterman, so it should be interesting. I think the Leno viewers will likely watch him at 10:00 and then just go to bed. I actually prefer Craig Ferguson anyway. I like his cheeky Scottish humor Laughing
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan....Yes, Conan was nervous, jittery and just plain awful in the beginning of his run. That was 15 yrs. ago though and I'm not sure networks are as patient as they used to be. I wonder how long they will let Fallon flap in the wind? Hopefully, they will give him an equal opportunity. And yes, he does a monlogue. It was the normal...make fun of politicians and all. It was sort of funny, but he's nowhere near Conan's comic timing.

Trish...I felt the same way about the DeNiro interview. It was uncomfortable many times. I began to wonder why in the world they would choose him as Fallon's first interview. He's not easy with even the seasoned Leno and Letterman. His look of disgust a few times was sort of amusing, but uncomfortable to watch. And then...Fallon did the big no-no and started talking about himself. He should take lessons from Letterman who never talks about himself during an interview.
I'll try again tonight, if I'm still up. Just out of curiosity I suppose.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Jimmy Fallon - but I'm shuddering - and not in a good way - at the thought of Conan O'Brien. My husband used to watch him and I had to leave the room he bothered me that much!! When I heard he was taking over the Tonight Show - well that sealed it for me in never watching that show again.
Audrey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Fallon used to "do" DeNiro on SNL? I think even during one Weekend Update, he was doing him and then DeNiro showed up and was giving him some grief over his impression. So maybe that's why they had him on as his first interview.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am becoming a Craig Ferguson fan. I always wanted to watch him but kept going back to Conan. I watched him a couple times last week because I just can't take Fallon. Ferguson was great. I am new fan...when I can stay up that late.
Trish B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I am becoming a Craig Ferguson fan. I always wanted to watch him but kept going back to Conan. I watched him a couple times last week because I just can't take Fallon. Ferguson was great. I am new fan...when I can stay up that late.

What I like about Craig Ferguson is that underneath the jokes there is a thinking, curious person. What other late night host would have Archbishop Desmond Tutu as his one and only guest for the hour (which he did one day last week)? I think he does a good job of mixing humor and sometimes serious stuff. When his mother died a few months back, his whole monologue was about her - both poignant and very funny as well. He apparently did the same thing when his father died a few years back, but that was before I watched. He also brought a camera with him on the day that he became an American citizen which was really interesting.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Trish B"]
xina wrote:
When his mother died a few months back, his whole monologue was about her - both poignant and very funny as well. He apparently did the same thing when his father died a few years back, but that was before I watched. He also brought a camera with him on the day that he became an American citizen which was really interesting.

Yes, one of the few times I watched him was the show about his mother. Not only was his monlogue about her, but the entire show consisted of the times she was a guest on his show. He had done some extra filming with her too. I can't remember who the musician was, but he had done a spot with her following the musician around. She seemed like a really special person complete with that lovely Scottish accent. It was very, very touching to have him devote the entire show to her. what a guy.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Craig Ferguson... that cheeky Scottish humor, as someone else has said, his opening monologue is always funny, and sometimes stupid (the puppets) and yet never offensive. He's less likely to make 'fat' jokes about women (Letterman's staple) and he's memorable for the Britney monologue, the show about his mother... among many others. He seems more like a real person than some talk show hosts.

I used to love Letterman, but lately, his show has been flat. He's lost Rupert Gee, Will It Float, and other bits that were funny, and now just is boring to watch. Could never stand Conan. I do enjoy Leno's interview style, which is comfortable and yet not too obsequious. Now I'll likely watch Leno at ten, Letterman at 11:35 and Craig at 12:35! That's if I stay awake that late, during insomnia bouts when a deadline is approaching... like now.

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
xina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
Love Craig Ferguson... that cheeky Scottish humor, as someone else has said, his opening monologue is always funny, and sometimes stupid (the puppets) and yet never offensive. He's less likely to make 'fat' jokes about women (Letterman's staple) and he's memorable for the Britney monologue, the show about his mother... among many others. He seems more like a real person than some talk show hosts.

I used to love Letterman, but lately, his show has been flat. He's lost Rupert Gee, Will It Float, and other bits that were funny, and now just is boring to watch. Could never stand Conan. I do enjoy Leno's interview style, which is comfortable and yet not too obsequious. Now I'll likely watch Leno at ten, Letterman at 11:35 and Craig at 12:35! That's if I stay awake that late, during insomnia bouts when a deadline is approaching... like now.

Yes, Craig Ferguson is funny without making fun...all the time. I actually like his sophisticated sense of humor. It's growing on me... I was a big Conan fan. I liked his self-depricating sense of humor, but you are correct...he did make fun many times. I'm sure those people were never invited to be guests.
As for Letterman...He still does the Rupert bit. I saw him recently. And the will-it-float thing is still alive. I do think Letterman softened a little after the birth of his son. I also think that he does love his mother. She is so cute and getting up in years now. I love when she says..."oh...David". I get the feeling that she knows his sense of humor, but as she ages, she has to think a moment to get the humor, which I think, is done all in love when it concerns her. Anyway...I still watch Letterman. I am a night-owl..unfortunately, but try to get at least 6 hours in. zzzzzzzz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: